Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

North Fork Blanks on Sale

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

At a well-known rodbuilding supply house. 

Anyone have any dirt on this? Is it a good time to stock up on these blanks? Or should I avoid them? 

Enquiring minds want to know! :D

My understanding is that they are really nice blanks.  Having said that, I dont think I would buy them becuase they are way overpriced imo.  Also, rumors of company closing shop due to bankruptcy.

My understanding is that they are really nice blanks.  Having said that, I dont think I would buy them becuase they are way overpriced imo.  Also, rumors of company closing shop due to bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy is not a rumor: a Google search of Jon Bial vs. North Fork Composites will show you that NFC is indeed in bankruptcy court (Chapter 11) in Washington State. That is not hearsay: it's fact. 

The most recent thing I saw was in December, in a Tackle Trade World post: at the time, the CEO of NFC said that bankruptcy was just a legal mechanism to restructure debt, and that that the company was still very viable. He said at the time that NFC would be around for a very long time. 

But then these blanks got put on closeout: the deal I saw was buy one at regular price, get the 2nd 50%-70% off (I contemplated taking the plunge, but they were too rich for my blood even after the discount. I have no need to spend $300 on two blanks. But, as usual, I digress). This kind of fire sale does not exactly stir the soul with confidence about the viability of the company going forward. 

I have no idea whether the company is toast, or whether this is rearranging some furniture, and will be back. It's the reason I asked -- I got no clue what the real deal is, and would like to know. 

yes, NFC is one of the new gary loomis new companies, and yes, it is a fact about the bankruptcy.  I am not sure however whether or not they are closing and dumping inventory to get out or just trying to make some quick cash flow.  I have heard both as rumors.  Gary loomis has recently raised a lot of money on kick starter for another company, edge rods.  either way, like has been said, even with the discount they are still too rich for my blood. 

Edited by Pier_man0909

dont know that anyone is yet but if the company is actually bankrupt im sure they will

The OP said they were on sale.....sorta like dumping

just curious.,

I only use about 3 models of NF...