Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

Daiwa's NEW SS-II Tourney reels...

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Took a broken Shimano to the shop for replacement, and decided to look around. The fellow behind the counter was proud to show me the NEW, Daiwa SS-II Tournament reel, the one that replaces the legendary Whisker.

The reel was tight and smooth, as I expected, but something occurred to me. I asked if they still had one of the clearance Regal Z's to compare it with. They did, a 2500. Upon close inspection, there was NOT much difference between the two. In fact, they were almost identical. Check it out...

RegalZ 2500 ------------- SS-II 2500

Infinite Anti-Reverse ------ Infinite Anti-Reverse

4+1 BB ---------------------- 4+1 BB

140 yds 10# -------------- 140 yds 10#

Impreg. felt/SS drag ----- Impreg. felt/SS drag

Reverse tapered spool ---- Reverse tapered spool

Locomotive levelwind ----- Worm gear levelwind

Titanium Twist Buster ---- Titanium Twist Buster

Gyro Spin balancing ------ Gyro Spin balancing

Lifetime bail spring --------- Lifetime bail spring

Spare Graphite spool ----- Spare Aluminum spool

Bail Safe open cam ------- Bail Safe open cam

10.6 oz ---------------------- 10.4 oz

Now for the only BIG difference....

RegalZ- $42.99

SS-II - $149.99

A ONE HUNDRED AND SEVEN DOLLAR DIFFERENCE?!?

The guy in the shop told me they sell a ton of RegalZ's, and that they NEVER come back with problems. People simply come back to buy more! We came to the conclusion that Daiwa felt they were "giving too much for the money" so they decided to pull the Z's, re-name them, and make more profit.

I left with that Regal Z, along with my new Stradic. smile.gif

IF you need a decent, middle-of-the-road reel, and you see a Regal Z on clearance, I'd recommend you grab it.

TH

[This message has been edited by thill (edited 09-22-2002).]

Tony.....for 89.99 you can but the "legendary" whisker series 2600SS. Its by far the best spinner I own and currently use.....I have 2 in service right now. Sure it doesnt have instant anti reverse....but that doesnt bother me in the slightest.

In fact I am thinking of buying another 2600SS. In my opinoin why but a 150$ reel when the 90$ kicks butt smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John,

I agree about the Whisker SS. Great reels.

But I jig fish almost exclusively. Do you know how annoying it is to hear, "Clack! Clack! Clack! Clack!" all day and night?!?

The Z has been an outstanding reel for me. Not a single complaint so far. It is a Daiwa, which may mean something. I've received positive comments from Z owners here. And for HALF the price of the Whisker, I'll buy two and use one for parts if it ever dies. smile.gif

TH

PS- If I fished other methods, I would probably stick to the proven Whisker, just like you.

One other difference:

SS II--Made in Japan

Regal Z--"Made somewhere else"

I killed a Regal Z in less than a full season. My SS 2600 (original) is over 10 years old and still going strong.

Ditch, I seem to remember that you had a bad experience with that reel, although most of the feedback was very positive ones on that original thread.

Do you think it was just a dud? Maybe some poor Thai kid was sleepy from working 14 hours in a row...

TH

[This message has been edited by thill (edited 09-22-2002).]

I agree with John M, the SS2600 has been in Daiwa's line since the mid to late 80's.

Time tested and proven.You'd be hard pressed to find a better drag system on a reel.

I own 2 SS1600's and 2 2600's. No bells and whistles, just a good solid reel. After years of hard use I have never had a problem. Just clean em and use em.

Bernzy

I just sent back the VS for service and used the 2600 yesterday.

It casts better than the VS, has a better drag than the "older" VS and is just a nice reel for a hundred bucks.

The only thing I hate about it is the BAIL.

After not using a reel with a bail I am paranoid I'm gonna snap something off if I really lay into it..

Interesting...

John, when you jig, your reel doesn't clack against the 6-pin anti-reverse? You don't feel it every time you jig your lure or set the hook?

Not trying to argue, because we are on the same team, here. I absolutely agree that the Whikers are bulletproof reels, just curious.

TH

Tony, I looked at the reel you're talking about and it was ok. The bail roller looked a little subpar. I much prefer the big, heavy, noisy time tested BG series. For multi-pattern boat fishing, infinite anti-reverse doesn't really matter. You're too stuck on the techniques Dressler taught you. There's more to "jigging" than deadsticking a bass assassin at anchor over the nuke discharge.

Tony I dont do much vertical jigging so I dont notice any problem. Even if I did I have used reels like that so long it wouldnt bug me. I use mine to mostly throw swimmers, metal and jigs. But on the beach its more horizontal jigging which has a different feel.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John,

What you say makes perfect sense to me. It really wasn't that long ago when I thought a SILENT anti-reverse was hot stuff! biggrin.gif Then I used infinite anti-reverse for a while, and stopped using my tried and true reels.

Suddenly, when I picked them up again to jig, I discovered that the backplay and click drove me NUTS! But I still DO like them plugging the surf. Still work flawlessly, after all these years. You cannot complain about that!

Shark,

Just for your information, Pete Dressler recommends using a conventional reel when dead-sticking an Assassin in a current. Better control.

TH

thill,

Two things not on your comparison list, composition of the reel body and composition of gears. That can have an effect on cost. Can it make a $45 to $107 difference? I don't know.

John

Even though the difference in the cost of materials would only be a couple of bucks, that's a valid question.

In person, they both seem to be made of graphite, but I can't find anything written. I'll have to try and find out.

TH