Running Ape

Best casting stickbait/swimming plug?

35 posts in this topic

This topic is not getting much love in the main forum. Any suggestions of modern, 3/8-1/2 ounce swimmers/stickbaits that cast well?

I have heard daiwa makes a freshwater sized sp minnow equivalent, I just can't seem to find it.

Of all the FW minnow lure I have used, Lucky Crafts cast the best and have the best action.

Live Target Minnow lures are also very good casters.

X-raps are decent casting, but their weight transfer system still has nothing on the LC's or Live Targets.

Edited by Pylodictis

Pylo, I may have to pony up for some lucky crafts. I have a bunch of yo zuri plugs and love them, though the castabliity leaves something to be desired.

The LC's do really well even casting into a head wind, but at $15 a pop they due cost a couple ponies.

What are you fishing for?

Most FW species of game fish have no issue eating the 5 1/8in or 6in SP minnows.

^^^^This is true. I've actually caught crappie on the 15 sized sp. As I mentioned in your other post, take a look at the savage manic prey in the 95 size. They throw really well, and come with pretty good hardware, right out of the box.

I have heard daiwa makes a freshwater sized sp minnow equivalent, I just can't seem to find it.

Only thing I could dig out of the box that reminds me of a freshwater sp, would be daiwas DS minnow. I used to be able to get them around here for $6. Hardware needs to be changed outta the box, but they do cast well and catch. Pic of one below..

post-17352-0-95007400-1486524354.jpg

You may be right. Its been a couple years since I've bought any. I did a quick search and their were some that popped up on the big auction site. Also, take a look at shimano's coltsniper lures, with and without the lip. The sniper without the lip throws good, I've tossed it. Havent tossed the lipped version yet.

One other lure I dug out of the bag is daiwa's DB minnow. Feels like it'll throw pretty good, but hooks and rings need to be changed. Forgot I even had these....

Lucky craft 78sp, 100sp,112mr's for me then rapala xrap craps cast well in the 8 and 10 sizes and don't cost as much. Size 6's work well for spinning rods in finesse situations as well.

Thanks

Dan G

As to what I am fishing for: anything! I live on the cape and there are a many ponds that have trout, the usual two bass species, pickerel, perch, etc. I tend to use my "extra long crankbait rod" (a steelhead rod) for wading that loads very well with 1/2 to 5/8 ounce. All of these fish are a target, and casting distance is very helpful. Other times I do use a smaller, light rod and 1/8-1/4 ounce lures.

I am going to get a few of the savage and lucky craft minnows, and look into fining a ds minnow or two from flea bay. It will be hard to not bing are looking are the lures suggested here.

I mentioned the LC wander.  Nothing can out cast it.

It has a side to side action..but a little different than a lipped bait.

Shimano Arc minnows JDM baits launch

New rapala shadow rap shads take off.  Sometimes mid cast they will plane upwards (with spinning gear)_...like a frisbee in the wind.  but the consistency isn't 100%  it can be something of a concern in tight quarters casting.  When 5 90' casts go as planned and the 6th over shoots by 30'

Definitely be at the ready to feather the line with these baits.

THe megabass cutter is an interesting bait as well.  not much built in action.  But darts well   Looks like a bottle darter....well kinda.  Great bait if you like to stay busy....some are Pretty too....especially the peach marble over trans purple...

Some spy baits like the evergreen prop magic 95 may also fit the bill.  They have more action than standard spybaits.  A slight tail wag and roll  

Edited by scoobydoo