CjTveit

Mounting Fish Finders

15 posts in this topic

My big X-Mas gift this year was a PiranhaMax 197c. So I'm wondering how to mount it on my yak, I'm only worried that a scupper hole is going to scratch the transducer when landing. How do you mount them?

I originally mounted my xducers inside both hulls with Marine Goop but water temps were always wrong and many times I've questioned the data I was seeing. Although it is a good product, I contributed data related issues to bubbles inherently present within the Goop itself no matter how long the product settles, nor how carefully it is applied. The temp is unrelated to this and just displays the temp inside the yak.

I have since upgraded to the Dragonfly 7 Pro and have it configured as a self-contained, portable system mounted to a xducer boom assembly. The xducer cabling, head unit and waterproof battery are mounted to a 12" Ram extension bracket which then articulates with a RAM transducer arm in the water.

System works well for me with many more pro's than cons. Being able to use it on both yak (or any yak with an extra 1.5" ball) is a huge advantage.

My big X-Mas gift this year was a PiranhaMax 197c. So I'm wondering how to mount it on my yak, I'm only worried that a scupper hole is going to scratch the transducer when landing. How do you mount them?

I think the easiest is over the side or a scupper hole. I personally did the scupper hole because I can remove it easy. It is above the lowest point of the kayak bottom so if it does take on anything upon landing its minimal.

Maybe there should be poll. I believe most of us without specially designed scuppers use an internal "goo" system like the duct seal. There's also a "water bath" method where you glue a cup of some kind inside the hull, mount in the transducer and cover it with water, completely eliminating the bubble issue. I used this successfully for a while where I needed to be able to remove it quickly and easily.

Also, the temperature through the hull seems accurate after a few minutes of adjustment, has anyone ever documented it being off with a handheld thermometer? .

Edited by gellfex

Also, the temperature through the hull seems accurate after a few minutes of adjustment, has anyone ever documented it being off with a handheld thermometer? .

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/580062-duct-seal-is-it-as-good-as-they-say/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Africaster

I have had it both inside and over the side .

Readings are much better over the side but I like to move around and when your moving fast the noise of it splashing along drove me nuts .

The readings were not exact while moving , maybe the bubbles of water , ripples ? Don't know .

But it went back inside buttered on the bottom with Vaseline and packed down with duct seal it was fine

Back to quiet fishing and marking while moving .

As others wrote, use Electricians Duct Seal.  I have used that for years and never had an issue. Much easier than one that goes over the side.  The duct seal is in the electrical dept at Lowes, about $4 for a brick of it.  Use just enough to form a small thin boat around your transducer making sure there are no air bubbles between the seal & your transducer.  Next stick the transducer to the hull, again making certain there are no air bubbles.  Done right it should never move until you want to take it out.  The only thing about this method is that it doesn't measure water temp well.  Temp will be of by a couple degrees.  Good luck!

I use the water bath method, but I used a 3 inch abs pipe with a hole cut in the side for the transducer arm.Than I used a wire tie through end hole of the transducer mount and around the 3' pipe. I used duct seal for a water proof seal to the kayak. To fill I would bring a water bottle with tap water and a cheap turkey baster to fill and empty. Use fresh water to keep the inside of the kayak clean. I made a foam cap but not really needed. I would like to try arm over the side but I do Delaware river trips that has numerous shallow areas.

I tried using the Scotty transducer arm at first, but it's too flimsy for my liking. Ended up using a piece of Styrofoam cutout to the shape of my transducer and just marine gooped it along with the transducer in the hull.  Was worried that the transducer wouldn't work properly inside the hull, but it worked just as good as when it was on the outside.