Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottyrich

Swap from hell!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted this in the plug swap thread but will post it here to get some feed back as well. Going to copy and paste.

Alright guys ill try to keep this short.... THIS IS THE SWAP FROM HELL!!!

first batch of plugs ruined due to a sealer problem. More like my epoxy box problem over heating and sucking the epoxy back out of the wood.... those went into the trash. Finaly got around to painting the new batch of plugs on monday airbrush/compressor problems. Had to spray can them not the end of the world but i would of rathered used my guns. So ill get to the most important part. Put first layer of epoxy on last night i usually only do 1 thicker layer of epoxy. Was haveing a problem with working time on the etex. I only mix about as much epoxy for 6 plugs never have a problem with the viscosity lowering but with these at about plug number four the epoxy was starting to get slightly thicker. (Should have stoped but didnt) finished the next two and mixed next batch of 6 was better but still same problems. Got all plugs covered and looked good. No bubbles or anything. Came back to look at them tonight and half of the plugs have some bad epoxy scaleing. Going to try to wet sand and reapply a second coat to salvage them might mix enought epoxy for 2 plugs and go from there and see how it goes. If i cant fix the problem I will have to back out.

Question for you guys is does it sound like the epoxy is bad?? Have never had a problem with working times when only doing 6 plugs.

I know what you're feeling; the only swap I tried, I learned the hard way not to use medical syringes lubricated with silicone to measure the epoxy. Good luck; I wish I could help.

Ha. Used to do swaps. Too much pressure I gave it up a bunch of years ago. Good luck.

Wow, with your talent, and you feel pressured?   Man, I've got a lot to learn!

Seems to be a problem with the resin going bad talked with another builder on here in more detail who had similar problems. Almost looks like someone took a qtip and poked the plug 20 times in the same general brush areas. Very weird because 75 percent of the plug is flawless then there is that. If it were on a darker plug you would barely notice. Damn yellow.

Seems to be a problem with the resin going bad talked with another builder on here in more detail who had similar problems. Almost looks like someone took a qtip and poked the plug 20 times in the same general brush areas. Very weird because 75 percent of the plug is flawless then there is that. If it were on a darker plug you would barely notice. Damn yellow.

your talking about epoxy pitting I belive .What type of epoxy do you use

Posted (edited)

etex. From a new bottle.

Fine glitter always solves that but it was happening to me and I bought a new batch hasn't happened.I also use flex coat not e tex.When you apply your epoxy do you stretch it out?Or do you go a little heavy....This was driving me insane once I even called the company.They gave me some good tips and it hasn't happened since.Glitter will solve this if you mix it in but I hate glitter unless it's a lot of it ,it just makes the plug look dirty.All I know for sure is I think it was the batch but I do certain things now that may prevent it.Heres a little check list of things I do that may avoid this from happening.

After mixing epoxy I pour it onto tinfoil ,this increases the pot life.I take a won ton soup lid and wrap it in a peice of tinfoil and create a small bowl.

Heat the epoxy up before mixing,this I was doing for awhile but haven't lately but was recommended by the manufacture.They actually recommended taking a torch and running it over the epoxy but I never tried that.

Don't mix with anything porus like wood ,I use extra stainless steel wire that I bend and use as my mixer.I also mix for 4 minutes then mix with brush real fast before I pour it onto tinfoil.I apply it right away now I use to wait 15 minutes and let it set up but not anymore.

All I know is the new batch both the resin and the hardner were the same color the hardner wasn't piss yellow and I've had some of my best epoxy work since.I get the 32 oz bottles so it lasts awile.Its always been a bit of a mystery to me exactly what causes it but maybe something here helps.

Edited by IslandSurf

All swaps are from hell. Haha.

Yup a little glitter will hide some misfortune done it many times. Remember though fish don't care but I am sure you want pretty for the swap.