Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyMike79

Conventional v. Spinning

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Conventional:

pros: further casts, no windknots, more power, more line on a lighter reel, tend to have a better drag.

cons: pain with a stiff in yer face wind (backlashes, reduced distance) also, harder with lighter plugs.

Spinning

Pros: casting into wind, lighter plugs on a heavier rod, take water and sand much better.

cons: bails closing, wind knots, not as much power.

thats from my experience. For the most part if im gonna be casting over 1 ounce, i prefer conventional, under 1 ounce i go with a spinner.

My two cents... It comes down to back lash. The spinning reels are more reliable and easy to change spools. I love my conventional ( Calcutta 250/400)reels, but I always carry a back up spinning combo when I use them. Sometimes I don't need the back up for a dozen trips, then it happens. Out comes the spinning gear and I'm back fishing in minutes.

------------------

LIFE IS GOOD

CONVENTIONAL: More distance as said before, more power when pulling in fish, and IMO less line twists.

However, lighter plugs are sometimes a chore, but it can be done.

Spinning: Easier, easy to take care of. castability in the wind.

Line twist, weaker drag

Luis T

Yes you can cast farther with conventional, but here in Jersey that's somewhat overrated, the fish are usually right by your feet.

What hooked me on conventional is the "connection" you have with your plug or bait. Using braid I can feel every wiggle of a bomber or the lightest tap tap of a crab stealing my bait. I don't have this to the same degree with spinning.

------------------

"If fish were caught every time out, fishing would lose some of it's mystery. It's that mystery that appeals to the surf-fishing fanatic. The unpredictable nature of surf fishing creates a challenge, and for many the challenge has become an addiction." - Robert Post

[This message has been edited by Sudsy (edited 10-31-2002).]

Interesting...

As far as casting distance, the ROD seems to make more difference than the reel, in my experience. And you never have to "tune" a spinning reel.

When "longlining" the way I hold a spinning rod is much more sensitive to light bites than any hold I have tried with a conventional.

I use my conventional rods when vertical jigging from a boat, when using bait (rare) and sometimes when using heavy surface lures.

For finesse jigging, custom spinning tackle rules.

I'll match a Penn Z or a VS for power any day against any conventional.

The two largest stripers ever caught from shore were caught on spinning reels (a Penn 710 and a Penn 650SS).

Most of the surf commercials up at the Cape use spinning to throw their snakes. When you're picking out a backlash, you're not putting fish in the box.

I like conventionals for certain situations, just like I use certain tools for the jobs they're designed for. But I don't buy the "conventional is stronger and more powerful" thinking. You can cup a spinning spool to add pressure when you're trying to "horse" a fish as easily and effectively as you can add thumb pressure to a conventional's spool. Many people fish conventional solely for the "snob appeal", ie, "it's the tackle the pros use ergo I must be a pro to the people watching". If you're fishing it badly, trust me, you're not wink.gif

Drag? What reel has a better drag right out of the box--a Penn 706Z or an Abu 7000?

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 10-31-2002).]

I usually use a conventional when I know that the reel won't get dunked, which is never when your up front standing in the surf. However, when fishing night or day in an inlet, canal or jetty, it's my go to setup. You can't beat using a convential when conditions dictate 3+ oz jigs/plugs.

On a spinning reel, when you retrieve line, it takes a 90 degree bend at the bail. THAT is why conventional is "more powerful".

You can use a spinning rod to throw conventional. (but not vice-versa). Spinning has almost no resistance when casting, just the friction of the line passing over the lip on the spool. Conventional has NEGATIVE resistance, it "pushes" the line up through the guides. A "backlash" is what happens when it pushes too hard! Conventionals CERTAINLY cast further.

Picking out a backlash isn't too bad in the daytime, but it's next to impossible at night. I use conventional for baitfishing during the day. Spinning at night, or when tossing light lures. Baitcaster for bucktailing. Works for me.

Flounder

Must be winter as this comes up again... smile.gif

I think the pro and con arguments are almost endless, with some valid points on both sides...

However, I simply enjoy throwing conventional more than spinning...I have more fun that way as long as conditions permit....the act of conventional casting itself is, to me, enjoyable...and thereby, for me, makes fishing more fun overall.... smile.gif

--OJ

I use convential for heavy stuff- 3oz or more-spinning for light work- You guys semm to be missing one point though- fishing is a sport done for pleasure- if you enjoy casting 7/8 oz Bombers with a Penn Squider or throwing 6oz jigs with spinning reels -go for it.

Conventional...the zen of fishing. I like to be odd and not everyone uses conventional. I feel much more connected to the lure and ultimately the fish when hooked. Middle of the night, thowing plugs...I'd go spinning, light weight, spinning. From the yak, through bait or lead, definitely conventional. My 2 cents

Before braid conventionals had more of a place in surf fishing than they do today, I can see them for big plugs or bait , but they dont like to get wet, so plugging aint so good and now with braid and fishing 50# test with something like a VS, Nautil or Penn Z, it doesnt make alot of sense to go conventional for plugging. Now if you wnat to jig a canal or somethun that might be different , id go conventional there!!

------------------

Keep using my name in vain, I'll make rush hour longer!! - God