riverrunner

SUSQUEHANNA 2017-2018

871 posts in this topic

Sounds like the Hudson River up here......... :laugh:

I really hope what you said about deregulation of safe guards protecting us from pollution are not repealed.

The 3 rivers area is still recovering from the days of heavy industry. The river has come to life since then, but it wouldn't take much to wipe out the vibrant fishery.

i ****ing love smallies. 

especially when they are looking up. 

i would probably need a week's notice at least Tucker. but if i can, i will for sure. 

i assume "his" fish spawn in early-mid april?

i ******* love smallies. 

especially when they are looking up. 

i would probably need a week's notice at least Tucker. but if i can, i will for sure. 

i assume "his" fish spawn in early-mid april?

No idea...but remind me, if I ever catch a smallmouth with the mask on it like the one it that picture to kiss it on the head :)

TimS

Financial cuts? How would they negatively affect the fishing in the river? :squid:

Surely you jest.  :shock:

Look at  the Chesapeake Bay Foundation or any Susky river association that is involved in trying to make and keep progress going to combat the identified perils.

S hite falls down hill or in this case down stream. A lot of the programs already implemented depend on federal dollars.

I'm all for a leaner government, but it can't be just slash and burn.

PLEASE.....google is your friend, easy info to find per the perils the water shed faces and the funding to combat it.

THEN contact ANY ONE with political will that may be able to help. 

As far as I know it is not the feds that play a major role in protecting the rivers except for creating laws like the clean water act and clean air and the associated regulations. With few exceptions most all of the heavy lifting is left up to the states and they have they responsibility to carry out the mandates of the fed. That is where the short falls come because the fed has been selective in their enforcement like with State, County, and Municipal sewage treatment and management. The feds are tough on the private sector and easy on the public sector polluters. The overwhelming pollution problems in the Maryland's rivers and the Bay come from County Sewage Treat facilities. Large tracts of land have been reforested, farmers are doing a much better job, riparian areas have been restored, and most private land owners are in compliance and it is the State and County governments that are the major obstacle to greater improvements. That and Local Government sanctioned development in wetlands and estuaries.

The last 8 years the EPA has been more interested in controlling business and private property ownership with new regulations like the Water Control Act that enabled them to control everything and anything from a lakes to a small wetland puddle on your property.

It would be nice if the EPA and the feds actually got back to doing their core mission to keep our rivers and air clean rather than trying to gain control over every aspect of business, human activity/behavior and private property thereby creating a fortune for environmental lawyers. In trying to do everything, they are doing nothing well. Selective enforcement has made it worse. They punish a small landowner, farmer, rancher, or business, and let a big political contributor or another government entity off the hook. Since State and local governments are responsible for most of the enforcement you have a problem.

The major issue is that all government agencies have become political and self-serving and they have strayed long and far from their core missions.

One can only hope that by sliming them down they will reprioritize and refocus on their core missions, but the deep state is fighting it tooth and nail.

That is the problem with Federal Government Mandates that are not funded. They are well intentioned, but that is about it, and makes it even more important to focus on the core mission rather than on every well intention political agenda to please constituency groups like the Greens. The Fed can fine private sector companies and individuals, but the rarely fine state and local governments and they are the ones tasked with most of the enforcement and compliance.

Edited by Jay Blair

Jay imo you couldn't be more spot on with your last post... what you describe about selective enforcement is what I see played out on a daily basis in the industry I'm in.

That might be the best looking smallmouth I have ever seen :clap::th::clap:

We do catch some strange looking ones... especially with those black spots. That fish was by far the craziest looking one I've caught though. Wasn't sure what fit him best.... the smallmouth bandit, or the hamburgler :-)

If the Fed fined the State of PA, NY, NJ, or MD billions of dollars for non-compliance and damages like they did with BP you would see some big changes in a hurry, but it is never going to happen, especially in a blue or purple state.

Maryland passed a bunch of new taxes to fund environmental compliance and spent the money on constituent groups to buy votes instead of cleaning up the environment. Most of it went to government employees and unions.

They did build a few tiny handicapped friendly piers, bike trails for wealthy contributors, and hired more state employees to advise landowners on how to plant trees on their property and that was about it. They don't even help pay for the tiny bare-root saplings. They give you the name of a state sponsored nursery that is usually sold out of trees. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Cleaning up rivers and the Bay?

Never happened!

Edited by Jay Blair

Unfortunately monies that are earmarked for clean up and maintaining the river never gets to it. The state of nj received a settlement for 190 million dollars from Exxon for their share in polluting the Passaic River in NJ . The Governor here settled on that. It was way higher then that. He took the money and transferred it into a state operating fund and the river never say a dollar of that money for clean up.