needles

Slammer III Questions

81 posts in this topic

I just looked at doing mine. It doesn't look 5 min simple.

I changed mine to the foam knob and it wasn't hard. I'm not a very practical person, but even I managed it in a short time. (I'll take this back if it falls off next time I use it.) It took a bit of force to undo the gold knob, but it was nothing crazy. 

I'm buying one of these.  I currently have an ssv 5000 on my 11 foot plugging rod which has been awesome, but I have snapped off a few plugs on a cast.  (user error cause most of these) Would the 6500 with manual bail work on the 11 footer?  don't want to get too heavy but like the idea of manual bail.  30 or 40 pound braid.

Does the SSV5500 balance well on the rod?  If so stick with the Slammer IIII 5500 and remove the trip ramp or lever to convert it to manual bail.

tony

For reference a slammer 3 5500 is the same size and wieght of a VS 250 and a vintage 706 z. I think it's the perfect size for 10 to 11 ft rod fishing the northeast for stripers and blues.

Hey Tony

Can i purchase spare spools for the Slammer III 4500 and 5500???

Spare parts will be available for purchase within a few days, we are sorting and inventorying as I type this.

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

Tony: Just spooled my new 5500 today and could not get an even line lay no matter what I tried. It was thicker in the back of the spool. Is there a cure ?

Tony: Just spooled my new 5500 today and could not get an even line lay no matter what I tried. It was thicker in the back of the spool. Is there a cure ?

In the owner's manual there should be instructions on how to adjust line lay.  If the spool lays bottom heavy you can remove one of the line lay washers to lower the spool.

tony

Will Penn release SLAIIIs at 1000 to 2500 sizes??? It'd be great for UL shore fishing without worrying of dunking/splashing your reel in saltwater... I am enjoying my SLAIII4500...  :)

Hoping to see sealed Penns in the UL spectrum...

Will Penn release SLAIIIs at 1000 to 2500 sizes??? It'd be great for UL shore fishing without worrying of dunking/splashing your reel in saltwater... I am enjoying my SLAIII4500...  :)

Hoping to see sealed Penns in the UL spectrum...

We will be launching a new line of UL's at ICAST, but it won't be in the Slammer line. 

tony

In the owner's manual there should be instructions on how to adjust line lay.  If the spool lays bottom heavy you can remove one of the line lay washers to lower the spool.

tony

That did the trick - thanks Tony !

We will be launching a new line of UL's at ICAST, but it won't be in the Slammer line. 

tony

When will these new reels be available? What reels are they on par with that's currently in the Penn line up?