Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beachboy

Gramps

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Gramps is my wife's 96 year old grandfather. Me and him have been buds since the first day I met him. He always had control of the remote control no matter where he was and it was either sports, cowboy movie, or cnn.

He's an old school Italian. Hard worker his whole life. He started out as a boxing trainer, then when he had a family picked up a job at a factory making files, met some guys there who got him into politics(probably because of his boxing skills). When he retired if you want to call it that he started working for the phillies at age 65... he worked for them until 2 years ago... his house was full of phillies cups, napkins, sugars, plates, etc... he used to bring a box home after every game... his nickname is wally and back in the 80's or 90's the phils actually had a wally box day giveaway down at the vet filled with cups, napkins, sugars, etc...

I became tight with gramps. He didn't just talk and tell you stories, but if you were in the right situation you could get them out of him. The guys he met thru his life whether at the boxing hall, or the pool hall below were amazing. His mind as far as sports went was second to no one. About 4 years ago he kicked my butt in pool. I consider myself pretty good, but he destroyed me... I then find out from my father in law that gramps got to meet and play with many of the greats at the pool hall that was under the boxing gym.

One of my favorite stories he told me was about the tattoo he has of a girl rose on his arm... he told me he never knew a girl named rose, but that after work on market street they used to get tattoos for 50 cents, and he had a few drinks... his wife wasn't to happy about it since her name was lucy.... hammer-time.gif

All the holiday dinners I placed myself next to him. Whenever dinner was ready and everyone had to go to the table, me and him would still hang watching TV, and BSing. They(his grand children, my wife being one) would come out to make him up a plate. He would put in his order, and then say tommy what do you want them to get you biggrin.gif then beers, desert, coffee all the same way cool.gif my wife loved it hahaha rolleyes.gif

This last year for gramps has been a tough one, he's been in and out of the hospital because of congestive heart failure. After each time he has to go to rehab, which means he's away from the family and he doesn't like it, and has no problem letting you know biggrin.gif . In this last year his mind has started to slip up on him somewhat too. He forgets names, etc... a couple weeks ago he said to me "tommy whats's your wife's name" her jaw dropped and yes I do bust my wife's chops about that all the time!! The bad part about that is that now if I don't make it down to the shore for a few weeks he give me the where have you been treatment...

I've never had anyone in my family live that long, and be as healthy as he's been. Up until this year he was a tank, he was still driving 2 years ago. He's not even completely grey haired... he smoked for a while back in the day, he'll still have a drink, and he eats whatever he wants. He will tell you the secret is don't smoke, drink a little, and never stop working....

we got the phone call yesterday AM that the DNR order was put in on him. His oxygen levels went way down and he had passed out. His intestine had kinked up and gangrene had formed. Most of us went down to the hospital because we all thought that was it. He had a 50-50 chance making it thru the surgery, but the doc said it didn't look good... well gramps made it thru it. He's still in CCU and who knows how many more days/hours he has. I guess my father in law could have let him die from the gangrene in his intestine, but living 96 years and dieing from that just didn't sound right.

So this is a reminder to anyone out there who doesn't spend enough time with their parents or grand parents. They do have a time limit, and when they are gone they are gone. I'm glad and thankful for the time I've had with gramps, and any time I still will have with gramps!

Hope that he makes it through......

It reminded me of my grandad, who used to tell me stories since i was knee high to a grasshopper. Not long before he died, we were sitting at the kitchen table telling me about working the drag line bringing in pine stumps (heartpine) to use for kindling. In the middle of the story, he looks at me kind of funny and asked if he had told that story to me before, and I said many times. He asked me why didn't I stop him then, to which I responded, because I love to hear you tell me those stories....God, I miss that man....

Both my grandfathers lived to be over 90 year old and I used to love to just listen - them old guys have seen some stuff! icon14.gif Stories of working 12 hours days, 6 days a week digging clams for twenty five cents a week icon25.gif Fighting in WWI and then sending your sons to fight WWII...and to see their sons fight in Vietnam. What a treasure these old survivors are to our world, I'm with you 100%...everyone should go see grampa and grandma if they can...bring them their grandchildren, too HappyWave.gif

TimS

gramps just passed away. amazing how much a person can change in a hospital over 2 weeks. i'm sad that he's gone and that my daughter won't get a chance to know him, but i know that it was the best thing for him.

should probably put this part in the ghosts post..., but the day before the train wreck in california he told my father in law all about it cwm13.gif and he also told him about a fire in a school or something and then that happened the next day cwm13.gif weird stuff....

anyway icon14.gif gramps, and make sure if you have older parents and/or grandparents that you go see them and spend time with them.

My condolances to you and your family Beachboy. God bless his soul and may Gramps rest in peace.

Thank you for sharing those kind words as well.

By best wishes to you and your wife and the family. I'm sorry I missed this thread when it was started.

Gramps sounds like a great person and wonderful influence on you. No doubt St. Peter has his hands full right about now, but heaven will be a better place with him there.