NausetDog

Key West Fly Fishing from Shore

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, abaus3 said:

Stripsettter, please post up what find out when you are there! I am heading to Key West the beginning of May

Unfortunately I got skunked except for a couple needlefish, small snappers. Saw a few bones but that’s it. Hit a few recommended DIY spots as well as a half day with a flats guide....pretty strong east winds for the time I was there and weedy as well. Wouldn’t stop me from doing a keys trip again. Great time besides getting skunked. 

I’m glad I stumbled upon this thread. I’m headed to Islamorada with my wife mid(ish) April.  Planning on doing half a day with a guide but also intend on wading some flats on my own.  I’ll also have a car while I’m down there and we plan on exploring the other keys. 

Does anyone know if you can carry a fly rod (in a tube) on a plane?  My wife hates checking luggage, which means I’ll be using a carry on. My 4 piece in the tube won’t fit in my carry on and I’m scared the TSA won’t let me take it on the plane. 

Back when I was going down to the keys often (15yrs ago) I avoided all of the baggage headaches by sending down most of my gear UPS to whatever lodge I was staying at. In the box I would also include packaging tape so at the end of the trip I would just pack it back up and stop by UPS on way to airport. I did this a number of times and it always worked out well.

9 hours ago, BromBones said:

Does anyone know if you can carry a fly rod (in a tube) on a plane?  My wife hates checking luggage, which means I’ll be using a carry on. My 4 piece in the tube won’t fit in my carry on and I’m scared the TSA won’t let me take it on the plane

I travel several times a year with a 4-pc spey rod in a 42" tube that I always carry on. Out of a couple dozen flights I have only had one occasion where they made me check it as baggage, and that was at the baggage counter, not at the gate. I was checking another bag and the agent saw the rod case and told me I needed to check it. I have a feeling that if I had taken it to the gate the agents would have let me carry it on.

1 hour ago, smath said:

I travel several times a year with a 4-pc spey rod in a 42" tube that I always carry on. Out of a couple dozen flights I have only had one occasion where they made me check it as baggage, and that was at the baggage counter, not at the gate. I was checking another bag and the agent saw the rod case and told me I needed to check it. I have a feeling that if I had taken it to the gate the agents would have let me carry it on.

Thanks for the feedback.  I’m gonna carry it on.  Sounds like it won’t be a problem. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a safe passage travel rod case under 36 " is plenty of clearance for every overhead compartment on many air flights . Hold 4 - 6

4 piece fly rods ( no tube )  2 3 piece spin rods 4 fly reels 2 spin reels  plenty of room for 100 flies & lures  just put them in a see thru case or zip bag for inspection  & extra fly line , buff , gloves , buff packed fluoro leaders . It's considered a carry on so i take a backpack with all my medicine , personal items , shirts , shorts , foot wear . I'm set to fly & fish  . If you need more clothing check a bag . Doing this over 15 years  not one problem .    

Edited by Hook I