needles

Slammer III Questions

81 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how much bigger the Slammer 7500 is in the way of line capacity than the Shimano Saragosa 10k? I've examined the two reels at a tackle shop. The spool of the 7500 Slammer looks a fair bit bigger than the Shimano 10k spool (which looks a bit dinky to me), but the spools say (printed on them) they have very nearly the same line capacity. I think the 7500 Penn must hold more line. 

We put the reels on a set of scales. The Penn was 820 g and Saragosa 10000 weighed 711 g, as I remember.

I've gone ahead and bought a Slammer 7500 and can answer my own question now (but thanks Meccalli for your reply). 

I somehow got confused about the reel's line capacity. I had it in my head (in fact I had it written down) that it held 275 m of 0.46 mm line - which was the line capacity I wanted. It actually holds 200 m of 0.46 mm mono, so it says printed on the spool.

It looks to have a very similar line capacity to my old USA-made 7500ss Spinfisher - makes sense given they are both 7500 reels (Spinfisher holds 230 m of 0.45 mm). The Slammer is a fair bit physically bigger than my Spinfisher (Spinfisher seems short and compact next to it). It weighs 809 g with the foam knob, without line. The Spinfisher is 744 g without line.

Even though the Slammer holds less line than I wanted and is pretty heavy, I don't regret buying it (not yet). I think it looks good, is nice and simple and very strong. I'll put 200 m of 30 lb mono (about 0.46 mm thick) on it and then see if I get spooled by a big fish. It probably won't be a problem, especially if I can swap to a spare spool if I lose line during fishing.    

Edited by Steg

Had a 3500 in my hand today.  OMG the thing is heavy!,  Smooth....Nice Feel, but not a backwater reel.

the 4500 is lighter than the SSV 4500 and I've used that SSV out front for hours casting like a madman !!......

Hello, i've just bought a Penn Slammer 3  4500  abd i'd  like to swap the metal knob for the eva one  but i find it impossible .
May  you  make a video tutorial to teach me  how  to  replace it ? i saw a lot  of  video on you tube where penn seller says  it's a 2 minute operation  but no one show  how to do it .

Last  question : i saw that Penn uses Berkley Spiderwire  for spool lenght test , what about mono ? which mono do you use ?

Thanks  in advance
have a nice day

Btw, has anyone here actually had a chance to put this new reel through the test? The 3500 is looking at me in the eye, but I haven't blinked yet

I will in April when I go to Florida, then all Spring and Summer long.

I have two of the reels spooled up and ready to go once those days come around. :)

Hello, i've just bought a Penn Slammer 3  4500  abd i'd  like to swap the metal knob for the eva one  but i find it impossible .

May  you  make a video tutorial to teach me  how  to  replace it ? i saw a lot  of  video on you tube where penn seller says  it's a 2 minute operation  but no one show  how to do it .

Last  question : i saw that Penn uses Berkley Spiderwire  for spool lenght test , what about mono ? which mono do you use ?

Thanks  in advance

have a nice day

up

up

I think it shows you how to make that change on the instruction sheet that comes with the reel. I think it went roughly like this: Use a coin (of suitable size) to unscrew the knob. It all comes apart fairly easily then. You remove the gold knob, replace it with the foam one and put back the few other parts in the same way as you found them. There's no extra part involved (other than the foam knob). 

I think it shows you how to make that change on the instruction sheet that comes with the reel. I think it went roughly like this: Use a coin (of suitable size) to unscrew the knob. It all comes apart fairly easily then. You remove the gold knob, replace it with the foam one and put back the few other parts in the same way as you found them. There's no extra part involved (other than the foam knob). Than

Thanks for the reply Mr.  Steg , i've tryed to use a coin of the suitable size but it only been able to ruin a bit  the metal knob  and atm i am  still looking  for a solution .

TBH in my  opinion it's a not a 2 minutes  operation like penn says .....

Thanks for the reply Mr.  Steg , i've tryed to use a coin of the suitable size but it only been able to ruin a bit  the metal knob  and atm i am  still looking  for a solution .

TBH in my  opinion it's a not a 2 minutes  operation like penn says .....

The screw needs to be tight to prevent it from loosening while fighting a fish.  If the coin doesn't work try getting a longer screwdriver and taping the blade for better grip.

tony

The screw needs to be tight to prevent it from loosening while fighting a fish.  If the coin doesn't work try getting a longer screwdriver and taping the blade for better grip.

tony

Definitely an issue ... I had to find this old thread to get it to work for me.

solution - Penn should put a sticker on the knob letting you know. I like that it wont come off easily but I had the problem initially getting it off. I simple sticker would save alot of hassle.

My brother is taking my 7500 to keys in a few weeks. Hoping he gets to workit out on a tarpon, tuna  or shark or something big that pulls

3500 - 10500 Slammer III all sizes use brass main gear, brass pinion, brass osc. gear.

3500 - 10500 all have a rotor brake

3500 - 5500 have an automatic bail trip

6500 - 10500 have a manual bail trip.

tony

Tony can the 5500 be converted to a manual bail.

I'm buying one of these.  I currently have an ssv 5000 on my 11 foot plugging rod which has been awesome, but I have snapped off a few plugs on a cast.  (user error cause most of these) Would the 6500 with manual bail work on the 11 footer?  don't want to get too heavy but like the idea of manual bail.  30 or 40 pound braid.