JoeyDaGreat

1 Bass Every Month

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

January,February and now March can be crossed off the list for my catch a striped bass In Massachusetts for 12 straight months :-) should be smooth sailing the rest of the year.

post-28082-0-49495700-1488468614.jpg

I tried three times last month but not even a single bite. Could you please share some of these spots with us or just shoot me a private message?

February is the toughest month so the fact you caught nothing on 3 trips is par for the course.

Fwiw.. it took me *dozens of trips* over several winters, driving a s-ton of miles all over SNE, to get a handle on holdover fishing.

You should be fishing at night if you're not.

Edit: For perspective- I've been fishing many winters. Last month I skunked 7 straight trips before I got into fish. And I'm not talking about shooting down to the local marsh and firing off 6 casts then calling it a night. Each trip was many hours of casting.. moving between multiple locations each trip. Those 7 trips put well over 1200 miles on the car. If you think you're going to get into easy striped bass in deep winter you're mistaken.

Edited by rst3

January,February and now March can be crossed off the list for my catch a striped bass In Massachusetts for 12 straight months :-) should be smooth sailing the rest of the year.

Great job bud........I'm cheering u on from the wood stove!....:)

Good stuff checking off those 1st tough 3. - esp sticking with MA spots only. Had a feeling you'd be out and onto fish the last night or 2.. taking advantage of the super warm overnights early in the month

February is the toughest month so the fact you caught nothing on 3 trips is par for the course.

Fwiw.. it took me *dozens of trips* over several winters, driving a s-ton of miles all over SNE, to get a handle on holdover fishing.

You should be fishing at night if you're not.

Edit: For perspective- I've been fishing many winters. Last month I skunked 7 straight trips before I got into fish. And I'm not talking about shooting down to the local marsh and firing off 6 casts then calling it a night. Each trip was many hours of casting.. moving between multiple locations each trip. Those 7 trips put well over 1200 miles on the car. If you think you're going to get into easy striped bass in deep winter you're mistaken.

You're right, three trips is not enough.

I usually fish at night in Boston harbor and Mystic river at winter and early spring. I caught my first fish early march last year (5 schoolies, 1 keeper in march). It seems that using sea worms is the key, It seems that I should wait a bit more as bait shops don't have seaworms in stock yet.

Good job buddy! It seems that you should go for 10 for each month in average.

You're right, three trips is not enough.

I usually fish at night in Boston harbor and Mystic river at winter and early spring. I caught my first fish early march last year (5 schoolies, 1 keeper in march). It seems that using sea worms is the key, It seems that I should wait a bit more as bait shops don't have seaworms in stock yet.

If you're onto spots that give up fish in early March, good chance those same areas have fish in Jan/Feb. Sometimes the bite is very slow those months and you can be running jigs or bait right by fish that have lockjaw so you'd never know they were even there.

Also, the number of fish that hold over in an area often changes yr to yr. Extreme example of this is the Thames in CT. Going back just 5-7 years that river had so many fish in winter snagging was a huge problem. Not my thing to snag 20 schoolies and hook 50 more.. but to each their own. Anyway, last cpl years in the Thames? Largely barren.

Though seaworms are an excellent early season choice, you don't necessarily have to wait til shops have them in to catch. 1/4-3/8-1/2oz jigs adorned with various soft plastics do take many fish in winter. Small Shimano x-raps or similar can work well too if the fish are up grubbing for mummichugs in shallower areas at night (but not if the bass on the bottom holding below the saltline).

Edited by rst3

If you're onto spots that give up fish in early March, good chance those same areas have fish in Jan/Feb. Sometimes the bite is very slow those months and you can be running jigs or bait right by fish that have lockjaw so you'd never know they were even there.

Also, the number of fish that hold over in an area often changes yr to yr. Extreme example of this is the Thames in CT. Going back just 5-7 years that river had so many fish in winter snagging was a huge problem. Not my thing to snag 20 schoolies and hook 50 more.. but to each their own. Anyway, last cpl years in the Thames? Largely barren.

Though seaworms are an excellent early season choice, you don't necessarily have to wait til shops have them in to catch. 1/4-3/8-1/2oz jigs adorned with various soft plastics do take many fish in winter. Small Shimano x-raps or similar can work well too if the fish are up grubbing for mummichugs in shallower areas at night (but not if the bass on the bottom holding below the saltline).

Wonderful tips. I appreciate it.

Well I have not been out for striped bass as much as I would like to because I have been enjoying the largemouth jerkbait bite but tonight I was able to make it out to a new MA spot and it paid off. I can cross Jan,Feb,Mar, & now Apr off my list and should be smooth sailing until Dec for my catch a striped bass every month in 2017 challenge:-)

post-28082-0-18471800-1491794907.jpg