Aquacide

stock market - i'm not feeling it.

Rate this topic

10,166 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Killiefish said:

The rest of us who are older are playing with fire if we have not been doing the above all along, or else have tons of cash sitting on the sidelines, waiting to re-invest after everyone else gives up.

That's me, tons of cash from my residential rental business that's been waiting out the ridiculously high property market in a money market paying zilch.  Seriously considering dumping it in an S&P fund. I was figuring it's 3 years at least before property bargains come around because that moves glacially, and that the equities market tends to not drop much more than it has. Until it does. Dunno what to do. Maybe put like 1/10 of it in every month for the next 10?

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

Endless supply of vacation time.

But every contract negotiation time they whine that it's not really all that time off. Around here the avg teacher makes about $95k, and they control the school board. The schools cost $32k per student!

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

That's me, tons of cash from my residential rental business that's been waiting out the ridiculously high property market in a money market paying zilch.  Seriously considering dumping it in an S&P fund. I was figuring it's 3 years at least before property bargains come around because that moves glacially, and that the equities market tends to not drop much more than it has. Until it does. Dunno what to do. Maybe put like 1/10 of it in every month for the next 10?

But every contract negotiation time they whine that it's not really all that time off. Around here the avg teacher makes about $95k, and they control the school board. The schools cost $32k per student!

2 year treasuries were paying 4% yesterday.  That's gotta beat any money market.  2 year CDs are paying 3%.

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

2 year treasuries were paying 4% yesterday.  That's gotta beat any money market.  2 year CDs are paying 3%.

You're right, but I'm jaded by RE.  Any decent rental property investment can do >10%, and usually much better. But I may never see again the deals I've done in the past, so much has changed.

27 mins ago, gellfex said:

When the S&P is dropping faster than your money depreciation. Cash is still king.  We were at 415 about 2 weeks ago.  It was at 361 earlier today. 

3 hours ago, makomakoman said:

Bitcoin

Some say that bitcoin is the new gold. While Kiyosaki is a self-proclaimed gold bug, he also likes the world’s largest cryptocurrency.

Nope,

I am not investing in something that does not really exist.

You are better off purchasing a chainsaw.

3 hours ago, woowoo2 said:

Nope,

I am not investing in something that does not really exist.

You are better off purchasing a chainsaw.

The greenback doesn't exist either really, but it's backed by the US Fed, which is why everyone in the world wants it.

I've been reading about gold bugs for decades, perhaps they're the clock that's right every couple of decades and it's coming up, but I can't live that way. I'll stick with property, people have to live somewhere, and I live in one of my properties. Short of TEOTWAWKI, I'll be ok. And if that happens, I'll probably be dead anyway.

401k has dropped by 20% 

Thank you Mr. president and the rest of the party responsible for turning the country around 180 degrees from success!

Notice you see and hear nothing from the "outspoken" leaders during this fiasco?

(Probably making sure all their money is safe)

11 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

401k has dropped by 20% 

Thank you Mr. president and the rest of the party responsible for turning the country around 180 degrees from success!

Notice you see and hear nothing from the "outspoken" leaders during this fiasco?

He they are focused

On changing the name of the Atlanta Braves... they have priorities in order

23 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

401k has dropped by 20% 

You realize that the people who support this party are against everything we've built, right?  They are doing what they ran on and doing what they were put into power for.  You can thank every individual who voted for them.  The anti capitalists who sit in starbucks sipping their $10 latte's staring at Facebook on their $3000 macbooks.  :dismay:  

18 hours ago, hobobob said:

When the S&P is dropping faster than your money depreciation. Cash is still king.  We were at 415 about 2 weeks ago.  It was at 361 earlier today. 

RIP

thanks Joseph

Posted (edited)

Timing re-entry into the market is very tricky.  Best idea was to continue DCA'ing all along.  Or, if one has built cash, or stopped DCA'ing out of fear, it could work to your advantage to select a target value at which point you would once again start dollar cost averaging, and stick to the plan.  For me the target value for re-entry is somewhere between 3400 and 2800 S&P, but I am re-thinking that, based on my sense that people are still buying the dip and we are getting very close to that first level.  When investors stop buying the dips, and then things tank another 10-15%, IMO is when you want to start putting some cash to work again, that is, if you stopped DCA'ing which you should not have if you had a good plan to begin with. In other words there's a chance that the time to start DCA'ing is already here...or (again) was there all along.

I also don't think current market woes are due to any particular political party.  The market has been overvalued for quite some time.  It was becoming overvalued prior to this admin.  In fact, it became fairly valued (based on historic PE ratios) only once Covid started and the uptrend since then was clearly unsustainable.  The rebound after March 2020 was due to correct eventually anyway, regardiess of political party.   Any suggestion that this is politically based needs to be supported with some facts.  The facts aren't really there.

Edited by Killiefish

3 hours ago, Killiefish said:

The facts aren't really there.

The fact remains that nothing is being done other than those buffoons prancing around with their politic speak, claiming everything is ok.  The cost of living has risen at a ridiculous rate.  Inflation is at 40 year highs.  

Yet we are fed with BS that inflation is up barely an inch.  I never heard of inflation being measured in inches but the leader of the free world says it.  Then he mentioned war with China.  These people care about 1 thing, appeasing the vocal minority and bashing the opposition into oblivion.  Other than that, everything is business as usual.  C'mon man, we got important issues to handle.... like Elton John getting a medal.  Wait until student loan forgiveness hit's the markets.  Oof that's gonna hurt.

These people = both political parties.  There's not that much difference in how the stock market performs under Repubs vs. Dems.  Neither party has much if any real time control over corporations, or over Wall Street.  There have been several recent articles and analyses that show that the best (albeit probably not statistically) stock market performance occurs when there is mixed control of government.  There's a slight increase in market performance with a Democrat in the White House and a Republican controlled Congress, versus the opposite pattern.  That analysis which goes back 90 years or so can be found on just about all financial websites.  The reality is also that economic downturns have a lag time between when the bad decisions are made, and the real time shite hits the fan.  I come back to my basic statement that (unfortunately) "these people" = both political parties.  Not that big a difference, if any, to be found in the numbers.  This thread is about the stock market and whether we are feeling good about it.  I don't feel good about it or bad about it, but I certainly don't blame one or the other political party for the full series of events and perturbations that actually do influence markets.

So in your honest opinion there is no correlation between the economic conditions in this country and the stock market?  

On 12/26/2018 at 9:00 AM, snag777 said:

if money manager has your 401 K you have no control over him and your 401K.

if that was my position,i call money manager and tell him close all my position and send me check for my 401 K,you have 30 or 90 days to put the money in your 401 K acount.

even if i did not know how to invest i let the money lay there,they are now yours nobody can take them from you with out your permit.

open acount and start using simulator for trading,and learn in QQQ trading option and trading futures sp 500 mini=ESH19 and NQ mini=NQH19,if it take you 1 month or 2 years to learn ,you are ahead of 90% people who has 401 K.

go on you tube and watch how people trade,trade same way in simulator and when you come positive every month start trading your 401 K.

there is thousend presentations there whoo like to sell you there magic system,do not pay anybody,you can do that for free.

Don't feel bad snag 777 the market took me for 13K in two weeks and I watched a 1000 point spread in an hour and a half . That is why they call them brokers! I am going to learn the market and control my investments myself. I can tell when I been ripped off and sticky fingers inside traders are at work! God bless Capitalism :)