Aaron111

Whats Stronger Mono Or Braided

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

been asking many about this," most ytube videos show fishermen using braided line: however her in Hawaii they say mono : im going big on mono up to 50 lbs test" catching 30 to 80 lbs tunas" whats best in youre opinion 

Personally, after having used braid for so long, mono feels like a rubber band by comparison. Braid's zero stretch makes it superior for hook setting. That said, I use pretty long leaders in the boat, usually around 6 feet. From shore I'm using 8 feet or so. As TLap said, the abrasion resistance is superior to braid, and it gives you a little shock absorption during hook sets, head shakes, jumps, etc.

Personally, after having used braid for so long, mono feels like a rubber band by comparison. Braid's zero stretch makes it superior for hook setting. That said, I use pretty long leaders in the boat, usually around 6 feet. From shore I'm using 8 feet or so. As TLap said, the abrasion resistance is superior to braid, and it gives you a little shock absorption during hook sets, head shakes, jumps, etc.

Long leaders??  wow im that new to fishing: pls show image or explain? thx 

been asking many about this," most ytube videos show fishermen using braided line: however her in Hawaii they say mono : im going big on mono up to 50 lbs test" catching 30 to 80 lbs tunas" whats best in youre opinion 

What's heavier 50 pounds of Lead or 50 pounds of feathers?

Long Leaders:

Shore based for my own use (conditions are not the same as the US and we need to cast far to reach fish)

Braid Mainline of anything from #15 to #50 Actual BS (50lb braid is very often not 50lb....)

FG knot to 4-7m (depending on rod length) of either:

1. Braid: Light #30 FG'd to #15-#25; medium #50 FG'd to #30; heavy tackle: #150 FG'd to #50 (bait and wait sharks mostly)

2. Mono: 0.40mm for light stuff, 0.55mm for medium work off the rocks 0.80mm for really nasty structure

Above for spinning reels

Silliest thread of the year here!  (among many competing...  :)

Whichever line--  of whatever type--  rates higher lb.- test wise...   Simple?

Braided PE is stronger in terms of break strength than the same diameter of nylon mono or fluoro.

Yes, if the test is made with  constant load .Put them on shock  and braid will fall on a much smaller load then mono line ...........

If I had to choose only between mono and braid to fish with. Mono has done it for a long time and will continue to do so. Shock absorbtion, visibility, abrasion resistance. The only reason to fish with braid for me is for the benefits of deep water situations where smaller diameter allows you to use less weight and have less blowback from the current as well as the non stretch for sensitivity. 

Long leaders??  wow im that new to fishing: pls show image or explain? thx 

A leader is just a section of line that you tie onto your mainline.

Using a leader allows you to use a thinner mainline (whether braid, mono, or fluoro), which is better for distance and sink rate. A thin mainline is however vulnerable to break offs (e.g., the fish's gill plates or teeth may cut it) and snap offs (e.g., from casting a few ounces of weight), it may cut you when you grab it to handle a fish you just caught, or  be seen by a leader-shy fish (e.g., false albacore)).  Solution:  tie a few feet of another section of line to the end of your thin mainline.  For instance, you might want to connect a mono/fluoro leader to a braid mainline to provide abrasion resistance (flouro/mono is more abrasion resistant than braid) or to give you something to hold onto when you're leadering a fish (less likely to get cut if you grab mono/fluoro than braid).  If you're casting a few ounces you would also use a shock leader to avoid snap offs.  Finally, you can use a mono/fluoro leader on a braid line if you're targeting leader-shy fish, because mono and fluoro will be less visible than braid (fluoro is less visible than mono, so even if your main line is mono you might want to use a fluoro leader). The length of the leader will vary according to the purpose of the leader.