needles

Slammer III Questions

81 posts in this topic

When will these new reels be available? What reels are they on par with that's currently in the Penn line up?

ICAST is so close :)

In a few weeks we will leak some info. 

tony

How did Penn drop 7.5 oz from the 5500 down to the 4500?  It's a drop of almost a 1/3 of the 5500 weight.  And, is it capable of landing fish up to 50" in typical inlet current? I'm interested in putting the 4500 on a 9'6" 3/4-3oz  Century. 

Edited by SJRhino

Penn, please break tradition and make a 15-17.5 oz, 5000 class, Slammer 3. There is a chasm like void between the 4500 and 5500. Love the utility of the Slammer 3 :p.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:33 AM, PENN Fishing said:

Rhino,

The reel is just smaller, smaller handle, rotor, spool, gears etc. resulting in the difference in weights. 

tony

Yea, obviously parts like handle, body, rotor, and spool are smaller. I guess I should have been more specific with my questions about the internals. Since I had a Spinfisher V5500 bend out of round after landing a 46" bass in inlet current, I'm wondering if there was any skimping on the internals to lose weight.  Since the Slammer III 4500 has 30# drag, it should be able to withstand a fish that size in moderate inlet current.  Correct?

6 hours ago, SJRhino said:

Yea, obviously parts like handle, body, rotor, and spool are smaller. I guess I should have been more specific with my questions about the internals. Since I had a Spinfisher V5500 bend out of round after landing a 46" bass in inlet current, I'm wondering if there was any skimping on the internals to lose weight.  Since the Slammer III 4500 has 30# drag, it should be able to withstand a fish that size in moderate inlet current.  Correct?

No skimping at all on the Slammer III !  Just smaller pieces.

tony

13 hours ago, SJRhino said:

There is not a bass around that will a ruin the internals of a properly functioning Slammer. On Labor Day my brother and I where fishing for bass with live pogies when a bluefin grabbed his pogie. He was fishing with the 4500 at the time (we have 5500's, 7500's and 9500's but were targeting stripers) and we chased the fish for 4 or 5 minutes before it broke the leader. The reel was very hot but worked perfectly afterwards and still does. 

Will the minimum drag on the 5500 be too strong for chunking bait? It will be for tarpon and sharks, and I will not be livelining frequently, so that's not an issue. It's mostly for plugging but I'll occasionally want to throw a big bunker chunk or something to the bottom and stick it in a sand spike. Will the minimum drag be too high and cause the fish to drop my bait? 

6 mins ago, DutchGFX said:

Will the minimum drag on the 5500 be too strong for chunking bait? It will be for tarpon and sharks, and I will not be livelining frequently, so that's not an issue. It's mostly for plugging but I'll occasionally want to throw a big bunker chunk or something to the bottom and stick it in a sand spike. Will the minimum drag be too high and cause the fish to drop my bait? 

No.

15 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

No.

Thanks! How tight is the minimum drag? Is it significantly tighter than the minimum drag on the Battle or other reels?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, DutchGFX said:

Thanks! How tight is the minimum drag? Is it significantly tighter than the minimum drag on the Battle or other reels?

I do not know the minimum drag of a Penn Battle, but the Slammer 8500lll I have has a minimum drag of about 1lb to 2lbs. I usually keep the drag around 5lbs at strike when I am shark fishing and have the rod spiked. Fishing from piers, I keep the drag as loose as possible and never have had an issue with the drag being too tight.

A shark isn't going to notice 5lbs of drag, much less 1lb to 2lbs of drag. Much less drag then 1lb and the tide will spool you before you get a chance to hook up with a fish.

I know some people have Slammer llls that have higher minimum drags, I think it may be due to the seals being fresh. My 8500III is pretty well broken in due to heavy use and that could be why the minimum drag is as low as it currently is, but that is only speculation (I do seem to recall that the Slammer llls I have had higher minimum drags brand new). Seals do wear over time and the resistance they create will diminish.

Still, even at the higher minimum drag of 5lbs, I have no issues with fish dropping the bait in freshwater or saltwater. 

As another example, I run my small lever drags at about 5lbs of drag for livelining or chunking in freshwater and saltwater as well, never had an issue.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I do not know the minimum drag of a Penn Battle, but the Slammer 8500lll I have has a minimum drag of about 1lb to 2lbs. I usually keep the drag around 5lbs at strike when I am shark fishing and have the rod spiked. Fishing from piers, I keep the drag as loose as possible and never have had an issue with the drag being too tight.

A shark isn't going to notice 5lbs of drag, much less 1lb to 2lbs of drag. Much less drag then 1lb and the tide will spool you before you get a chance to hook up with a fish.

I know some people have Slammer llls that have higher minimum drags, I think it may be due to the seals being fresh. My 8500III is pretty well broken in due to heavy use and that could be why the minimum drag is as low as it currently is, but that is only speculation (I do seem to recall that the Slammer llls I have had higher minimum drags brand new). Seals do wear over time and the resistance they create will diminish.

Still, even at the higher minimum drag of 5lbs, I have no issues with fish dropping the bait in freshwater or saltwater. 

As another example, I run my small lever drags at about 5lbs of drag for livelining or chunking in freshwater and saltwater as well, never had an issue.

Thanks for all the info! 

What are you fishing for with the 5lb drag? 

I put a 2LB weight on the of my Fierce II and tightened the drag until it wouldn't pull line, and it seemed pretty stiff honestly, but I could have been doing something wrong per usual lol

The 5500 will surely have a lower max drag as well, which would help 

Haha I'd like a bigger reel for the trip, but I don't anticipate catching anything massive other than maybe a big tarpon on this trip. After that, I'll be using it for stripers when I move to Boston, so it seems like a waste to get a 6500 when I won't need it for stripers. The 5500 holds 390yds of 30lb braid, which should be plenty, no?

Edited by DutchGFX