bonefishdick

Florida Flies

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Back on December 30th Brian asked about my Sanibel Box and asked If I would go into detail about what was in it. I did post some individual pictures of the flies that I felt I would be using this year. . This post will be a progress report to be updated with pictures of the flies that will find their way into this years "entourage".

These are what I started with back on 1-16- 17 My small Toads

post-26978-0-73227500-1485277749.jpg

Today's addition, 1 dozen Lucy's

post-26978-0-74427200-1485277878.jpg

post-26978-0-44416500-1485277906.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick

Making progress on the box, these are the last three additions, 6 of each

Size 1 - 34007 - White Marabou, silver holographic flash, extra large bead chain and EP 1 inch Tarantula Legs body, Hot Orange 210 Ultra Thread

post-26978-0-05036100-1485533008.jpg

Size 1 - 34007 - White Marabou, no flash, Medium White Sparkle Yarn body, Extra Large Bead Chain Eyes, Hot Orange 210 Ultra Tread

post-26978-0-43936400-1485533023.jpg

Size 1 - 34007 - White Pseudo Marabou, Med White Crystal Chenille body, no flash, Medium Black Bead Chain Eyes, Hot Orange,210 Ultra Thread

post-26978-0-65032700-1485533033.jpg

Where do you use those Small toads with the gold hooks. Fresh water?

The Toads are for Ding Darling for the baby Tarpon, the hooks are Dura Tin, they just look gold because of the reflection off of the Marabou.

I would not be adverse to giving the Toads a try off the beach if i saw a lot of Snook in schools cruising by in good numbers just as an experiment.

Toads in this size also make a great Striper fly on the beach. 

The Toads are for Ding Darling for the baby Tarpon, the hooks are Dura Tin, they just look gold because of the reflection off of the Marabou.

I would not be adverse to giving the Toads a try off the beach if i saw a lot of Snook in schools cruising by in good numbers just as an experiment.

Toads in this size also make a great Striper fly on the beach. 

Agreed- one of your spots near the Elbow, in particular , in the spring....

Posted (edited)

Dick - what material are you using for the toad body, EP? Lookin good! 

Nate got it at the at the TCO fly shop when I was visiting my son in Boiling Springs, when I saw it  snapped it up, I would think the Bearsden would have it, it is by Wapsi, Polypropylene Floating Yarn, Chartreuse, PY 173

Edited by bonefishdick

Dick - what material are you using for the toad body, EP? Lookin good! 

I've been using Congo Hair from Fly Tyers' D.... like EP but super cheap.  His Congo has no flash in it but works great for toads, crabs & the usual.

also - Craig Smothers out of the Tampa area has a slew of really neat videos on all kinds of flies & tricks.  He's on youtube & also there's a club site.

BFD --

As others have said: Thanks so much for your interesting & informative posts.

I'm an old guy, but a brand new fly tyer [1 month] - AND - I'm heading to Ft. Myers for the month of April.  First chance for extended, repetitive trips to the beaches - so your posts and fly recipes are perfectly timed.  You've provided a nice challenge for the next month or 2.  [Likely biting off more than is chewable.]

Just wanted you to know some of us that post infrequently are paying attention!

Thanks again.

VTD48

VTD thanks, enjoy your trip, Florida is a nice place to be that time of year, I think the beaches will be crowded the first part of the month but things should thin out after Easter. I'm not sure how familiar you are with that area but you should check out Lovers Key State Park. if the wind conditions are right, parking is somewhat limited but the fishing can be good at time. I would also suggest a day trip to Sanibel but wait until after the 15th because traffic cab be very heavy since it is an island with one main road.

If you ever come to Mass for some Stripers send me pm and I willl tell you a place to try that is very user friendly for someone new to the salt with a fly rod

Posted (edited)

I think I have enough flies to get me through a good stretch of time when I finally get to Florida, these are the last batch of flies I did and these are my Chernobyl Schminnows with Lead Eyes on a size 1 hook. I think up to now it is  a toss up between my Lucy and these bad boys as to which fly is my best producer.

Deadly Dozen of Bad Boys

post-26978-0-37121400-1485701092.jpg

One Bad Boy

post-26978-0-56487600-1485701131.jpg

Home Made Fly Box - fits perfectly in my sling pack 

all stocked up and ready to go

post-26978-0-61847400-1485701276.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick

BFD, thank you.  It's always a pleasure to poke my bulbous nose in someone's fly box. 

One fly that never seems to turn up in our discussions is the Glass Minnow, basically some V-rib on a hook with an eye up front and a touch of marabou behibd - as best I remember it.  Has the pattern fallen into disuse? Does it have an association with a different region of Florida?

Posted (edited)

Brian, the Lucy is tied in the traditional style clouser format.. All my flies for Florida are tied on el-cheepo 34007 or 3407 Mustad hooks simple because the flies  do not have a long life span, especially when the small jacks and ladyfish are around and constantly trash the flies  in short order.

post-26978-0-72072900-1485704727.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick