needles

Slammer III Questions

81 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

Thanks for all the info! 

What are you fishing for with the 5lb drag? 

I put a 2LB weight on the of my Fierce II and tightened the drag until it wouldn't pull line, and it seemed pretty stiff honestly, but I could have been doing something wrong per usual lol

The 5500 will surely have a lower max drag as well, which would help 

Haha I'd like a bigger reel for the trip, but I don't anticipate catching anything massive other than maybe a big tarpon on this trip. After that, I'll be using it for stripers when I move to Boston, so it seems like a waste to get a 6500 when I won't need it for stripers. The 5500 holds 390yds of 30lb braid, which should be plenty, no?

In freshwater I fish for flathead catfish in heavy current using live baits up to 15in long, any flathead cat 30in and up won't care about 5lb of drag. Heck, when I fish cut bait for them with a set drag they don't care as they will rip drag off your reel at the strike even when running 15lbs; their mean and stubborn attitude means when they decide to eat they just don't give a crap what they have to break to get their food. :laugh:

Regarding shark fishing (haven't fished tarpon yet) you want to remember that you never know how big the next fish will be; especially in Florida. One minute you might hook a 4ft hammerhead, the next second a 9ft lemon might hit your bait and dump 300yds of line off your Slammer 8500lll because 35lbs of drag really doesn't mean that much(true story).:D

Edited by Beastly Backlash

19 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

In freshwater I fish for flathead catfish in heavy current using live baits up to 15in long, any flathead cat 30in and up won't care about 5lb of drag. Heck, when I fish cut bait for them with a set drag they don't care as they will rip drag off your reel at the strike even when running 15lbs; their mean and stubborn attitude means when they decide to eat they just don't give a crap what they have to break to get their food. :laugh:

Regarding shark fishing (haven't fished tarpon yet) you want to remember that you never know how big the next fish will be; especially in Florida. One minute you might hook a 4ft hammerhead, the next second a 9ft lemon might hit your bait and dump 300yds of line off your Slammer 8500lll because 35lbs of drag really doesn't mean that much(true story).:D

Enjoying the discussion :)

Too bad in Connecticut we only have Largemouth. No big catfish or Pike :(

How do you measure the drag pressure?

So you are saying the 6500 is a better size? Won't be too big for the canal? I'll have it on an 11'  Mojo

1 min ago, DutchGFX said:

Enjoying the discussion :)

Too bad in Connecticut we only have Largemouth. No big catfish or Pike :(

How do you measure the drag pressure?

So you are saying the 6500 is a better size? Won't be too big for the canal? I'll have it on an 11'  Mojo

I could never live any further North then where I currently live, big game pure freshwater fish become very rare once you get past the tributaries of the Mississippi river and the Chesapeake Bay. 

I have a few spring scales going up to 50lbs that I use the measure drag pressure and give myself a feeling for just how much drag pressure my reel was set too. Sometimes I will measure the drag on my reel after a fight just to get an idea of what pressures I was working with. Lever drags are nice because I know exactly how much drag I am running at all times.

Length of a rod and size of the reel are largely irrelevant to me, what matters more is the application you are using the rod and reel for; matching the power of the rod to the size and power of the reel. I have a 7ft 6in XH rod paired to a 30000 sized spinner with me, they work together because they are both designed for the same application, very big fish. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 6500 or even an 8500 sized reel on an 11ft surf rod so long as the power of the rod matched the application warranting the need of a bigger reel. 

That being said, the Penn reels in the 6000 to 6500 sizes are about the best all around sizes in my opinion, they will work well on most surf rod powers and lengths, they can be swapped to heavy inshore rods, then slapped on most boat rods as needed as well, they are neither to big or to small for lure fishing or bait fishing in most situations.

But, if you already have your set-up set for a specific application on your home waters, don't change it just to give yourself a better shot a catching bigger fish that you will only be targeting when on vacation. It would be better to just get a second set-up instead.

5 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I could never live any further North then where I currently live, big game pure freshwater fish become very rare once you get past the tributaries of the Mississippi river and the Chesapeake Bay. 

I have a few spring scales going up to 50lbs that I use the measure drag pressure and give myself a feeling for just how much drag pressure my reel was set too. Sometimes I will measure the drag on my reel after a fight just to get an idea of what pressures I was working with. Lever drags are nice because I know exactly how much drag I am running at all times.

Length of a rod and size of the reel are largely irrelevant to me, what matters more is the application you are using the rod and reel for; matching the power of the rod to the size and power of the reel. I have a 7ft 6in XH rod paired to a 30000 sized spinner with me, they work together because they are both designed for the same application, very big fish. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 6500 or even an 8500 sized reel on an 11ft surf rod so long as the power of the rod matched the application warranting the need of a bigger reel. 

That being said, the Penn reels in the 6000 to 6500 sizes are about the best all around sizes in my opinion, they will work well on most surf rod powers and lengths, they can be swapped to heavy inshore rods, then slapped on most boat rods as needed as well, they are neither to big or to small for lure fishing or bait fishing in most situations.

But, if you already have your set-up set for a specific application on your home waters, don't change it just to give yourself a better shot a catching bigger fish that you will only be targeting when on vacation. It would be better to just get a second set-up instead.

I agree 6000 is the ideal size. The issue for me is that the Slammer only comes in 5500 and 6500.

I think 6500 would be overkill for the canal with 485yds of 30lb braid. At 380yds, the 5500 would be sufficient. However, the 5500 is likely too small for Tarpon, as I'll only be able to hold around 280yds of 50lb, compared to 350yds for the 6500. 

I'm going to stop by the store tomorrow and hold a 6500...

My Fierce II 6000, which was sufficient for landing a 3' shark, is a good size for my 11' mojo. The Slammer 6500 has pretty much the exact same line capacity as the 6000 Fierce II, so hopefully that means they are the same size, rather than the Slammer having a shallower but larger spool. If that's the case, I think it's a no-brainer to get the larger reel. I've always been into larger reels to guarantee I land the fish. It's always better to be overgunned than undergunned I suppose

Edited by DutchGFX

22 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I went to Bass Pro. The 6500 Slammer had the same minimum drag as the 8000 Saragosa, and is no longer than a Battle 6000, so I'm going with a Slammer 6500 :)

1 hour ago, DutchGFX said:

I went to Bass Pro. The 6500 Slammer had the same minimum drag as the 8000 Saragosa, and is no longer than a Battle 6000, so I'm going with a Slammer 6500 :)

With the capacity and drag strength of the 6500 you can actually get the most use out of 50lb or 65lb braids breaking strength when fighting those larger and more powerful fish in Florida.

The 5500 will still be perfect for casting lures like you want.