allen sklar

Random Image Thread 2017

Rate this topic

781 posts in this topic

All these fish are so fat I assume with eggs.   Trying to understand their spawning habits is fascinating.  They spawn in the fall, drop their eggs at the mouths of estuaries and inlets etc.  Their eggs are just the correct specific gravity that with each successful tide they work their way up to the marshes.  Incoming tide is saltier and more dense so they suspend and follow the tide.   Outgoing is more fresh and less dense so they sink where tidal action is minimal.  Wonder if best bite is after they spawn and maybe yet to come. Wishful thinking maybe.

Hey Mike,  Awesome Possum deserves that swelled head. Mine is still swelled from that Cobia in my Avatar and I am still showing it off.  We can never be too humble.  lol.  Hope you're doing OK

Yes he does Dave.  I wondered myself at the pic of the drum "Awesome Possum" caught and the one WV allen landed,both fat/healthy looking fish. Egg laden makes sense. Want to talk with E about how his fish fought. Have seen a pic or two of that Cobia you caught,awesome fits description here too. I know you  were specifically fishing for Cobia,wan't a bycatch. Must have been thrilled landing it. I'm sure there's a story to go with it, love to hear it next time i see you. Me,i'm managing best i can.  Been out with Erik couple times fishing for bait...and drum,minor success with kingfish,none on drum but was good to get out on the island again.