Winemaker and gardener question (Digger?)

Rate this topic

Anyone who makes wine - do you use the grape crush in your garden??

The stuff left after you do the final press of the mush

turning the stuff into your garden bed(s)

I'm sure too much is not beneficial, but that's the case with most everything

your thoughts?

Edited by HatterasJack

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

Funny you asked that. I just put it in my back garden compost yesterday to see what it does. Supposed to be very good compost

The seeds have beneficial oil they release back intobthe ground

And its called pommace i think

Edited by Baccigalup
I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

Yup, first time I've done it after making wine for close to 20+/- years now

But a family member told me he used the press in his veggie garden with good success

so I just turned quite a bit of pressings into one box bed and that bed will be seeded with cold weather veggies tomorrow or Tuesday

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

My father in law who is from Italy told me not to use them. But i read the opposite and i cant beleive they will not make it fertile. I just turned my garden and will use the compost they make under the plants when i plant them. I have spot in my yard that i compost the leaves and grass clippings and i turn it frequently with a tiller. Soil is rich and makes great base for plants. I also bury my fish carcasses in the garden

They compost very well and add potassium and calcium to your compost. LARGE amounts can produce acetic acid, but I doubt the home gardner/winemaker has enoughg to be concerned about that, especially if mixing with other materials.

Only concern I would have is "so I just turned quite a bit of pressings into one box bed and that bed will be seeded with cold weather veggies tomorrow or Tuesday"....with any type of waste that is not already composted, this should be done at least two weeks if not longer before hand. The fungi and bacteria that occur when the breakdown of the composting material first occurs can also attack and "breakdown" the tender roots of young seedlings.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Around sixty years ago I lived on a chicken farm in Prinsville N.J. and my grandparents would make all types of wine. They would put the fruit into the press and squeeze the juice out and then throw the crushed fruit back into the barrel and then cover it. When the cover would move the wine was ready. My brother's and I would reach into the barrel and eat the fruit.After eating the fruit we never made it out of the barn, we go smashed...I can taste those apples peaches and pears.... 

Use them to make Grappa. woops my bad, that's illegal in the U.S.

Only illegal to sell it

They compost very well and add potassium and calcium to your compost. LARGE amounts can produce acetic acid, but I doubt the home gardner/winemaker has enoughg to be concerned about that, especially if mixing with other materials.

Only concern I would have is "so I just turned quite a bit of pressings into one box bed and that bed will be seeded with cold weather veggies tomorrow or Tuesday"....with any type of waste that is not already composted, this should be done at least two weeks if not longer before hand. The fungi and bacteria that occur when the breakdown of the composting material first occurs can also attack and "breakdown" the tender roots of young seedlings.

this stuff has been "cooking" in a black plastic garbage bag since October so may not be that bad as you describe

I also bury my fish carcasses in the garden

You and the Lene Lanape Indians of early NJ

this stuff has been "cooking" in a black plastic garbage bag since October so may not be that bad as you describe

Should have made grappa man. Mine as well but fermented twice. Still it needs to break down in the soil or it can burn the roots. Just bury it and turn it frequently

Only illegal to sell it

Grappa is a distilled spirit. It is illegal to posses, build and operate a still in the United States. Gray area is the manufacture of essential oils and you better be able to show them proof.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

Grappa is a distilled spirit. It is illegal to posses, build and operate a still in the United States. Gray area is the manufacture of essential oils and you better be able to show them proof.

Partially true. You can own a still in nj if its registered and you are distilling fuel alchohol. But you still need a license to do so i believe. Some states it is legal to posess a stil but illegal to use it for making alcohol. You can distill water

And a person is allowed to make up to 200 gallons or fermented alchohol for personal use

Either way not worth the risk

Edited by Baccigalup