needles

Slammer III Questions

81 posts in this topic

Can anybody post a side by side comparison of the 3500 and 4500 ? I know the weight difference is minimal . I have a 3500 that I just got for a century 8'6" rod I'll be using with 20# braid for light back bay application but the 3500 hold 220 yrds of 20# braid so I'm considering the 4500 which hold 320 yrds of 20# braid which I'm more comfortable with if the 4500 isn't much bigger .....

Tony, is there any way of converting l the 5500 to manual bail w/o removing the bail trip lever? The brake seems strong, but so did the SSV series and the bail still flipped on me at times. Tx

Just scooped the 5500, absolutely loving the powerknob. The 4500 felt too small, it seems the jump from the 3500-4500 isn't much, but from 4500-5500 is much more drastic. I am using a 9ft St. Croix Mojo Surf Rod and the two together feel like butter. Love it!

Slammer III uses an all CNC machined brass gearing system, pinion, osc. gear, main gear.  2 large Dura-Drag washers (first time in a spinning reel) for smooth drag + more max drag.  All metal body side plate and rotor, IPX6 (independently rated) sealed body and drag.   If you haven't already seen the ********** video in Montauk take a look

Comes with an aluminum handle knob with a spare EVA knob.

tony

Tony does the slammer 3 3500 and 4500 share the same body size ? And the same same rotor ? Thanks for any help

Does anyone know how much bigger the Slammer 7500 is in the way of line capacity than the Shimano Saragosa 10k? I've examined the two reels at a tackle shop. The spool of the 7500 Slammer looks a fair bit bigger than the Shimano 10k spool (which looks a bit dinky to me), but the spools say (printed on them) they have very nearly the same line capacity. I think the 7500 Penn must hold more line. 

We put the reels on a set of scales. The Penn was 820 g and Saragosa 10000 weighed 711 g, as I remember.

Probably does, however Penn recommends you spool it to the line capacity rings. You can easily overfill penn spools past what they're rated to hold. According to tackledirect, the slammer 7500 holds 330/20lb mono vs 220/20 on the 10k gosa.

got a 3500 for my bday.  it is heavy, but feels really solid.  if they could make this in the usa, it would be the torque ive wanted.  is all this lube part of the waterproofing or did a worker get a little crazy?

post-11875-0-97014700-1484098391.jpg

Tony does the slammer 3 3500 and 4500 share the same body size ? And the same same rotor ? Thanks for any help

They share the same body but the rotor and spool are different sizes for line capacity.

tony

got a 3500 for my bday.  it is heavy, but feels really solid.  if they could make this in the usa, it would be the torque ive wanted.  is all this lube part of the waterproofing or did a worker get a little crazy?

It does seem a little excessive.

tony

Just scooped the 5500, absolutely loving the powerknob. The 4500 felt too small, it seems the jump from the 3500-4500 isn't much, but from 4500-5500 is much more drastic. I am using a 9ft St. Croix Mojo Surf Rod and the two together feel like butter. Love it!

Thanks for the support!

tony

Tony, is there any way of converting l the 5500 to manual bail w/o removing the bail trip lever? The brake seems strong, but so did the SSV series and the bail still flipped on me at times. Tx

If you want to convert the reel to manual bail you will need to remove the trip lever.  6500 and up will come with the lever already removed.

tony

If you want to convert the reel to manual bail you will need to remove the trip lever.  6500 and up will come with the lever already removed.

tony

Sorry bad info I gave here.  The larger sizes still have a trip lever installed but have no trip ramp.  If you wanted to convert your 5500 to manual bail you can still remove the lever but you would be better off removing the ramp and leaving the lever in to provide friction.

tony