riverrunner

SUSQUEHANNA 2017-2018

816 posts in this topic

Ha ha... yeah, those fishies must have been lost :-)

That carp was awesome... we usually snag them accidentally, but I'm sure you see the same thing, from time to time they do bite. It had me thinking musky for a while.

Dad's been on a tear lately with the skis.

Great pics guys!  Nice muskies and I agree the carp is awesome, they sure do fight!  Caught most of the ones on jigs / darts but I think the biggest one was on a rebel jerk bait. :)

Hey, y'all, I was just curious what water temperature you start to see the schooling behavior you have been talking about. Does it start in the mid 40's, lower 40's or lower still? Does water temperature kick off this behavior or day length?

Nice winter fish TJ,  that is a pretty bugle mouth bass!! looks like it ate a craw jig too. right on!!

i love when the 'skis have spots like those. wish i had time to get out on the river...some day...

:th: TJ!

As most of you know, the Fish Commission is considering relaxing the current bass restrictions to allow catch-and-release year round. Most of the responsible anglers I know are not in favor of this change as it would allow anglers to target bass during the spawn which could negatively impact future generations. The Fish Commission is eager to hear feedback from anglers and have extended the regular comment period from 30 to 60 days. They've provided an easy to use form on their website to leave your feedback.

http://pfbc.pa.gov/regcomments/

Hey thanks gents... those craw jigs do catch a multitude of fish especially this time of the year. Brian you will get there soon! You have 2 little ones now right?

Wheeler, thanks for the link! I clicked and sent them some feedback.

Posted (edited)

Guess what, had some time yesterday after work, and I love it when a plan comes together?!?!  Not a slob by any means but it is my first February smallie and a nice, healthy fish!!  Slow and slower really worked for that one and I truly appreciate all of the winter help I received on this board; especially RR, SW, TJ, and Wheeler!  :howdy:

I don't claim to have even anything figured out but I am moving in the right direction.

post-1319-0-79786800-1486470031.jpg

Edited by mdeppen

Hey, y'all, I was just curious what water temperature you start to see the schooling behavior you have been talking about. Does it start in the mid 40's, lower 40's or lower still? Does water temperature kick off this behavior or day length?

It's a trope.....a long time belief repeated over and over again.

No doubt fish in these "two particular" areas will school up, that's what they do because that area is readily available for them.

There will be fish in these areas far flung from those places.

To para phrase from previous posts "80 to 90 percent of smallies from York Haven to the south and Halifax to the north and beyond gather there"..........complete nonsense.  :laugh:

Posted (edited)

:th: TJ!

As most of you know, the Fish Commission is considering relaxing the current bass restrictions to allow catch-and-release year round. Most of the responsible anglers I know are not in favor of this change as it would allow anglers to target bass during the spawn which could negatively impact future generations. The Fish Commission is eager to hear feedback from anglers and have extended the regular comment period from 30 to 60 days. They've provided an easy to use form on their website to leave your feedback.

http://pfbc.pa.gov/regcomments/

Maybe in the future....a thing for discussion.

We just came back, lotta nice little healhy fish, lotta biggins.

COULD WE JUST TAKE A TIME OUT !!!!!!

Let me guess where this is coming from ?  :dismay:

Tournament guys and guides.....been there done that.

We really need to impress on the Commission that there priority should be every environmental concern they have uncovered and finding solutions.

MONEY MONEY MONEY $$$$$$$$ find the funds.

Why take a step forward then two steps back......per opening the season. :banghd:  

Edited by riverrunner

Guess what, had some time yesterday after work, and I love it when a plan comes together?!?!  Not a slob by any means but it is my first February smallie and a nice, healthy fish!!  Slow and slower really worked for that one and I truly appreciate all of the winter help I received on this board; especially RR, SW, TJ, and Wheeler!  :howdy:

I don't claim to have even anything figured out but I am moving in the right direction.

attachicon.gifSmallie2 020617.jpg

Md..................glad it worked. As said before this is the hardest time.

It's about to end though....wooot woot woooot.  :laugh:

Posted (edited)

Nice fish TJ. Wow you and your dad are catching some skis.  I've been working a lot lately and laying low fishing wise but it's killing me.  Jan and Feb can be great months for river muskies. I fish so much April-Dec I try to give Mrs. D a break and put the rods down for a while. Keep the pics coming. 

Edited by Mike D

Here are some from the past couple weeks on the rivers... mainly jigs low and slow. Bite has been slowing down now though with lower water and colder temps. We need another rain!

That's it, I'm buying a house on the Susquehanna.

Posted (edited)

attachicon.gifSmallie2 020617.jpg

Catching even just one fish is always going in the right direction this time of the year, especially when considering how tough it can be to catch anything, good fish!

Edited by Pylodictis

That carp was awesome... we usually snag them accidentally, but I'm sure you see the same thing, from time to time they do bite

I snagged about a 15 lb carp 1 day fishing with a Rat L Trap across his back. He must have ripped 30 yards of line off my spool before I made some ground back