HatterasJack

Winemaker and gardener question (Digger?)

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

So some wins and losses with the 2nd year grapevines.   The 6 cab-sauv all budded, then we got a few late freezes and I think that did those buds in.  So no fruiting canes this year for them, but luckily all are sending up new growth from the bottom.  IMG_1151.JPG.586ee3f18341425d61e158a32084b6b5.JPG

The Chambourcin, on the other hand, are seemed unaffected by the late freeze.  I've read to not let them fruit for the first two seasons to let the energy go into vine/root growth, so a few weeks ago I must have pruned 30+ little grape bunches between 6 vines.   I left a few on, just for the fun of watching them grow this year.  IMG_1152.JPG.c155bcb6b0e35d1135c0746ff8396297.JPG

I definitely have some issues with brown spots, etc.  But I've been hands off this year.  Next year I'll try to get a decent crop and concentrate more on dealing with issues that arise.  Maybe by year 5 or 6 I'll have some idea of what I'm doing, cause I'm just winging it so far.    

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.164082f1f33e40b4bfd05846f1ec529b.JPG

3rd year started the same as the second for my 6 cabernet vines...   the main vine shoots out new canes, but none of the canes from last season buds and sends out fruiting vines.   Meanwhile, 3' away in my other row, the 6 chambourcin are all healthy and flourishing.   So, I decided to cut bait with the cabernet and ordered six more of the grafted chambourcin on the same root-stock.  Might as well goes with what works.   Ripped out the cabernet and planted the new vines this past weekend.  

Still haven't started any spraying regimen, but I probably should this year.  Need to :read:     Based off the little clusters forming, I'm gonna get a boatload of grapes this season.  

15 hours ago, fishfood said:

3rd year started the same as the second for my 6 cabernet vines...   the main vine shoots out new canes, but none of the canes from last season buds and sends out fruiting vines.   Meanwhile, 3' away in my other row, the 6 chambourcin are all healthy and flourishing.   So, I decided to cut bait with the cabernet and ordered six more of the grafted chambourcin on the same root-stock.  Might as well goes with what works.   Ripped out the cabernet and planted the new vines this past weekend.  

Still haven't started any spraying regimen, but I probably should this year.  Need to :read:     Based off the little clusters forming, I'm gonna get a boatload of grapes this season.  

Great stuff.  Cab probably not tolerating your winter low temperatures.  Start your spraying now.   Much easier to control any kind of fungus or mildew before you see it.  Think the minimum was once pre-bloom, post bloom and then a few weeks later.  

Read up on spray fungicides; didn't expect it to be so complex.  Ended up just ordering Bonide 861 Mancozeb that I read was a good pre-bloom spray for the most common grape fungus.  Then, shipping didn't arrive on time and I left for vacation for a week.  Finally got it on this past weekend, which was probably too late, but we'll see.   I'm kinda regretting it cause everything else in my garden is organic, so I'm not sure why I'm spraying my grapes.  

3rd year chambourcin on the right....  the blue grow tubes on the left are around the 6 new vines I used to replace the cabernet;  they've all sprouted and look good so far. 

IMG_1517.jpg.591b2ff0af67baf9b267f95437a69f7f.jpg

There are a ton of little grape clusters;  I think it's probably be beneficial to thin out about 1 of every 3.  

IMG_1518.jpg.4c31414856f884f89eb3e27a345b016d.jpg

Last year I didn't keep up with spraying and most of the harvest was lost, but this year I took it more seriously.  Our original 6 chambourcin are now 4 years old and kicking butt.  I had to add ground anchors and guy wires to keep the trellis from collapsing.  I think I thinned out about half of the young clusters.  The 2 year old vines (also chambourcin) produced a few small clusters, but those mostly became treats for the chickens. 

Picked in early Sept and the total harvest was just under 40lbs.  My kids stomped the grapes, and we had just under 4 gallons of must in primary. 

grapes.jpg.f35e78ca7d60b67abbb760a03cc708f6.jpg

Primary fermentation went well, and now after pressing have 3 gallons of juice in secondary.  I want to rack off the lees but my carboy delivery keeps getting pushed back by Amazon.  We've been tasting along the way...the original juice was sweet and tasty... as it went to secondary it tasted like crap wine.  Hopefully it'll be alright in time. 

IMG_2518.jpg.231e0b5218074b8ccbcca13b82514123.jpg

Also have two gallons of hot sauce fermenting.  One cayenne/carrot/garlic, and one habanero/blueberry.