Livefreeordie

Why you never point a hand drill at your opposite palm

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I've worked in mill shops and also on my own, cutting well over 2 thousand feet of crown, baseboard and chair rail trim without a mishap.  8 years ago I put a 3/16'' drill up thru the fatty part of my left hand/thumb  area, went in about 11/4''. My pointer finger and thumb went numb in an instant and I was more than a little scared :shock:  :shock: . Note to self, next time make sure the starter punch is a bit deeper. I was making a backpack for surf fishing, its still hanging on a nail as I never finished the thing.  It still itches from time to time.

Edited by richie c

did it go thru?

The pilot point of the 7/16 bit just pressed skin down, but the cutting flanges tore the surrounding skin off and twisted it. I was lucky to be able to just cut the flaps off. Last time it took forever to heal, this time I'll be fully healed in another week.

I don't doubt everyone in this forum who has worked in the trades has umpteen stories about job site injuries. I still cringe remembering people being blown off roofs

Decades ago someone in chem lab tried to insert a glass thermometer through the hole of a rubber stopper held in his other palm.  Broken glass through his palm. 

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Fortunately very little harm done. I know better than to do that and I wasn't drinking. LOL

I'll give you the tip of the year for that kind of wound - Cayenne pepper. For deep gashes sprinkle some ground Cayenne pepper into the wound after rinsing it. It doesn't sting and it clots immediately. This has been a real lifesaver for me. My wife found this on a home remedy website and I've used it a few times, including once when I ran my finger into my table router. I didn't even go to the emergency room when I probably should have. It clots and kills bacteria and begins healing immediately. It's a real miracle cure.

Decades ago someone in chem lab tried to insert a glass thermometer through the hole of a rubber stopper held in his other palm.  Broken glass through his palm. 

Along with a dose of mercury?

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Fortunately very little harm done. I know better than to do that and I wasn't drinking. LOL

I'll give you the tip of the year for that kind of wound - Cayenne pepper. For deep gashes sprinkle some ground Cayenne pepper into the wound after rinsing it. It doesn't sting and it clots immediately. This has been a real lifesaver for me. My wife found this on a home remedy website and I've used it a few times, including once when I ran my finger into my table router. I didn't even go to the emergency room when I probably should have. It clots and kills bacteria and begins healing immediately. It's a real miracle cure.

Good to know

Another good trick as crazy as it sounds, pee on it. Was told that by a friend of my wife's whose a nurse in an er. Oddly enough it has worked for me a few times.

post-39587-0-84505000-1483033755_thumb.jpgpost-39587-0-22592800-1483033825_thumb.jpgpost-39587-0-20469400-1483033880_thumb.jpg

This was 2 days after an encounter with a belt sander last year. 40 grit sucks. I was sanding the diving slope on a darter while I was still in darter hell and the body caught and shot out of my hand. It ended up throwing my hand toward the belt. Luckily I was holding the blank at an angle so I only ground down that spot of my finger. Unfortunately I don't have pictures for you of when in was drilling out 3/8" belly holes and split the body while I was holding it and drove the bit straight into my right pointer finger. Had to actually put the drill in reverse to back the bit out of the finger. I take many more safety precautions now then what I did a few years ago.

post-39587-0-60753700-1483033794_thumb.jpg

post-39587-0-07850900-1483033860_thumb.jpg

Edited by seed420

Yeh, I've done this 2x now....could've been worse, so I'm gonna observe some basic safety measures.....pic from a few days ago

there ya go Jim,,leave you with power tools and look what happens.

I thought your next words were gonna be that you went through.

easy does it M8,,do not rush any of the process!

H&H