Scummer

Line Roller Bushing Slammer III

10 posts in this topic

Hi Tony,

Haven't received my slammer III yet (hopefully next week because fishing is heating up), but wondering if the line roller bearing out of the clash 6000 will fit the slammer III?

Can't find any dims on it and no word back from Penn Parts.

Not quite sold yet on a bushing assembly for this important part of the reel?

Thanks in advance

curious why you are looking to replace the bushing already...  i have a III and have no current plans to replace the bushing.

I think the bushing will be fine, it will just take a little extra maintence to ensure that the bushing stays clean so it will continue to spin freely.

Scummer,

The Clash bearing will not fit the Slammer III 6500, I will get you measurements of the bushing if you want to seek out an aftermarket bearing.

tony

Bummer! was hoping for the easy swap  :) Got the reel last week and disassembled to get the specs, but I'm all for the definitive answer from Penn.

Thanks Tony! Appreciate it

curious why you are looking to replace the bushing already...  i have a III and have no current plans to replace the bushing.

I've had one major failure of a line roller bearing from not paying attention to it and swore I would never go down that road again. Been a well maintained part of the reel ever since. Personal preference is a bearing in that location. To me, a bearing is less likely to seize up when maintained as opposed to a bushing. I like metal over plastic especially at such an important junction.

Got the reel last week and it looks and feels great! Took line like a champ. Don't mind the additional weight either. My clash put just over 300 fish on the beach last year and if this one is anything like it, I know I'll be very happy! Waiting on our 14' seas to come down this week and then I'll get it wet.

Thanks again Tony

My SSV4500's line roller has been making grinding noise even after disassembled/lubed/oiled.. roller spins only when there is tension on the line... just a pain as it really increases wear on the braid.... Just got the SLAIII and saw Alan H's mention of the line roller for the slammer iii and was suggesting bearing replacement. Hopefully I wont go with the SSV route (no grinding noise) with the SLAIII...

A little late, but from Mr. Alan Hawk's site:

The line roller continues to be a challenge to Penn for some reason, and in the Slammer it suffers the same rubbing issues I demonstrated in the Clash. They put a bushing in the line roller instead of a bearing, and while in principle this can work and it does in other reels, in the Slammer I got mixed results at best; they work when clean and new, then they would only spin under heavy line pressure. Unless you will thoroughly clean the roller and keep it lubed, I recommend upgrading the bushing to a ball bearing. The bushing is an interesting choice in a reel that costs up to $350 . . .

BY

8 month of striped bass fishing the past two years with (2) 4500's and a 5500 and zero problems. I do take go care of my reels and but glad the have the bearing as I did see stickiness in one of my (4) 4000's Clash reels. 

Little late but ..,

I also am looking for a bearing (s) to replace the bushings on my line roller. I was told a company called Boca bearing has great ceramic bearings to replace the bushings. I'm not sure though if you can find the part # through application or break out the calipers and do some measuring. Have you had any luck finding the bearing?

Thx

The bushing on the greenie Penns worked flawlessly. With heavy service over decades I don’t remember replacing one. They are retired now but less problems then the new Penns.