Astronaut

LL Bean rod and airwave

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I was wondering how the LL Bean surf is? I am relatively new to surf fishing so I don't know the details that well. My concern with the LL Bean rod is its performance.  Can it do its job in the cape cod canal? Also, would you recommend the tsunami airwave or the ll bean surf 10'? Warranty is big for me and I know that LL Bean is renowned for their policies. Thanks!

The LL Bean rod wont stand up but you can return it. Id go with the Airwave, you get a 5 year warranty and I really like the Airwave. I know in Freeport they have St Croix's which would combine two great warranties.

The St. Croix Mojo or TFO are more common in the canal. I don't own either, but feedback on both is positive. I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but this is the advice I would give someone getting into canal fishing.

Living 30 minutes from the ditch, I fish it a lot.  (not very well, but very frequently!)

I bought an LLBean 10' surf rod last year ($90 on sale).  I also own a 10' Airwave Elite ($80 used). 

Both rods are rated for 3-6oz.

The LLB rod is made by Tsunami.  It's the Trophy, but colored in green and (perhaps, according to some fellow SOLrs who chimed in last summer) with better hardware.  (NOTE:  This is the 2016 rod.  I have no idea who makes their rods for the 2017 series.) 

I fished both rods extensively in 2016.  The LLB rod is great at tossing stuff from a little over one oz to *maybe* 3.5 oz in my book.  No way that I could lean into a cast with much more than 3 oz on the end of my line.   Over the course of 2016, I'd say it was 60/40 LLB vs Elite, because the LLB rod was so versatile.   

When I needed more backbone (big plugs, live or rigged eels), I always used the Elite.  I could throw 4 oz easily with that rod.  Was it ideal for SPs or lightly-weighted sluggos? Nope.  But I could still use some of the lighter stuff with it, I just wouldn't suggest using it for a full tide of fishing lighter stuff.

I know that the rap on Trophy rods is that they break.  That's not a concern for me, given the LLB warranty.  If I break it, I can simply return it for a full refund.  (For the record, I've taken more than a few falls on the rocks, both at the ditch and on jetties.  That poor LLB rod was in my hands for most of those falls, so it has seen a lot of abuse and it still works fine.)

HTH

I called LLB today for a couple of things, including "will they have Korker wading boots this year?" and "Who makes your surf rods for the 2017 season?". 

Spoke with Seth (super-savvy guy and very helpful to boot.  He's in the Freeport store and the only guy I speak with when I have fishing gear related questions.) 

Getting back to their surf rods...

He doesn't know much yet about their new (=2017) line of surf rods, but he and his colleagues will be getting their hands on them this week.  We agreed to talk again next week to get his feedback.

As soon as I know more from him I'll LYK.

(I'm thinking of adding a 9' or 8' to the arsenal this year, so I'm keenly interested in hearing what he has to say about the new rods.)

I called LLB today for a couple of things, including "will they have Korker wading boots this year?" and "Who makes your surf rods for the 2017 season?". 

Spoke with Seth (super-savvy guy and very helpful to boot.  He's in the Freeport store and the only guy I speak with when I have fishing gear related questions.) 

Getting back to their surf rods...

He doesn't know much yet about their new (=2017) line of surf rods, but he and his colleagues will be getting their hands on them this week.  We agreed to talk again next week to get his feedback.

As soon as I know more from him I'll LYK.

(I'm thinking of adding a 9' or 8' to the arsenal this year, so I'm keenly interested in hearing what he has to say about the new rods.)

I'm looking for a new surf rod (10.6 ft) and searched through SOL. Good post by you.  By the way, LLB confirmed they are seriously looking to stop the lifetime warranty so adjust your thinking.