Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

I Survived

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Trish and I took off work Friday and decided to go down to Carmel for the weekend.

I remember driving the convertible down Highway 1 to Big Sur. There was a guy in the middle of the freaking national forest standing on the side of the road with butterfly wings on. The scenery was beautiful. I remember that because I was sober, and driving.

I remmeber seeing the BatMobile at one point, too.

Weather was foggy. So was my head. We partied for three days straight.

Yesterday morning we had booked a couple spots on the Caroline outta Monterey Bay for rock cod.

Temps were in the high 50s... big wind, fog, swells....

I don't think I've ever had the crap beat out of me like that. I've been hit by a truck and didn't feel as bad and as sore as I do today.

5 minutes out of the dock and we had the first hurler back in the back. Trish and I and a father and his two sons, 11 and 15 had the whole bow of the boat.

The young kid got scared to death halfway out and we had to literally carry him to the back... and his father sat back with him while the oldest kid and Trish and I rode out the waves up front. Don't know how we made it. Mechanical bulls are easier to ride.... 12-15 foot seas EASY and not a very big boat!

Ten more folks hurled before we got to our first drift. Trish turned green. We started fishing. Trish turned greener. I started feeling it and swallowed a couple meclazine straight and dry outta my pocket. Felt better. More pukers. Trish still holding it in. I felt great.

Slam... one side of the bow to the other the five of us went. Back and forth. Slam to one side, then slammed to the other, then slammed to our knees then slammed into each other. Then grabbing kids before they flew off and slamming around some more.

Trish and I limit first.

She sat down for the rest of the trip. I was kinda pissed at her. It's one thing to be miserable.. and it IS miserable to be seasick.. it's a totally different thing for you to have to make everyone ELSE miserable with your snivelling and whining and grouchiness and stuff.

I helped the scared kid the rest of the trip. I'd get behind him and put my arms around him and held onto the rail and let him stand there in my arms and reel.. then let the line down for him, reel it to where the fish were, jig it once or twice, get a fish on and let him reel up, grabbed him when he went sailing across the bow. The dad was busy with his other son. Trish was still feeling sick. At that point... EVERYONE on the boat except for the five of us up front, the mate and the Captain had hurled.

We were catching fish quickly and the boat was getting it's limit fast. Mostly because us in the front were busting ass to get limits for the guys laying on the deck in the back barfing... who couldn't fish... so we could go in... we just kept donating them to the cause. Then the Captain said something that blew my mind... He said we were catching too many fish on that drift and he was going to pull up and take us somewhere else where we couldn't limit out so fast to stretch the trip out. eek.gifeek.gif Never heard of a Captain say he wanted to go somewhere that we couldn't catch any more fish.

I heard another puker.

At the next place, almost nobody else was fishing except for me and the dad and two kids. We were constantly being thrown around. Trish was close to hurling. Everyone was sick. We got limits. The Captain finally announced that the boat had limited and we were heading in. A huge round of cheers went up into the air. Trish complained the whole way in. mad.gif Me and the dad and the kids ate.

We were bruised, battered, hurting in places we didn't know we could hurt. I've got more bruises than I think I've ever had at one time before.

We were in by 11 and the Captain was gonna take another boatload out but cancelled it saying "I am not going back out in that stuff."

Fish got filleted and we had a fish fry for dinner last night.

Woke up at 0430 and made the 2 hour drive to work. Think I'm going to die. Bought NoDoz next door and am about to pop several of them.

I'm not gonna make it to 4!!

always enjoyed betting on who would blow chunks first heading out deep sea fishing on capt. Johns.

watched the lady one time turning green and said to my buddy watch this one next thing you know off comes her big hat and she filled it.

please take me back please..sorry lady another 6hours till then cwm27.gif

Yer a tough one Tam icon25.gif

Nothing like a whole boat full of people hurling...makes a lotta fun for the guy who has to clean it up cwm31.gif People that get sick on a boat have no interest in aiming it in a bucket or sink or over the rail - they'll hurl on anything and in ever nook and cranny eek.gif I know...when I was a kid, I had to clean up a few very nasty party boats redface.gif

Glad yah survived HappyWave.gif

TimS

cwm27.gifupck.gif Great story. I can imagine it as if I were there. Last weekend I went down to NC with a few friends for some snapper/grouper fishing on a partyboat. The weather was iffy and we hit some nice "mini-rogue" waves on the steam out. It was a small boat and not everyone could fit in the cabin. We were takin all kinds of spray and the pukers at the rail were getting drenched. I felt bad for them because now they were cold, wet, and miserable. I was fine and I had my oil skins on so I was staying dry when fishing the bow. Captain turned the trip around early mad.gif because of the weather and gave out refunds icon14.gif . I was kind of bummed out because I really wanted to fish.

It WAS pretty gnarly. Final count was 25 people... and all but the Captain, the mate, the dad, one of the kids and me and Trish puked. Trish was so close and so miserable and so bent on making everyone else around her miserable that she might as well have been sick.

I figured I was there, I was fishing, it sucked, but I was gonna make the best out of it.... and trying to make sure the kids got some fish and had SOME fun.

When we got off the boat, we had to walk through the deck and it was upck.gif

We did get to see some cute sea otters, and sea lions and seals and even a big ole elephant seal though. I'd never been rockfishing in CA before, so I was bound and determined to enjoy every last minute of it.

I hate whiners. hammer-time.gif

I helped the scared kid the rest of the trip. I'd get behind him and put my arms around him and held onto the rail and let him stand there in my arms and reel..

Lucky Kid! biggrin.gif

Also, the Butterfly winged guy. Is that a west coast thing?

Hi Tam HappyWave.gif

Well someone has to say it.

Hope you weren't wearing BRASS when you had the kid pinned to the rail. He'd be emotionally and

physically scarred for life.

biggrin.gif

about 6 years ago, my buddies and I booked a trip on the Viking out of Montauk on December 3rd for my b-day. It was late night eeling (30 person limit) 7p-2a. IT was cold, mid 30's, it was rainy, and it was blowing 25-30 knots... I was sure the trip wuold be cancelled, but the fishing had been soo good, the captain made the annoucement, that we were going out. it was the 5 of us, and about 13 other people, bug boat and lots of room, and a great selection of live eels to choose from. We haul out to the Sub-Bouy, and begin eeling... oh, I forgot to mention, the waves were friggen huge... captain estimated on the way out, 8-10, while we were fishing, 10-12, and steady 12 on the way home... it was cold, rainy, snowy and rough... I guess the 12 beers I had helped me not get sick, but the moral of the story is, that night, everyone on the boat had fish over 35... oeveryone on the boat with the exception of myself, 1 of my friends and the captain puked... I had a fish just under 45lbs that I was sure was going to win the pool... some guy, a real trooper, who did nothing but fish and puke THE WHOLE TIME... landed a 48lb+ fish that won the pool... he puked all over his rod and the fish when it was coming over the rails...

It was like Monty Python, total Barf-fest...

BC

please take me back please..sorry lady another 6hours till then cwm27.gif

That's the thing to remember when the seas are rough - there's no going back. To be sick and know that relief is 6 hours away. That's tough -I've been there.

Since then I get the scopalmine patch form my doctor. Seems to work for me.

My sister and her family were in Carmel this weekend!

Seasickness is the worse. Happened to me in Puerto Rico a few years back. About 6 hours of getting sick, having a drink of water and waiting to get sick again. Was on a 17" whaler w/2 friends on my former inlaws. They kept asking if I wanted to go in but I didn't want to ruin their day. Got back to the dock, touched dry land and felt as good as new confused.gif