Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wormy

Block Island Plug Selection

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Will be heading to Block Is. this fall for 5 days, late Sept, and all I know is Hatteras Fishing.

I need some advice to help me get the best selection of plugs for Block Is. I am not lookin for you guys secrets or anything cause I am a strong believer in fishing and learning. Any info y'all could offer to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I would just like to be semi prepared for anything that the Block has to offer.

Thanks much!

Wormy

Hi wormy...use red gills as a teaser I like the 3" version. Needlefish that ride high in the water column are supposed to be a big hit as well. Wooden swimmers should be good. I am just going by what little I know.

Rigged eels I would imagine would be deadly.

Or live eels if the plugs are not working.

Perhaps a chunk of squid on the bottom.

JohnS

Wormy,

You can just fish out of my bag, so you don't have to buy a couple hundred dollars of plugs. I got more than enough plugs to go around for everyone to go around, along with the rigged eels and lives I'll bring.

See you up there,

Phil L

Last year white w/red head needle fish plugs did well for me. Green is also very popular.

Also bring some black/silver bombers if there's bunker around.

Needlefish---pink if you can find 'em, plus all black and all white. Long and stubbies.

High-running swimmers like metal lips and Redfins.

As many live eels as you can keep alive for the trip.

Unless you want to throw tin and poppers during the day at bluefish, the above selection is a good start.

Yeah John I remember. I like pink too for up the Cape...but I didn't paint that many pink and they were stubbies. I've been looking for a nice full size needle say 2oz to copy. I finally found one thanks to Dave C and the auction...a nice Bob Hahn 2 oz jobber...so out comes the lexan to make a template. I'll let you know, perhaps we can do a Sat thing and turn 20 or so bodies down using cedar without knots!!!!!(poke, poke..just kidding). As soon as I am finished building the Lami, I'll start...also going to do some darters.

Phil L

Phil,

Put me down for a few of those needlefish and darters, just let me know what I owe ya..smile.gif

I would offer to help and or supply materials but that drive from NC is kinda far..wink.gif

Thanks,

Wormy

Speaking of eels, I am a little concerned about their availability out there. I'll be on the island for a week in july. Only one bait shop. Anybody know their track record as far as having a dependable supply of live eels?

Normally I'd just pack my own but the trip is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. My wife was good enough to suggest we go where i can fish. smile.gif Packing along 2 or 3 dozen eels might push it. Let alone storing them in the tub of some swanky B&B. biggrin.gif

Plug the only bait shop is twin maples. Call them before you leave and ask about eels. If they dont have them bring them. Be sure to ask them about sizes, sometimes all they have is the little shoestrings, not the 15 inchers you want smile.gif

I always bring my own when I go up there.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Plug you might want to find out if there's a place in Pt. Judith that keeps a good selection of eels in stock. Since your going to be on the island for a week, you might want to make a mid week morning trip back. It's only a 45 minute ferry ride. I've only thrown plugs myself from the island.