riverrunner

SUSQUEHANNA 2017-2018

816 posts in this topic

I'll take one I can work with.....this yo yo stuff to the extreme plus the heat is driving me crazy. I think I forgot how to fish.  :eek: 

^^^^^^^^

Uncle!!

Last week was decent for a few days and at least the channels were biting!!

Channel.jpg

I'm going Wed or Thursday if it kills me or not.   :laugh:

7.5 today high 6 by Thursday. In da fall this would be wonderbar.  :th:

"No summer patterns for you".....no soup for u.  :laugh:

Very strange year.....I'm just going because I think I forgot how to fish.   

3 hours ago, riverrunner said:

I'm going Wed or Thursday if it kills me or not.   :laugh:

7.5 today high 6 by Thursday. In da fall this would be wonderbar.  :th:

"No summer patterns for you".....no soup for u.  :laugh:

Very strange year.....I'm just going because I think I forgot how to fish.   

Sometimes if you really want to fish, you have to get out and fish no matter what the conditions of the water are like. Actually, with the high water, I find fish much easier to locate.

Often times, the circumstances dictate what species I have to go for, different techniques I have to use, or limits I have to push my self to get on fish. For example, late fall through late winter drawing a catfish bite is extremely tough (nearly impossible if you are shore bound) due to water temps, so I adjust and target walleye and skis.

Often times, as anglers we develop a set pattern in our fishing habits and practices and forget that sometimes we have to change our patterns in order to find the fish's patterns. No matter how often we may assume that the fish are not on a pattern, fish are always on a pattern, they are creatures of pure instinct, it is their nature to be on a pattern.

You should try ripping 1oz rattle traps off the bottom behind current breaks.;)

Ok.....opinion noted. It still sucks. I've been doing this for a long time. I have never seen a year like this. This river goes up and down like a yo yo. In the best of times you can work with it....my favorite thing to do. The recent silly heat and the continual rain I have never seen before. The heat was just stupid and the rises were not gentle. I'm as adaptable as any one, but this year has been fuq'd. Just sayin.  :laugh:

Your Allegheny is much more gentle even in the worst of times. 

19 hours ago, riverrunner said:

Ok.....opinion noted. It still sucks. I've been doing this for a long time. I have never seen a year like this. This river goes up and down like a yo yo. In the best of times you can work with it....my favorite thing to do. The recent silly heat and the continual rain I have never seen before. The heat was just stupid and the rises were not gentle. I'm as adaptable as any one, but this year has been fuq'd. Just sayin.  :laugh:

I also can't ever remember a summer like this one! My numbers are way, way down and I  also try to be very flexible in my patterns, species, etc.  

"Sometimes if you really want to fish, you have to get out and fish no matter what the conditions of the water are like."

I have been recently living that statement and while I'm learning more, it is a struggle for me and quite frustrating.  Good luck it you get out later this week RR and keep us posted.

Fark this.....river went up over a foot with big current overnight wednesday. Never seen any thing like this. I'm going hunting.  :laugh:

6 mins ago, riverrunner said:

Fark this.....river went up over a foot with big current overnight wednesday. Never seen any thing like this. I'm going hunting.  :laugh:

Where is the towel!:(

I feel like you have skipped the good portion of the summer due to conditions effecting the river.

With all due respect, sometimes you have to adjust if you truly want to fish. Sometimes it requires new aproaches to the same species, sometimes it means learning how to target new species, but there is always fish to be caught, new ways to catch them, new challenges to face inorder to get on top of fish, it is what makes fishing fun, exciting, addictive, etc...

I am predominantly shore bound (except for the times I get out with the kayak) so I have a fraction of the ability to reach fish compared to a boat angler such as yourself, but regardless of the conditions I still go out and work with what I have to put myself on fish despite whether the river is up 2ft, 5ft, or more and grind out bites or skunks in an attempt to get bites. I don't have the extreme flexibility that a boat provides when working locations, you do have that tool. I am not saying catching fish off a boat is easy, but working and grinding out patterns and locations in spite of conditions is easier from a boat, use your tools. Again, I say this with all due respect.

Time not spent fishing is time you will never get back to fish with.

Posted (edited)

On 9/25/2018 at 5:21 PM, riverrunner said:

You should try my Allegheny in the worst of times, seriously. 

I have seen our low head dams literally disappear under water in some of the worst rains, these are 15ft low head dams completely under water, but that isn't even the worst stuff. Remember the Allegheny is a tributary of the Ohio and Mississippi, this is big water with massive amounts of water volume and deceptively powerful currents.

And that massive amount of shear water volume of a bigger river is nothing to underestimate, even on a good day. We do get some very wide swings in water levels too, sometimes as much as 10ft in 24hrs, sometimes it doesn't stop at 10ft.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Crazy conditions this summer on the big waters... have pushed me to the creeks chasing trouts mainly. Only done a little bit of bassing and maybe one morning chasing skis this year... It’s been some great trout fishing this summer though... I am thankful for that! :th:

On 9/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

Where is the towel!:(

I feel like you have skipped the good portion of the summer due to conditions effecting the river.

With all due respect, sometimes you have to adjust if you truly want to fish. Sometimes it requires new aproaches to the same species, sometimes it means learning how to target new species, but there is always fish to be caught, new ways to catch them, new challenges to face inorder to get on top of fish, it is what makes fishing fun, exciting, addictive, etc...

I am predominantly shore bound (except for the times I get out with the kayak) so I have a fraction of the ability to reach fish compared to a boat angler such as yourself, but regardless of the conditions I still go out and work with what I have to put myself on fish despite whether the river is up 2ft, 5ft, or more and grind out bites or skunks in an attempt to get bites. I don't have the extreme flexibility that a boat provides when working locations, you do have that tool. I am not saying catching fish off a boat is easy, but working and grinding out patterns and locations in spite of conditions is easier from a boat, use your tools. Again, I say this with all due respect.

Time not spent fishing is time you will never get back to fish with.

Shut up....until you fish this river. You and your adaptability. Ya a rattle trap will work. Your river does not do what this one does. This year was bizarre and sucked. 

2 hours ago, riverrunner said:

Shut up....until you fish this river. You and your adaptability. Ya a rattle trap will work. Your river does not do what this one does. This year was bizarre and sucked. 

I have been through my share of bizarre years that have looked just like the yo-yo you described.

But, have it your way.:dismay: