jim smith

Tilefish fishing in NJ

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Newbe here. I never fished for tilefish before and I plan on giving it a try this year. I live in NJ and I know of a boat the Voyager out of Pt Pleasant that fishes for them. If any pros out there can give me some pointers were to start will be a lot of help. Rods, reels, line and all else I might need to get started. Also when is the best time of year for success? Thanks Jim

Go deep, fish mud, if it's overcast-forget it.

Whatever reel you decide on, 30lb braid, nice neat rig, don't overdo the jewelry.

Edited by meccalli

Go to NYC, sneak a rod and reel and a 25 lb plate weight up to the observation deck of the Empire State Building. Let the line out till it hits the ground. Then reel up. If the line hits the ground, the weights still attached when it gets back up, the rod hasn't snapped and your biceps and forearm muscles are still attached to your body and you can do this two dozen times in a day, you are set to tile fish.

Go to NYC, sneak a rod and reel and a 25 lb plate weight up to the observation deck of the Empire State Building. Let the line out till it hits the ground. Then reel up. If the line hits the ground, the weights still attached when it gets back up, the rod hasn't snapped and your biceps and forearm muscles are still attached to your body and you can do this two dozen times in a day, you are set to tile fish.

A little over dramatic? If interested go try it at least once for the bucket list, I was lucky my first trip was a bluebird day in only 500' of water and 2 lbs of lead. You can fish as hard as you want. Just bring a kid's swim noodle to put over the rail. This will protect your rod when you rest it on the rail to give your arms a rest. The boats that Tile fish only take about 25 fares or just one side of the boat. Just have good bait that's not mushy. You don't want to be cranking up all the time because you lost your bait. The boats normally give you squid but most fares supplement this. Fresh big fluke ribbons and strips of bluefish fillets all work good. I have heard silver eel strips are good. Your biggest cost other than the fare will be the rod and reel. Some trips there will be a limited number of loaner rods. For info as stated already you can't go wrong with Dave A. he owns a tackle shop and loves to Tile fish. His shop is in Brielle NJ. All I can say Tile fishing is not for everyone. 

That's why you fish 30lb braid, you'll be fishing nearly 8lbs of lead with 80lb braid. It isn't as hard as it seems, particularly when folks want to go manual tilefishing with a 6;1 reel.

Newbe here. I never fished for tilefish before and I plan on giving it a try this year. I live in NJ and I know of a boat the Voyager out of Pt Pleasant that fishes for them. If any pros out there can give me some pointers were to start will be a lot of help. Rods, reels, line and all else I might need to get started. Also when is the best time of year for success? Thanks Jim

Jim,

Give me a call. This time of the year I am in thurs-sat.

Dave...732-223-5353

Jim,

Give me a call. This time of the year I am in thurs-sat.

Dave...732-223-5353

Want to know how to Tilefish in the NE?

Do exactly what is quoted above.  You wont be sorry.