jjdbike

Haddock, where & when?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just like title says, if you wanted to catch a mess of haddock where would you go & when?

Considering the Bunny Clark as I've fished w/ Capt Tim before & know he catches. But I'm also open for other options.

Thanks!

JD

Eastman's in Seabrook NH in May

Agree! I've also heard good things about the Yankee Fleet in Gloucester, I'm going on an overnight with them in June. Tim runs a good boat and is a great guy, but that's a much longer drive.

Edited by MakoMike

Agree about the drive. I've heard mixed reports about Yankee Fleet. I miss Yankee Capts. Also miss American Classic. Man we caught a lot of fish on those two boats. Gloucester is a cool area & a much easier drive. Ogunqiut & Perkin's Cove is an overpriced tourist trap & hangout for people who have a different lifestyle than myself.

My friends & I have been mugged pretty badly on Eastmens, man we're they railed & tangles galore.

Where Eastmens fishes can the keep any cod in spring? Do they catch any redfish?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

I did a two night trip with Yankee Fleet three years ago later in the year, maybe end of June. Brought home a lot of fish, a mixed bag haddock, cod and pollack. Been out on Eastman's and others out of NH several times and sometimes caught sometimes haven't. Reeling up and releasing dozens of undersized fish puts nothing in the cooler. If I go out this spring it will probably be Eastman's. I expect them to give me as good a chance of catching as anyone and I'm close to Seabrook.

Good to hear a couple good reports on Yankee Fleet.

Spaff, I hear you about dozens of throwbacks. Light tackle sport fishing is one thing, but an epic 4 day round trip w/ 2 longs days of driving, & two long days of ground fishing in unpredictable New England spring weather, I wanna bring home some fillets!

My buds & I fished on the Bunny several times in April a few years back & caught a bunch of nIce cod & big pollack. That was before the cod closure & when there were more larger pollack around. I know the haddock population is strong, but undersize fish are abundant & in

April they haven't had a chance to fatten up.

I know how good of a fisherman Tim is, but I am concerned about the throwback to cooler ratio. On the other hand, redfish are delicious!

Your thoughts?

JD

Hey folks,

Anyone care to discuss rigging, termonal tackle jigs & dressings for April GOM groundfish?

I know it’s not rocket surgery but can make a difference at times.

You preferances & experinces please?

Thanks!

JD

Edited by jjdbike