Running Ape

Best casting stickbait/swimming plug?

35 posts in this topic

I mentioned the LC wander.  Nothing can out cast it.

It has a side to side action..but a little different than a lipped bait.

Scooby, I saw your other post where u suggested these. I was looking at them on their site, the size 80/95. Do you use either of these sizes?

Heres a vid i found of the action. That wobble on the pause while its dropping looks deadly..

I have searched for the ds minnow, seems to have been discontinued.

I'm not sure if they are, but i own a few of the DS Minnows by Daiwa and they are lethal baits man. But if you still can't find them, Lucky Craft & Strike King both make some good ones give those a look. 

The Daiwa DB minnow was one of the first of these new age Japanese minnows that worked great, had a small dedicated following, but was discontinued, came back, and may have been discontinued again.

The problem is that the largemouth bass market drives demand, marketing, and ultimately the success of many of these lures and if the don't catch on quickly in the bass circuits they are gone. This is a shame because many of these minnows are excellent largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, and trout lures, but many are considered too small or fragile by large mouth fishers with their powerful baitcasting rods, reels, and their fondness for swinging a bass into a boat.

There are lots of these Japanese finesse lures and many are on the small or light side for most US bass fishers, but Lucky Craft, Duo, Jackall, Zipbaits, and other Japanese manufacturers offer bass sizes that work great and they come and go quickly if they don't make it in the US bass market.

Some even have magnetic weight transfer systems that make them cast great and have amazing actions, but it also makes them on the expensive side for our market.

They are beautifully crafted with amazing actions, but here today and gone tomorrow. In many cases you need to upgrade their hardware because their hooks tend to be on the light side.

I have a good number of them and they work great, but once you lose one you may not be able to replace it.

The Lucky Craft Pointer minnow series is one that has caught on, continues as a great producer, and is widely available. Lucky Craft has produced a lot of great minnows, but the Trigger, Flash, and smaller Slender Pointer Minnows never caught on. I think the Slender Pointers and some Flash Minnows are still available in larger and saltwater versions, but will ultimately be gone. The Pointer Minnow SP's in 65, 78, and 100mm will catch fish just about anywhere. The 78 and 100 mm are considered classics.

It is a shame that many of these great smallmouth sized lures don't catch on, but most don't survive in the largemouth driven market. The Slender Pointers were specifically designed and marketed for the smallmouth fishing and still did not find a niche.

The DB minnow was one of the first Japanese minnows and is still a great producer if you can find one, but they don't cast as well as the newer versions.

The X-raps were Rapalas' attempt to knock off these highly crafted Japanese lures and IMO they are good, but not great. Yo-zuri also has some good offerings in the minnow lure category.

Before the Japanese minnows came a long my favorites were from Storm and Rapala.

Edited by Jay Blair

Scooby, I saw your other post where u suggested these. I was looking at them on their site, the size 80/95. Do you use either of these sizes?

Heres a vid i found of the action. That wobble on the pause while its dropping looks deadly..

I think i have every size and style.  They make little tiny ones as well as slims.  Up to larger sizes.  (the only one i don't think i have is the 125 3 hook slim (i think that's a thing)

The action on the drop that i mentioned earlier is redonculous....and the ones i fish swim differently than in the video.   I don't know if it's because i employ a fastach or owner clip vs tying direct.   But it has a much more pronounced "pivot on the nose" side by side wobble than shown in the vid.

They dart nice on the twitch too

If they made a 6 or 9" version like a needle for salt....no other needle would be needed.  As long as it fell like these

FYI if you've seen mey scoobydoo rigs that i've posted here.   The shifting of the center of gravity gives some baits that effect.

Also OSP Do live stick fall like that if you want a larger profile in a soft weedless bait.  As do duo realis spy baits

Edited by scoobydoo

The Daiwa DB minnow was one of the first of these new age Japanese minnows that worked great, had a small dedicated following, but was discontinued, came back, and may have been discontinued again.

The problem is that the largemouth bass market drives demand, marketing, and ultimately the success of many of these lures and if the don't catch on quickly in the bass circuits they are gone. This is a shame because many of these minnows are excellent largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, and trout lures, but many are considered too small or fragile by large mouth fishers with their powerful baitcasting rods, reels, and their fondness for swinging a bass into a boat.

There are lots of these Japanese finesse lures and many are on the small or light side for most US bass fishers, but Lucky Craft, Duo, Jackall, Zipbaits, and other Japanese manufacturers offer bass sizes that work great and they come and go quickly if they don't make it in the US bass market.

Some even have magnetic weight transfer systems that make them cast great and have amazing actions, but it also makes them on the expensive side for our market.

They are beautifully crafted with amazing actions, but here today and gone tomorrow. In many cases you need to upgrade their hardware because their hooks tend to be on the light side.

I have a good number of them and they work great, but once you lose one you may not be able to replace it.

The Lucky Craft Pointer minnow series is one that has caught on, continues as a great producer, and is widely available. Lucky Craft has produced a lot of great minnows, but the Trigger, Flash, and smaller Slender Pointer Minnows never caught on. I think the Slender Pointers and some Flash Minnows are still available in larger and saltwater versions, but will ultimately be gone. The Pointer Minnow SP's in 65, 78, and 100mm will catch fish just about anywhere. The 78 and 100 mm are considered classics.

It is a shame that many of these great smallmouth sized lures don't catch on, but most don't survive in the largemouth driven market. The Slender Pointers were specifically designed and marketed for the smallmouth fishing and still did not find a niche.

The DB minnow was one of the first Japanese minnows and is still a great producer if you can find one, but they don't cast as well as the newer versions.

The X-raps were Rapalas' attempt to knock off these highly crafted Japanese lures and IMO they are good, but not great. Yo-zuri also has some good offerings in the minnow lure category.

Before the Japanese minnows came a long my favorites were from Storm and Rapala.

I hope people read this...quite a bit of valuable first hand info in that post!

Edited by scoobydoo

I have a couple of the Live Pointer MR from LC. Havent fished them yet tho. Do you have any experience with them?

The live Pointer work great until they don't. Their jointed bodies are susceptible to damage and once they are damaged they are basically done. They took off initially and then the demand cooled off. I know some folks that love them, but my experiences have been mixed.

If you have some live pointers I would use them as long as they hold up.

The other hard bodied pointers SP's generally suspend horizontally almost perfectly and some even quiver in place when you stop them. They also walk-the-dog underwater, but their are some Japanese minnows that do it better.

Scooby's Wanders are a interesting specialty sinking lure that casts a mile and definitely has its niche. He opened my eyes to its possibilities this past season and I think it works best twitching it with the rod tip up like Scooby mentioned. If you need a lure to cover long distances that casts accurately it definitely has its place in your kit, but like many of the Japanese offerings it may not be available for long.

Edited by Jay Blair

Jerkbait fishing is my favorite technique in freshwater and I have a huge collection of them.

I used to be a big lucky craft pointer guy.  In the early 2000's I bought my first megabass vision 110 on that auction site, from Japan.  Spring comes and I'm throwing my pointer 100 in ghost minnow without a bite.  I thought to myself, might as well try the megabass.  I went back down that same stretch I had just fished with the pointer and had lights out fishing, catching smallmouth on every few casts up to 4lbs.  Since that day I never looked back and own 20+ of the vision 110's in various colors.  They have become a lot easier to acquire since that time with the advent of Megabass coming stateside.  Yes they cost $25 a piece and it hurts when you lose one, but they are unbelievable fish catchers in the spring and fall.  For clear to slightly stained water my favorite colors have been HT Ito Tennessee Shad, Pro Blue (or other variations IE Pro Blue 2, Skeleton Tennesee), Ito Natural and also GG Perch anywhere there are yellow perch.  

The vision 110's have a weight transfer system so they really cut through the wind.  I've also caught some big rainbows on them in reservoirs with holdovers.

I have been fishing the Duo Realis 120SP more lately.  This bait really bombs at 5/8oz and with a weight transfer system.  They are in the Lucky Craft range at $14.49.  I have caught some big largemouth on this lure.  

I have some more finesse baits I like to throw when it's slick calm or post frontal but they don't really apply to the "best casting" question.

Jay I knew the Flash Minnow's were discontinued but didn't realize they are now getting hard to find.  I really like the 95MR for fishing over submerged grass when you need a lure that won't go deeper than 2 or 3 feet.  The 95MR and 110 are big LC sleeper baits to me.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the 95MR as it looks like the 110's are still available for now.

Edited by Heavy Seas

I upgrade the hardware on most of my lures because some of the lures come with hooks that are on the light side for larger fish. The singles are part of the upgrade on selected lures as per Scooby's recommendations.

Yeah the 97 MRs are a great smallmouth and walleye lure and I also liked the 82 MRs when you could get them. The 80 and 95SP Flash Minnows were great lures as well and now they are discontinued.

The 78SP Pointer Minnow is a smallmouth killer.

Duo makes some great stuff and there are other Nippon lure companies that make great lures.

Edited by Jay Blair