Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nessmuk

Spinning Reels VS Casting

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

After hearing all the positive buzz last year about the Abu 6500 Mag E I decided to pick one up. It's my first non-spinner ever, and I'm getting pretty attached to the thing. In fact, while fishing today the spinners never even saw daylight.

So I'm finding myself wondering when a spinner would be more functional than this little green machine. Amazingly, I'm having a little difficulty figuring that out. Me. A lifetime spinning reel junkie.

What's the feeling amongst those of you who alternate? For what applications do you prefer one over the other?

Dan

Dan,

As your probably finding out, the control and sensitivity of the conventional is unchallenged but I do alternate. I like to use the Mag Elite when I'm eeling, and jig fishing because of the added control.

I'll use the spinning tackle for flinging light plugs in the surf, light plugs don't cast well on the conventional rods, and when I'm really going for distance I'll break out the big spinner. This is good for heaving bottle plugs and large jigs when you really have to get out there.

Welcome to the conventional club, I'm sure you gonna love fighting the unicorns on that set up as well, let me know how you make out. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I started using conventional reels last year and love the feel of them. I think the only time I picked the spinning outfit was when the wind was really blowing in my face. I know that I should use the spinning outfit for the lighter plugs, but I just had a bit of patience and threw the 5/8 oz anyway. I think that it all depends on what you are comfortable with and enjoy using.

Very light tackle for schoolie fishing is better in spinners I think. 1/2 OZ is a lightle light for the conventionals I have. I use my spinner from now till May then again in the fall I have it with me on the beach for when the schoolies come by.

DanW,

Two things give me trouble when fishing a conventional. Wind in my face, and, believe it or not, darkness. Seperately, I can compensate for each (except for extrememly strong wind), but together, they make fishing a conventional tough for me. In those cases, wind in the face at night, are about the only times I switch to a spinner.

John B

I use conventional tackle about 50 % of the time. IMHO, light conventional is a good choice when you need to get a metal or other aerodynamic lure out a good distance. It saved me a few times last season when the fish were just outside of spinning range. When throwing Finnish Swimmers or other wind resistant plugs, a spinner is probably the better choice. At night, when the fish tend to be in close, I almost always use spinning gear.

Hmmm....once again, I find myself in the minority...I'm gonna get a complex soon! redface.gif

I can throw a bomber further on my 108-20C and Mag combo than I can on any spinner I own. I can do it a light to moderate wind with the conventional better than the spinner. I mainly will only use a spinning outfit from the sand, there are different rules from the sand than on the rocks. From the rocks, I want control...from the sand, I want a forgiving rod.

Saltheart is right, when it comes to small stuff...under 1/2 oz...I'd prefer a spinner...but I don't throw anything that small except jigs....and whenever I'm jigging, I use the conventional! If I'm using very light plugs, say 1/2 or less, I'll go with the spinner...as long as I'm not on the rocks. Confusing....I know. It also depends on the expected size of the critters...little fish are just more fun on the spinner...but then, conditions permitting, the fly rod is often a better tool.

Very general....rocks=conventional

sand=spinner big fish=conventional smaller fish=spinner very light stuff=spinner

Geesh, now I'm thinkin' about the rods action, the effect of the braid, a stiff rod, and treble hooks...I need an aspirin!!!!

TimS

Dan,

I too found myself in this position a couple years ago. It takes a little...ok a LOT of getting used to. Only last year did I start getting some distance but add a little wind and it's over.

Get out and practice practice practice...eventually you will see a difference! (Also gives you an excuse to fish wink.gifwink.gif

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

I have nothing to add to this topic as someone who just got their first conventional and hasn't wet a ine with it yet but I do have a question. Does anyone sleep around here? Four replys from 12:30 to 1:00 AM? This is why it's the best site on the net. There's a bunch of lunatics who would rather talk fishing than get the sleep we should be getting smile.gif. You guys are great!

A few yrs ago I started to throw everything with conventional reels. Mainly Abu 6500's. This year I went out and got a light spinning outfit for the light stuff 1/2 oz and 3/4. I really had a hard time getting these small jigs and plugs out there but after Friday's West Wall trip I'm a happy camper. My new Loomis 108-20 Spinning rod wrapped by Mike T. with a Stradic 4000 threw a 1/2 oz. rattletrap farther than I've ever thrown one before. It also put a 4" rubber shad with 3/8 oz. jighead out about the same distance. I'm sold on Spinning outfits for the lighter stuff. I'll take Salthearts path and use this till the bigger bass move in.

John made a point about using the conventional at night. I am much better with at night because I concentrate more on the spool and the feel of the cast. During the day I have a tendecy to see how far it will go and concentrate less on the spool. A lack of discipline on my part. Maybe I am just tired from being up all night. Could be I guess.

wow! nice posts ! , me i love a small 5500c abu i use with 17 lb line for river schoolies up here , i also use a penn reel and mitchell

conventional as well as an old ocean city built tru temper!, the only time i have a prob is when i start shukkin light 6 inch rebels and rapalas , just cant get them out there as far as i can without resorting to adding a weight to it, as far as the conventionals go i love them lots!

One last point, as I discussed with dan last night in the chat room. As far as I know, there is no completely waterproof conventional, as is the case with the VS and the Neptune. And while you can pretty much make some spinners sand-resistant by drilling the rotor cup (eg, the VS, Penn Z's, Cracks and Mitchells), it can wreak havoc on a conventional. One application when I almost always use a spinning reel is when I have an on-shore wind and a decent surf, where sand laden waves can deposit the gritty stuff on the reel. Or for deep wading ala Montauk, where the reel takes a soaking while you're standing waist deep.

Small plugs go best with spinning, but so do larger ones once a teaser's in front. Since I usually do have a teaser in front of larger Bombers and such, I prefer a spinning rod for these payloads. Higher density plugs - superstrikes & metal lipped swimmers, rigged eels & jigs - are more fun on conventional reels. And I do fish bait, too. The clicker on a conventional is better for fishfinders, and your thumb can carry more load during the cast than the drag on a spinning reel.

Thanks guys. All good points. I've already experienced some minor wind problems on the conventional but really need to experiment with lighter tackle. Ditch, the water issue is a good one and something I hadn't thought of. Sand or even just a load of water in the Abu can't help casting distance. Seems like the spinners would be more tolerant of the sand and surf. As for bait...I didn't have the clicker installed due to the problem with voiding the warranty. Clearly, I need another reel to remedy this shortcoming in my gear. How about that BG6500, eh?

And my spinners were afraid they'd end up in the land of Misfit Toys...Naw.

Dan