Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new to surf fishing. I am interested in buying a tsunami surf rod. The question is which one? I am struggling to choose between the airwave and the airwave elite. The rod will be paired up with a Penn Battle. I honestly don't know the difference between the airwave elite and the airwave. I'd like to prevent my pocket from getting burned so I am leaning towards the normal airwave. However, I have a few concerns with both models.

• What is the difference between the airwave and the airwave elite?
  • Do they have the same warranty?
  • What length and rating would be optimal for places like Plum Island and Cape Cod Canal?
  • Will the Trophy Series work well in the Canal?

If the normal airwave works fine and does the minimum, I'd rather go with the normal model. I have a lower budget. I apologize if this topic has been posted before. Rod selection really is a massive headache. 

homework now will save you money in the end--i was shopping those poles this week---be mindful of the lure wgt specs and the action specs of the rod,more than the length

Yes what lures will you be presenting? I know many prefer a longer, stout rod for the canals throwing larger profile shads on heavy jig heads and sometimes even larger surface plugs.

Posted (edited)

The 11’ M Elite is a sweet rod that can handle most lures. I also have a 9’6” M Elite and would not recommend that one if you are throwing anything over 2 oz or so. I don’t fish the canal though. Not sure if maybe one of the MH rated rods would be better.

Edited by t0phtrt

If your in the Nshore of MA I'd suggest stoping by tomos in Salem (or elsewhere) that carries both. Bring the reel you plan on using and feel both series in different lengths and ratings. What works for others may not be optimal for you. Tsunami in general is pretty liberal with they're warrantees, and FWIW I use an 8'8" elite in calm water with light lures/plugs and love it. I use a heavy rated airwave for tossing bait and a 9' airwave for pretty much everything in between. You need to find the best rod for the type of fishing your planning on doing. With fishing rods there is no one size fits all. If I were you I'd hold both and see if the extra bucks is worth it to you.

Airwave Elite .... it is Elite after all ... as are your desires to enjoy your fishing outings. They also have a achieved a certain price performance leadership brand. Happy New Year!

Im looking at the Elite 1102H. It has 8 guides + tip compared to the 1102H regular Airwave has 5 guides + tip. Also mentioned above the Elite has better guides. The Elite is lighter.

Im looking at putting the slammer 3 or the BG reel on it. Good rod hunting.

i'm looking for a tackle shop that carries the full line around queens,ny--i found some stock at the shop in college point.

I have an 11 foot original airwave original bought the first week they hit the stores. By mistake I bought the 3 to 5 oz model instead of the 1 to 4. After using it for many years I still cant find anything wrong with it. If I was to purchase a new one I would probably go with the eliete to get better guides.

I own five Airwave Elites, one boat spinning, two poppers (H and extra H) and two surf - the 11' 3-5oz and the 9.5' 0.75-3oz. Good rods for the price point with good hardware and high build quality for Asian factory rods.

Right after Matthew passed through, I used the 11' to cast a 4oz GT Ice Cream topwater and nearly cast across Palm Beach Inlet. With a Century or other high-end rod, I probably could have hit the rocks on the south jetty. Then we switched to AVA27s out on the beach and that rod still cast it well, even though it was supposed to be "too light" a load for that stick. For an hour, it was a bluefish every cast or two but nothing bigger than 5 pounds which were less fun on that heavy rod than I would have preferred. On the 9.5', those would have been a blast. 

Posted (edited)

If the normal airwave works fine and does the minimum, I'd rather go with the normal model. I have a lower budget. I apologize if this topic has been posted before. Rod selection really is a massive headache. 

Hi Astronaut.  Welcome to SOL!

I was in the same prediciment as you when starting out and got the 9ft MH standard Airwave, 1 to 3-3/4oz.   (Model # TSAWSS-902MH)

I find it versatile for casting lures/plugs, and fluke rigs/bucktails.

I had a Penn SSV5500 on it but felt it was too heavy for the rod, and was very unbalanced.

I put on a SSV4500 and it feels perfectly weighted and balanced.  

For just starting out, you can't go wrong with it.  You can always upgrade later.

Edited by Jay in the Bay