Heavy Hooksetter

Fish caught on custom wood 2017,,,,,

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

since it's a new year it's time for a sequel to the 2016 thread,which was great.

so,who will start it off?

Well, since you asked so politely, I 'wood' like to start us off on the 2017 edition. But, before I get to the pictures, I'd like to say: last year you CRUSHED it, Roddy! You make a lot of your own lures, don't get much credit for it in the Lure Building forum, but apparently they work; because every time I opened up last year's thread, there was a gator hanging off one of your Hounddogs, or a fat female with one of your other metal lips hanging out of her mouth.

And it was great to see all those names, all those plugs, all those fish pics....from people I have been following for a few years on this site, and some whom I've now met in person

But my absolute favorite, was the guy who caught that gigantic bluefish. The thing was massive, and I think it was on a spook. I have dreams about someday hooking up with a blue that big.

Anyhow, tonight I was getting out jigged by my friend. I only had 3 fish by the time he had like 10.When the last of my favorite paddle tails' got its paddle bit off, I said "screw it," and tied on one of my mini darters. From that point on, it was game on, with about 10 more fish from 15" to 40". I could not believe how hard they were slamming this darn lure.

post-45396-0-33879400-1491185942.jpg

post-45396-0-04195100-1491185970.jpg

post-45396-0-91897500-1491186021.jpg

post-45396-0-72161800-1491186065.jpg

post-45396-0-54316500-1491186095.jpg

My first fish of many on my blurple sunset... I wish I could buy these things for a normal price to replace the yellow one I lost

Nice, McJigger!

I don't think I'll wear my breathable waders for a few more weeks, but I like your style (big wood early in the year)

I had a spooky slamboree out front last night:

Wow nice! And from the beach? Awesome. Heading out tonight with a selection of my finest homemades (and some clams for good luck).

Wow nice! And from the beach? Awesome. Heading out tonight with a selection of my finest homemades (and some clams for good luck).

Thanks. I think the fish on the beach (all over 28") are out looking for the herring, which should be staging to run up the rivers. I got some taps but no hook-ups on smaller lures, but they exploded on the spook. Later, I went into the harbor area, and collected 3 more +28" on swimshad, sluggo, and 1 on homemade mini-darter:

I've tried clams....I just don't have the technique down yet. I'll take some neighborhood kids worm fishing in May...pretty much always catch something with worms

post-45396-0-79890300-1492284611.jpg

One in the surf this morning on a 6 inch swimmer. Why is this thread in the Main Forum this year, it always used to be in the Plug Builders Forum?

post-26013-0-89940100-1492777344.jpg