NausetDog

Key West Fly Fishing from Shore

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

In Key West for a few days with my wife. No time for a charter or guide. Can anyone suggest some general shore areas to throw some flies while on the shoreline at first light tomorrow?

Hey Mark,

Been a few years since I've been down that way.... But me and my Dad use to hit a spot right off of Rt. 1 just outside Key West. If you head out of Key West it will be up on your Left hand side of the road... You should look for a small knee high stone wall that is approximately 100 feet long (maybe longer). There will bee a pull off right in front of it. We use to fish there and had shots at Tarpon, Bones, Snook and Cuda there... I wish I had a better idea on exact location but that stone wall is what you need to look for. We also Fished the Naval Air Base area off of Boca Chica Rd. Hope this helps a little.

Tight Lines, Tom

I would definitely check out Mallory square @1st light..it has never let me down especially @night I usually go after midnight.. you can see them rolling and feeding under the lights poon and snook

Mark you are not allowed to come home to all the snow that slammed the NE to plow out your driveway until you file a fish report. You will just have to stay in Florida. :)

Thanks for the info guys.

LOL Dick. Finally got out for a few hours this AM. Caught my first Barracuda on the fly. Small one but still a first. Caught 3 or 4 more small Jacks before the park ranger told me Ii couldn't fish where I was and politely shoo'd me over to a desolate stretch of water devoid of all but huge schools of Needle Fish. Never got to a spot I wanted to try, just not enough time.

Found a great fly shop The Angling Company and chatted with the owner Nathaniel. When he heard where I was from he told his Permit and Tarpon flies were from a guy from Winthrop....our own Dave Skok.

We're leaving tomorrow although I told Kim I may not be coming with her. This freakin place is a Fly Fishing Paradise. I already spoke to the guide I'm booking for next trip to come down and jump some Tarpon!

Sounds good! I'll be staying on Big Pine at the end of March for 4 days with nothing really to do, but walk around and fish. I was excited to see this thread pop up and curious for any more specifics. I'll have access to a kayak too, so would love to hear any experiences from that angle as well!

If you don't mind walking a bit, check out Boot Key. Had good luck on the east and west end. Mixed bag and didn't see any bones, but I am sure they are there at some point. Good luck, we all expect a report!

Realize this is an old thread but bumping it up. Heading to Key West mid March with the wife and looking to do some fly casting from shore and probably get a guide for a half day. I’ve done some bonefishing in Bahamas and Turks solo and with guides so likely will get a guide in KW too.  I will have a car so I can drive reasonable distances. Looking for any advice anyone could offer. I’ve heard Bahia Honda has some good flats. Anyone have any suggestions for flats near key west? Thanks !

Stripsetter, my mom lived in the Keys for a long time so I had a lot of fun down there with a flyrod.  Most of my fishing was around the Summerland / Cudjoe Key area (mile marker 23 or so), and not so much down at Key West.  But, you have a car so I will let you know where I had easy access and good catches.  Here is my list starting at the farthest distance from KW and working my way closer to KW. 

Little Duck Key : about 40 miles from Key West, and just on the west side of the seven mile bridge.  There is a parking lot there, and great flats on the ocean side.  Lots of bonefish, cuda, jacks, and occassional shots at permit.  March kicks off tarpon season, so you may be able to get an opportunity to cast at them as well.  

Bahia Honda: (mile marker 35) this is a really nice park, but it does not open until 8 or 9 am and there is a fee to enter.  There are a lot of spots to fish on the ocean side. Once in the park you can drive along the beach and try different spots.  There is a nice flat with a deep channel adjacent on the eastern side of the park.  Tarpon spot, along with jacks and cuda.  This is a great place to bring the wife and let her relax on the beach while you fish. 

Big Pine Key: (mile marker 33) Coupon Bight is the place here.  Turn off of Hwy 1 at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge / Long Beach Drive (last turn on the BPK before you cross the bridge on the east side of the key heading towards Marathon and Key Largo.  Drive back on this road until it stops, and you have a lot of flats here.  You can find bones, cuda, and jacks.  Google Coupon Bight and you will find some good information.

Big Torch Key: drive out on Middle Torch Key and keep going until you get to the last turn that is possible on Big Torch Key.  Park here, and there are flats out just beyond the mangroves.  Mostly cudas and sharks here, but they are fun and take a fly.

Summerland Key: Niles Drive on the Gulf side.  Drive to the end and you will find flats here.  Lots of stuff will take a fly here.  Jose Wejebe lived on this road, and I would see him from time-to-time at his place.  My mom knew him enough that they would greet each other when they ran into each other, but I never met him. 

Cudjoe Key: Pirates Road on the ocean side.  Parking right at the end of the road.  Cudas here, but we have seen bones.  Somewhat softer sand, so you have to be a bit wary of where you step.  

These were my main haunts.  A seven weight is usually fine here, although I always had an eight weight as my main rod.  You definitely need wading boots, and while I was always in sneakers and shorts, I would recommend pants as well.  There are places where sea anemones or something similar are all over, and they will cause you to itch like crazy if you have one brush against your leg.  

Have fun. 

Appreciate the advice all. Thanks!

I will probably do a guided trip one day and spend another driving around hitting some spots solo or with my wife.  Luckily she likes tropical vacations which usually means good fishing and I bring my fly rod everywhere. We will probably rent some kayaks too which could expand fishing possibilities. Any suggestions on favorite flies for the Keys?  I have an assortment of bonefish flies I’ve used in Bahamas and Turks, some tarpon flies and tons of decievers and small bait fish flies.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Check this old article out,  Its an attachment and a pdf file and it might have some good information. Sorry first page is upside down but click on it and reader has a view menu on top left where you can rotate or a computer jock can chime in on how to permanently rotate and save image

keys0001.pdf

Edited by flyrad10
rotate first page of attachment

On 1/30/2019 at 5:39 AM, Stripsettter said:

Appreciate the advice all. Thanks!

I will probably do a guided trip one day and spend another driving around hitting some spots solo or with my wife.  Luckily she likes tropical vacations which usually means good fishing and I bring my fly rod everywhere. We will probably rent some kayaks too which could expand fishing possibilities. Any suggestions on favorite flies for the Keys?  I have an assortment of bonefish flies I’ve used in Bahamas and Turks, some tarpon flies and tons of decievers and small bait fish flies.

Stripsettter, please post up what find out when you are there! I am heading to Key West the beginning of May

On 2/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, abaus3 said:

Stripsettter, please post up what find out when you are there! I am heading to Key West the beginning of May

abaus3,

I'm headed down in middle of May, have a guide booked for one day but DIY the rest of the time, I would appreciate some up to the minute intel when you get back!  In the meantime I can send you some stuff I've compiled over the last couple of months...