Aquacide

stock market - i'm not feeling it.

Rate this topic

10,166 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of I bonds? Can only buy $10k worth a year. It’s currently paying over 9% until the next change In November. Though of buying a few of those over the next few years. Have 30 years until retirement really. Have 401k and Roth Ira too that max out every year.

8 mins ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

What do you guys think of I bonds? Can only buy $10k worth a year. It’s currently paying over 9% until the next change In November. Though of buying a few of those over the next few years. Have 30 years until retirement really. Have 401k and Roth Ira too that max out every year.

Isnt it one per person per household.  

On 9/28/2022 at 11:17 AM, ChumSlickJon said:

You realize that the people who support this party are against everything we've built, right?  They are doing what they ran on and doing what they were put into power for.  You can thank every individual who voted for them.  The anti capitalists who sit in starbucks sipping their $10 latte's staring at Facebook on their $3000 macbooks.  :dismay:  

EXACTLY, they will probably be the first in line to complain when they realize what has happened (not will happen, as it's already started) and will whine "poor me, what about me, why is this happening to ME" when the sh*t hitting the fan lands on their face.

Posted (edited)

The actual economy is broader than, and also (at times) separate and distinct from, the stock market.  Not that there is no link between the two.  There is a link, particularly at the top end of the socio-economic spectrum.  The majority of stocks are owned by the wealthy.  Piddlers and pikers like most of us who think they can make small bets, time the market perfectly, make an overnight windfall on a meme stock etc...typically get burned.  Not all, but most.

Further evidence that the two (market, economy) are not the same is that the market tends to go up when unemployment is high, and down when unemployment is low.  That should tell you something...  Once again, the market is not your particular friend.  It doesn't care about you one iota, particularly if you are among those who actually have to work to make ends meet.  The market is ambivalent to your suffering.

Now, the political aspect of this is that, sure, one administration can make bad moves, but if looked at historically, both parties can f---k up and have.  Here's the primary way that both parties have messed up:  utter lack of government control over monopolistic and price control practices by U.S. corporations.  You will see later on that a post-mortem of the coming recession will show that a large factor in current high prices was, in fact, blatant profiteering by companies that have no incentive to lower the cost of their products to help the average family get by.  NO, instead, (there is one big similarity) like the stock market, they don't care about you.  They care about making money now to placate their biggest stockholders, board of directors, and insiders. 

Edited by Killiefish

Consider this:  If you are wealthy most of your money is invested but you don't need most of it to live.  You can sell bits and bobs only when the market is high, or hold on, wait for the payout, maybe leave your entire stock portfolio to the spouse and grandkids.  If you are a working person and have been investing money that you and your family may need to live on now or may need to use in the next 10 years, you are basically screwed.  That's not a politician talking to you.  No politician wants to admit to that level of inequality and relative pain that is baked into the current system.  If they did, they'd have to do something about it.

My contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could most aptly be characterized as agrarian, pre-capitalist

17 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Back in May I bought 10k for me and 10k for my wife, so far so good. If you think inflation is going to disappear after 40 years of being non existent, well I think not. Should be interesting what they get priced at in November.

17 hours ago, Goldy said:

Isnt it one per person per household.  

Wrong agam.

Friendly PSA for you guys.  

I've been dealing with Crucial (Micron) for decades.  Always been good.  

I've been having trouble lately and can say they've lost a customer.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  

If you invest in Micron, sell and run away.  

8 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Friendly PSA for you guys.  

I've been dealing with Crucial (Micron) for decades.  Always been good.  

I've been having trouble lately and can say they've lost a customer.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  

If you invest in Micron, sell and run away.  

Inside information, you’ll look good in stripes. :laugh:

Just an unhappy customer.  Glad I don't work for them, they're pulling some shady ****.  

Basically took money for an order which never shipped.  I keep getting delayed order notifications.  

So I called to cancel.  Got some run around.  I don't think I'm gonna see my money, companies going under usually pull this ****.  

Just now, ChumSlickJon said:

Just an unhappy customer.  Glad I don't work for them, they're pulling some shady ****.  

Basically took money for an order which never shipped.  I keep getting delayed order notifications.  

So I called to cancel.  Got some run around.  I don't think I'm gonna see my money, companies going under usually pull this ****.  

There was a stock years ago called Lucent Technologies, it was a cornerstone stock for many portfolios. Was playing golf with a friend bil back then who worked for them, said there was some shady stuff going on at the time. Took a few years but the stock disappeared.