Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Spin 'n Glows for Fluke

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Fin-Strike pink has been good in RI all year.

I modify the rig a little and use 20 lb. berkley "vanish" to re-rig my stuff. Try glo-green beads and a glo blade if you can find them and use a 3 to 6 oz, "small hook" pearl white leadheaded bucktail with a second 4/0 "stinger" hook, instead of a sinker...also if you can find them, as they are rare. Squid and mummies and your all set.

Rhodester

Brian:

I'll endorse Rhodesters color choice as pink spin 'n glows work well as do white ones. But my favorite is the fluorescent green. The color of choice can vary from day to day so try two rods and rotate the colors until you see that one is not producing.

I will use the spins alone or with a skirt. Also, you MUST place a bead between the spin and the hook or skirt or it will not turn freely. The spin must rest against the bead. I use red beads almost all the time.

A rig I had good luck with last year in the presence of sand eels was a frozen sand eel on a 3-4 oz single hook hopkins and a baited single hook tied 6 to 18 inches above on a three-way swivel. Use a 2-3 foot leader on the high hook with the spin n glow. Vary height of the high hook and the length of the leader depending on the speed of the drift. Try a long leader tied high on a slow drift and a short leader tied low on a fast drift.

Mike Y

I usually start with a pink & if it does not produce I'll swich to bright green. So far this year the pink has been hot in Raritan Bay & Sandy Hook area.

Good Luck

Since I tie my own for commercial purposes, I can tell you that the most popular color is white. Followed right behind by yellow chartreuse, and then florecent green. My favorite is the white.

A good article on fluke from the surf can be found in the New Jersey Boating and Fishing magazine. Just came out today. It is free. Most of the shops in the fling area have the magazine.

Eric "Big Swed"

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Linesider (edited 08-01-2000).]

2 other hot colors have been squid skirts by a south african company called Williamson Lures that make a "live glow" clear color that glows bluish like stren line, and a firetiger color 55M...They are hard to find but really paid off for me this year.

Rhodester