Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishB

New Rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I just purchased a new All Star rod to match with my Abu Garcia 6500. The rod is 6'8" and has medium/heavy action, but I am not exactly sure about the actual model. I was just wondering your opinions as to whether or not this combination could handle a descent sized striper or should I go for heavier equipment.

Thanks

B,

We need more info.

I'm guessin you are going to be fishin from boat with the combo you have. Is that a correct guess?

Tell us where you will be usin the rig, bait and or lures ect......

6' 8" sounds a little short for beach and jetty applications. Med/Heavy rating sounds a little stiff, if you know the line and lure ratings for the rod that would give people a better idea of what you have.

If your boat fishing the rod you described sounds fine, and you should have no problems landing a decent bass with that set up.

For surf, I go at least 8' 6" for plugging and anything to do with rocks I'm using 9' or better.biggrin.gif

Hope this helps!!!

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Fishb,

I landed a 34" striper last spring during C & R on a similar length rod...except mine was a Med, 6 - 10 lb, set up with 14 lb. fireline.

I also assume that you are fishing off a boat. Although I use a 7 footer for Indian River jetty...cause I don't have a 9 footer!

Ladyfish

Dianne

Should be just fine...

I just looked at All Star's catalog, and couldn't find any 6'8" models--either finished rods or blanks. Is this a factory rod or custom?

Graphite, glass or composite, if you know?

Need to know a little more, then I'll take a gander at the specs.

FishB--I figure it has to be one of these two models:

ZR 806C-IM10X Spinnerbait-2 6'8 1 3/8-3/4 10-20 Fast Med-Hvy B,D,E,O,S 109.95

807C-IM10X Mag Worm-2 6'8 1 3/8-1 12-25 Ex-Fast Heavy B,D,E,G,N,S 109.9

Only 2 6'8" rods I saw in the IM10X line.

If it's the top one with the 3/8 to 3/4 rating, I think I'd beef up a bit if I was going to tangle with 20# and up fish.

It should work. Many of the boaters down this way use heavier FW bass rods for casting plugs. Plus, at least with respect to the surf rods (Elite graphite series blanks) I have, All Star seems to underrate their casting capability.

What a lot of boaters up this way are using, for eels and jigging for bigger stripers, are muskie rods.