YAKnDIVE

Bandsaw recommendation

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a new bandsaw. I have a Jet lathe that I like so thought about getting a 10" Jet bandsaw however the reviews are not that great. Considering a Delta. Might go with a 14" Jet or Delta if I can find one used. Any recommendations or input is appreciated

I needed a band saw for rod building, cutting cork, finesse type work, this is what a friend suggested I get

Darn!   I think I have been in that saw sharpening room, it is now gone with the wind when the mill was torn  down.

post-74279-0-44308400-1488059208.jpg

I have about 200 pounds of the band mill steel, it is excellent for making knives.

ry%3D400

Back to the band saw recommendation, a 14 inch Delta is my choice.  Still looking for one.

Edited by Silverado

Definitely go with the 14" if you can.

Unfortunately there's no smaller size thats quality made. If you keep an eye on Amazon they have the 14" jet on sale once in a while. Its worth every penny

Grizzly is the best bang for the buck. I was looking over a friend's 17", and it has my Rikon beat by a mile. If you don't have to move it around, go for the bigger saw. It's heavier, and therefore more stable, and the larger saws often come with features like geared adjustments and foot brakes (an amazingly useful accessory) and they are just a lot more rigid, which translates into better accuracy.

Darn!   I think I have been in that saw sharpening room, it is now gone with the wind when the mill was torn  down.

post-74279-0-44308400-1488059208.jpg

I have about 200 pounds of the band mill steel, it is excellent for making knives.

ry%3D400

Back to the band saw recommendation, a 14 inch Delta is my choice.  Still looking for one.

Those are some purty knives. Nice work.

I bought a new 12 in Craftsman several year ago and it has worked well for what I needed, and was slightly over 200 bucks new as I recall. Would have preferred a 14 in but the prices climbed a lot for those extra 2 inches. Guess it would depend on how much you plan to use it and for what. 

This is a good saw for the money. I would recommend a saw with cast iron wheels and a good fence. For building plugs you can get away with smaller saws but it's nice to be able to rip down stock when needed...I hate busting out the table saw for that.

post-3829-0-00780000-1488122137.jpg