RobEnglish

Water tight battery connection video.

12 posts in this topic

I picked this batter and delphi connectors off Amazon to run the lights on my Hobie Pro Angler 14. This was the procedure I came up with to make the connections water tight.

I caught your video on FB, nicely done, especially since I had to buy a new battery yesterday because my positive terminal corroded and broke off after just a year. The thing that made me mad about it was that I made a harness very similar to how you show so that I would not have to constantly mess with the terminals and weaken them. I did not however coat the terminal connection so the ability to corrode was definitely likely.

I assume you are using hot glue? My only concern with hot glue is cracking due to temperature changes? I was thinking dielectric grease or silicone. Any opinion on that?

Good video, Thanks!

Yea, Just hot glue. I figured it was be the easiest to maintain if need. The Remo battery seemed to be the same thing under the caps. We'll see how it holds up threw the season. 

Hey Rob, would it be of any value to solder the spades to the terminals as well the steps you've shown ... my thinking is that it'll make the connections doubly secure as well as reducing the chances of corrosion build up between spades and terminals ... or would it be a needless waste of time? Thx

I was trying to but the solder didn't want to stick to the spades for some reason. I also didn't want to over heat them to much and damage the battery if that's possible. 

yea battery terminals are a pain to solder...

you can try scratching the surface with some sand paper to see if it'll stick.

but those spade connectors are plenty strong...

love the hot glue + heat shrink idea!

Managed to get the solder to stick by heating up the terminals (and roughening them up) a little and sliding the spades on pretty quickly, then more solder ... seems to have worked ... then smothered with hot glue. The theory is that this will prevent/****** corrosion because salty air can't get in, electrical connection should be stronger and more efficient due to the solder and the structural connection stronger. Thanks Rob!

post-46454-0-08422900-1488906978.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

uuummm .... ******** = r e t a r d

(there must be some really strange chaps living in the Tavern !)

Edited by Africaster

Managed to get the solder to stick by heating up the terminals (and roughening them up) a little and sliding the spades on pretty quickly, then more solder ... seems to have worked ... then smothered with hot glue. The theory is that this will prevent/****** corrosion because salty air can't get in, electrical connection should be stronger and more efficient due to the solder and the structural connection stronger. Thanks Rob!

attachicon.gifbattery connection.JPG

I'm sure anything to help keep the water off will be a good thing. I need to just get my lights installed now. 

I am guessing when you charge the battery you don't need to access the battery terminals?  I normally attach my alligator clips there.

I am guessing when you charge the battery you don't need to access the battery terminals?  I normally attach my alligator clips there.

Yip, I have the 'matching opposite' as one of the output connectors on my battery charger ... they're 12v trailer connections at any auto-type retailer for $3, I've even seen them at Homies and Wallys.