riverrunner

SUSQUEHANNA 2017-2018

740 posts in this topic

At today's PFBC Annual Meeting to discuss removing the No Bass Fishing Regs from May 1 to mid June. only 9 Bass anglers showed.

Today the PFBC (Jeff Smith) presented with a 20 year view of the bass population. Listed reasons for lifting the Moratorium in 2018 and outlined a tracking plan along with dividing the section into 3 target/screening sections.

1. Lower Juniata

2. Middle Susquehanna

3. Lower Susquehanna.

After hearing input from us (John Q Public) and the reports from the presenter. The PFBC Commissioners voted in favor of "Opening the proposed changes to the public". The normal period for public option is generally 30 days and it was agreed that 60 days were being issued.

Any changes to the existing fishing regulations would NOT take place any sooner than 2018.

The vote of yes today by the commission was to open the issue to the public, a vote of no would have closed the issue for at least 24 more months.

Nothing has been decided regarding 2018 yet, but the momentum now seems to be heading toward lifting the ban

Posted (edited)

That is good to know we will have a chance to voice our opinions... personally I'm in favor of the current regs.

Funny they say only 9 bass anglers attended, lol... I wonder why? maybe we are a work, or taking care of kids/family etc. I barely have time to fish, let alone attend meetings. Thanks goodness for the internet lol.

Edited by TJones

Had a fun time w/ some bronze bombers... chewing on jigs, and were fighting pretty hard for this time of the year! good times :-)

attachicon.gifbass 19.5.jpg

attachicon.gifbass fat 18 er.jpg

It's too cold to fish.....they don't bite.  :laugh:

Glad you got out TJ, takes a lot to get motivated to go when it's cold

All OK on the home front ? Give my best to your better half. :howdy:   

Great fish guys!

If you'll indulge me for a moment, I'd like to tell a quick story from this past week. I call it "Pop Pop's Tackle Box".

One of my good friends from high-school had a grandfather that everyone called Pop-Pop. He was a life long Susquehanna River-Rat who's love for fishing was only equaled by his love for duck hunting. Pop-Pop was like a legend to me. A colorful character with a Miller Lite in his hand and a story for every occasion. Wherever he went, people always seemed to gather to hear him spin a yarn. 

My favorite Pop-Pop stories involved big fish, epic hunts, good friends, and lots of beer. Most of them also involved losing track of time, and typically ended (not surprisingly) with an angry wife. The thing about Pop-Pop was, as long as I knew him, and as many stories as I heard, I never knew whether he was telling truth or full of ****, and the best part was, I really didn't care. That was what made his stories so great. He often took us to his "river shanty" that he built himself on the banks of West Fairview. The land was owned by the railroad, but he claimed he had "squatters rights" and said he was allowed to be there for 99 years from the time it was built. Who the hell knows if was telling the truth?

Anyway, Pop-Pop passed away several years ago and recently his wife was forced to move from their home of 40+ years. My friend informed me that there was going to be an estate sale. She knew that I loved talking fishing with him and thought I might be interested in some of his old equipment. Pop-Pop grew up in the depression era and could squeeze 6 pennies from a nickel, so I knew not to expect high quality gear, There were 4 rods hanging from the rafters. Two heavier rods probably used for catfish/muskie and two lighter rods probably used for bass/panfish. All were Zebcos with miscellaneous, badly scratched reels, and rod-tips that had probably been replaced 5 times each. To be honest, I didn't have much interest, but I seriously contemplated buying one just for sentimental value. That was before I saw "IT".

"IT" was Pop-Pop's tackle box and I knew at once that I had to have it. Inside that box held the truth behind all of those big fish stories I had heard so many times over the years. What was he really using to catch these fish (his answer seemed to change every time). What were Pop-Pop's go-to lures? What other secrets did this tackle box hold? The price tag said $50, but I would have gladly paid double. I took it home with great anticipation and carefully cleaned and inventoried its contents. Crazy looking top-water lures with propellers, poppers, in-line spinners, crank baits, plastics, jigs, hooks, sinkers, it had it all, and I couldn't have been more pleased with my purchase. 

Cabin fever has definitely set in for me and I'm sitting here today cursing the cold weather and staring longingly at my boat in the driveway all wrapped up and stowed for the winter. But thanks to Pop-Pop, I also have something to look forward to this spring. I anxiously await the opportunity to try out each and every one of the treasures of his tackle box. I look forward to tossing the lures, cranking the crank-baits, reeling the spinners, and jigging the plastics. I look forward to finding out what works and what doesn't. And most of all, I look forward to lifting a cold one in Pop-Pop's honor as I continue to make memories of my own on OUR Great River.

Here's to a great 2017! Tight lines all.

Very cool Wheeler.

The box looks a lot like some I inherited in the past.  :th:

At today's PFBC Annual Meeting to discuss removing the No Bass Fishing Regs from May 1 to mid June. only 9 Bass anglers showed.

Today the PFBC (Jeff Smith) presented with a 20 year view of the bass population. Listed reasons for lifting the Moratorium in 2018 and outlined a tracking plan along with dividing the section into 3 target/screening sections.

1. Lower Juniata

2. Middle Susquehanna

3. Lower Susquehanna.

After hearing input from us (John Q Public) and the reports from the presenter. The PFBC Commissioners voted in favor of "Opening the proposed changes to the public". The normal period for public option is generally 30 days and it was agreed that 60 days were being issued.

Any changes to the existing fishing regulations would NOT take place any sooner than 2018.

The vote of yes today by the commission was to open the issue to the public, a vote of no would have closed the issue for at least 24 more months.

Nothing has been decided regarding 2018 yet, but the momentum now seems to be heading toward lifting the ban

Thanks for the update. :howdy:  

That is good to know we will have a chance to voice our opinions... personally I'm in favor of the current regs.

Funny they say only 9 bass anglers attended, lol... I wonder why? maybe we are a work, or taking care of kids/family etc. I barely have time to fish, let alone attend meetings. Thanks goodness for the internet lol.

Most people don't have time to deal with the preliminaries.

The next part will be where "the rubber meets the road". 

I posted this in the Tavern fishing thread, might as well post it here too.

PSA......preparedness.

G-kids were playing in my boat accidentally broke my pedestal compass.  

Foggy, really foggy !!!! It usually lifts. Went out at 12 buzzed up the east shore a mile up river still able to see a bit.

Now I want to cross to the west shore, warmer water. Pick an island as landmark proceed, get to island can barely see west shore, putter across.

Fished down for about 4 hours. Fuq, this s hite is horrible, it's getting late. Off the shore line you can't see more than 10 yards at best.

Worst case scenario if I can't cross, follow shore line up river to dock on west shore, call sonnny boy, he laughs and makes a d ick out of me, picks up my trailer and "rescues"  me.   :eek:

First attempt across thought I was going in a straight line, ended up on the same shore a quarter mile up river.  :wee:

Plan B, follow shore line down  a mile to rapids you can hear, stay on top cross.

Very disorienting for simple lack of a compass. 

Inside of that box bought back memories when I was a kid fishing. From the Jitterbugs to the Trilene 

Yup.  Lower right, top shelf, looks like a Zebco De-Liar scale/tape measure there too.  Had one back in the day.

I posted this in the Tavern fishing thread, might as well post it here too.

PSA......preparedness.

G-kids were playing in my boat accidentally broke my pedestal compass.  

Foggy, really foggy !!!! It usually lifts. Went out at 12 buzzed up the east shore a mile up river still able to see a bit.

Now I want to cross to the west shore, warmer water. Pick an island as landmark proceed, get to island can barely see west shore, putter across.

Fished down for about 4 hours. Fuq, this s hite is horrible, it's getting late. Off the shore line you can't see more than 10 yards at best.

Worst case scenario if I can't cross, follow shore line up river to dock on west shore, call sonnny boy, he laughs and makes a d ick out of me, picks up my trailer and "rescues"  me.   :eek:

First attempt across thought I was going in a straight line, ended up on the same shore a quarter mile up river.  :wee:

Plan B, follow shore line down  a mile to rapids you can hear, stay on top cross.

Very disorienting for simple lack of a compass. 

Holy smokes... Sounds like a bit of a scary situation there RR! Glad you found your way back... Fortunately I don't really have to worry about that kind of thing with two feet on dry land, lol... Could get scary if you are wading though and loose your bearings like that in the fog! Compass is always a good thing for sure.

It's too cold to fish.....they don't bite.  :laugh:

Glad you got out TJ, takes a lot to get motivated to go when it's cold

All OK on the home front ? Give my best to your better half. :howdy:   

Things are going well now fortunately... Thanks for asking. We all started out the year with the stomach bug that's been going around, and man that put a damper on things, lol

Then the darned Steelers had to lay a freakin egg in New England! lol Oh well, but thankfully the fish are still there in our river... Excited for this year!

Glad you had gotten a chance to get out TJ, great fish, thanks for posting!

I would like your (or anyone else who might input) opinion or assistance on the ability to find river fish wading during the winter months.  I fish quite a bit during the winter months but normally I migrate to trout streams as I can't figure the river situation out.  Each year my bite just shuts down in the fall and its pretty frustrating.  Here are my questions:

1. I heard the fish are schooled up and you need to find them, but when you do, you can catch a few, correct

2. Do you fish mostly jigs or methods centered around the bottom

3. Are you looking for low current / slow moving water and deeper pools (is there a certain depth that you're looking for)

4. Are the fish located in similar areas as normal conditions and do pools / locations usually contain winter fish each year

5. How about areas where tributaries enter the river, do you frequently target those

Thanks in advance guys, you all have so much knowledge and I would like to learn more about items that I just can't seem to figure out!!  :help::lost:

Posted (edited)

Glad you had gotten a chance to get out TJ, great fish, thanks for posting!

I would like your (or anyone else who might input) opinion or assistance on the ability to find river fish wading during the winter months.  I fish quite a bit during the winter months but normally I migrate to trout streams as I can't figure the river situation out.  Each year my bite just shuts down in the fall and its pretty frustrating.  Here are my questions:

1. I heard the fish are schooled up and you need to find them, but when you do, you can catch a few, correct

2. Do you fish mostly jigs or methods centered around the bottom

3. Are you looking for low current / slow moving water and deeper pools (is there a certain depth that you're looking for)

4. Are the fish located in similar areas as normal conditions and do pools / locations usually contain winter fish each year

5. How about areas where tributaries enter the river, do you frequently target those

Thanks in advance guys, you all have so much knowledge and I would like to learn more about items that I just can't seem to figure out!!  :help::lost:

#1 No....Not schooled up yet

#2 Yes.....slow and then slower. I lot of times the bite is imperceptible. Other things will work but a jig is primary.

#3 Yes..Depth is relative to river height at the time. A favorite place at a reading of 3.5 won't be the same as one when the river is 6.5. Fish the edges of current breaks and eddys

#4 Yes....that trope about winter fish on this river in the deeper pools is just that a trope

#5 Yes......warmer water is always a key this time of year and you get that from the tribs. 

Edited by riverrunner

Thanks for the input RR, I greatly appreciate it! You're the man!!!

I think I'm close but I need to heed the "slow, and then slower" recommendation! Also, the depth of the river is always relative and I appreciate you bringing that up.

Thanks again, I'll keep at it and I will never stop learning new methods.

MD.....just a side note. 

Other than that brief period after the spawn when the river seems like the dead sea this is the absolute hardest time to catch smallies.

When the river has that green "glacial" look to it from ice melt it's really tough.

Then again persistence pays off because they are usually "biggins".