fishweewee

Angry anglers lead to attacks, feces-smearing at Florida pier

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

So here's another perspective. 15 years ago I moved to Florida after 6 years of active duty. At that point in my life I was a mess. Injuries I'd sustained during my enlistment left me addicted to prescription pain meds, and fishing 50hrs a week was the only way I knew to keep myself distracted. I live 28 miles from Sebastian inlet, and it was/is a convenient place for me to spend my evenings. About 7 years ago social media began to make its mark at Sebastian. For 10 years our winter tarpon stayed under the radar. It wasn't unusual to go through 10-15 jigs a night just playing with these fish. Nobody ever thought about landing these fish. There was no point. Almost overnight, multitudes of wannabe rockstar anglers started dragging these fish up on the beach for hero shots. In most cases, just so they could tag their favorite manufacturer of plastic chinese plugs on instagram. 40 year old fish, dead, for 5 minutes of social media glory. Some of these guys are on this forum. Poaching and littering has always been an issue. The jetty being what it is, attracts alot people that aren't really there to fish, they're there to exploit. They respect nothing, and they don't deserve a jetty.

I have seen the same things happen... It's a shame....

I cast first and I tried to get the line when I saw boat coming.

You become a internet fisherman. :)

Just trying to help out Kil;  Whenever I can.

Edited by Lou T

The railings are covered in feces 24/7 and it's not from fishermen.The pelican and other winged rats crap all over it all day long.

I would hope that the report wasn't developed from complaints regarding bird poop.

So here's another perspective. 15 years ago I moved to Florida after 6 years of active duty. At that point in my life I was a mess. Injuries I'd sustained during my enlistment left me addicted to prescription pain meds, and fishing 50hrs a week was the only way I knew to keep myself distracted. I live 28 miles from Sebastian inlet, and it was/is a convenient place for me to spend my evenings. About 7 years ago social media began to make its mark at Sebastian. For 10 years our winter tarpon stayed under the radar. It wasn't unusual to go through 10-15 jigs a night just playing with these fish. Nobody ever thought about landing these fish. There was no point. Almost overnight, multitudes of wannabe rockstar anglers started dragging these fish up on the beach for hero shots. In most cases, just so they could tag their favorite manufacturer of plastic chinese plugs on instagram. 40 year old fish, dead, for 5 minutes of social media glory. Some of these guys are on this forum. Poaching and littering has always been an issue. The jetty being what it is, attracts alot people that aren't really there to fish, they're there to exploit. They respect nothing, and they don't deserve a jetty.

Nothing bugs me more than a fisherman that doesn't respect their surroundings. I am forever cleaning up others trash, gear and waste from piers, jetties and the beach. I also spend l lot time and effort to remove line and hooks from wildlife. Many fisherman don't understand why people think anglers are an environmental hazard. It's because some have no respect for wildlife and the environment.

I never remove a fish from the water unless I'm keeping it or am forced to. I use barbless hooks as much as possible. And I leave the area I'm fishing cleaner than when I arrived!!!

I also don't target protected or sport species often. And when I do, I keep the impact at minimal as possible.

Edited by Trainman327

I was down there and went out on Sebastian pier during the day, you couldn't pay me to risk fishing out there. 80% of the people don't seem to know what they are doing, most don't watch their back-cast, and its just and overall clusterf**k.

If you don't like it there is no way i am going down there.  Although MArtyz seems to like to go down there an not invite me. 

If you don't like it there is no way i am going down there.  Although MArtyz seems to like to go down there an not invite me. 

The pier(north side) is god awful, the jetty on the side side isn't bad.  Watched a dude walk off the jetty with a 150lb black tip over his shoulder and walk straight to the cleaning table one night.

here's 2 pics of the pier on a week day in January

16831166_10103404122163847_8840362759587

16832042_10103404122168837_5892623789241

I hope this scares every Northerner from coming to Sebastian. Was a few groups of guys who stayed a week or so early this winter on the South. All had long rods, full tactical gear, ZeeBass or VS, and ignorant attitudes. I would pass by them every day when I was setting up for shrimping in my shorts and t-shirt, and they would never acknowledge you, say or return a hello, and only communicated within their group. I didn't see them catch a thing all week and enjoyed watching every minute of it.

I hope this scares every Northerner from coming to Sebastian. Was a few groups of guys who stayed a week or so early this winter on the South. All had long rods, full tactical gear, ZeeBass or VS, and ignorant attitudes. I would pass by them every day when I was setting up for shrimping in my shorts and t-shirt, and they would never acknowledge you, say or return a hello, and only communicated within their group. I didn't see them catch a thing all week and enjoyed watching every minute of it.

kraxy Kräcker is a southern boy.   

Quote: "One Florida fishing pier is cracking down on vengeful fishermen who have gone as far as defecating on the pier’s in order to mark their space".

Now this is funny.................democrat fishermen.....for sure.

post-17931-0-00872300-1487880497.jpg

That's just crappy, lazy, hearsay reporting. I hate the phrase fake news but here you have a semblance of it. I moved down here last year, don't fish the inlet unless I've had no luck on the beach for a good long time, but when I'm there it's fine. It's snowbird season so conflicts between locals and tourists are a little more likely but images of crap smeared railings and yobos hurling lead at passing boats is stupid sensational "journalism." And you who read it here took the bait (so to speak!)

My experience of local fishing folk around here has been nothing but positive.

Enough said. Now I'm off to catch mackerel & bluesfor breakfast in my shorts & to watch the sun rise. You couldn't pay me enough to go back up north where apparently the railings are ****-free - if a little frosty...!