TBD

Immigration and Customs Enforcement "ICE"

Rate this topic

271 posts in this topic

Cascade, we could on forever on the subject of lost access and the access we do have going to hell in a hand basket. Bottom line is, IME, we have assclowns on both sides of the fence.

Used to fish Oldfeild lighthouse. There was a small group of us, 6-8 guys. Never an issue, fished mainly from sunset into the night. Its a well to do area. Homeowners there had "service people" to preform various task, landscaping, pool maintenance ect.

The service people soon figured out heres a place for us to fish. Well it was the begining of the end. Garbage left on the beach, on the jetties, pooping on the jetties, urinating out in the open, keeping everything that they caught, drunkness, music blasting at night.  Plus being disrespectful to the homeowners.

Long story short, the village of Oldfeild closed off all access to non residents of the village.

So needless to say I don't have any compassion for people that are pigs, and don't adhere to simple society and DEC rules.

There were a few public meetings on Oldfield access. The residents, some paying $40K in taxes, according to them, made some VERY valid points! I had 2 homeowners come up to me and in their words" its not you guys in the rubber boots that are the problem"

I fished here too starting about 40 years ago and yes I'm well aware of "the problem" that existed, however.....why is it that these "residents" can accept federal funds to shore-up the bluff and then restrict access from the rest of us taxpayers? Sorry I have no sympathy for those who want it both ways. Funny they object to the bucket brigade on "their" beaches but have no problem with those same people cutting their lawns and cleaning their pools for $3.00 an hour! Please excuse the rant, this one is a personal sore spot. Unfortunately I feel their is another segment of society ($$$$) that has done far more through their actions to restrict public access than the "illegals"

Yes it is probably unfair to judge the wealthy for insulating themselves from the help.

Are you saying that the pool cleaner should have his own cabana or the chef have a chair at Christmas dinner, maybe the mechanic should get a set of keys to the Benz. Stop with the guilt throwing BS.

Cascade, we could on forever on the subject of lost access and the access we do have going to hell in a hand basket. Bottom line is, IME, we have assclowns on both sides of the fence.

No argument here from me.

Are you saying that the pool cleaner should have his own cabana or the chef have a chair at Christmas dinner, maybe the mechanic should get a set of keys to the Benz. Stop with the guilt throwing BS.

No argument here from me.

It's not guilt throwing; it is the way it has always been.

I doubt you would if you lived on it.

I deal with the very same issues that Cascade has articulated.

Edited by rollincoal

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! part of the problem many don't see the other side.

I agree and...

In some instances those that don't see the other side might not realize that they too will be the other side...

It was brought up earlier about labor on the East End of Long Island. If a visa of some kind gets issued for lack of   labor in areas, that's fine and legal. However it does not cover the whole family moving here and getting immediately on the dole. Potato farmers out here would hire temporary help for their harvests. the farmer would provide food and housing till work was complete. The migrant was then on hi/her way to the next job. Seems like a tough life but that's how seasonal work is. Restaurants, bars and clubs are crazy during summer months then they are empty for the most part or closed for the season. Many pro bartenders, waiters, waitresses would follow the sun or in some cases head to the ski resorts for employment. A big part of summer jobs were manned by HS and college students and faculty, a lot of that is gone. Construction and landscape contractors out here are just as or more guilty that the illegal help. They take advantage of the help, don't pay workers comp and don't even know what OSHA is. If one of their workers get hurt, it's off to the hospital and hush-hush that it happened at work, we pay. It can get worse, a worker that gets hurt can sue his boss, the general contractor and the home owner if not covered by workers comp, not so cheap anymore.

I live on the east end. There is no labor shortage. I own a business out here. I worked on farms, resturants and lobster boats as a teen and college kid. It is easier for a business owner to illegals. Look at the money they save. No work comp insurance, no disability insurance, no unemployment insurance , minimal gen liability insurance. That's thousands a month in their pocket. Resturants and farms ran long before Pedro and Juan showed up in the late 80s.