bobber

its that time agaain..... headlamps- whaddya like?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I have been using a Bushnell 65 cap light. The good; it has red and white LED bulbs, the bulbs are on separate switches so you don't have to click through 3-4 modes. It only has 1 AAA  battery, but the red bulb uses significantly less juice and it is generally bright enough to allow me to walk thus extending battery life. The switches are somewhat waterproof, I have used it in light rain and surf with no issues. It only costs $10, but it is only available at Walmart. The bad, the switches can be hard to press, you have to practice a little. The real problem is that the clip is really strong and pressing it on and pulling it off will chew up the brim of your hat. I 'adjusted' mine by slipping it on a butter knife then heating the bend in the clip with a heat gun to weaken the strength of the clip. I have had mine for 2 seasons. I should probably buy another in case they stop making them.

Edited by MikeBlue

look at the nitecore hc50. it has multiple settings, red light. you can find it on the river site with a battery and charger for ~$50. mine just finished its 3rd season i think.

i've gone the el cheapo route as well but i was always losing/abusing those and was without a light a few times. i tend to take a little better care of this one.

That Pelican 1900N can be found online for $10-15.  No need to spend twice that for a Hansom brand name and surgical tube.  The 1900N is my go to and I usualy have two of them on me.  One as is and one that I have a red filter cut into it.  I also carry a Pelican 3330 as an emergency bright light.  The 3330 is technically not waterproof but I have one that has lasted multiple years in the wetsuite. 

The Pelican 2690 is a headlamp that I like.  It is no frills but has lasted a long time. 

My first Pelican was given to me by a friend and they have outlasted a number of other lights that I have tried. 

UK vizion uses to be my full time headlamp but it seems after a month or two they begin to fail. It seems the battery connection point is a weak spot anmd the light will flicker or fail to seven turn on. They are waterproof, have a red lens feature and they will stand behind their warranty. I have given up on them. I now use an energizer light w a button for white and one for red. $10 each and if they fail I toss em out

UK vizion uses to be my full time headlamp but it seems after a month or two they begin to fail. It seems the battery connection point is a weak spot anmd the light will flicker or fail to seven turn on. They are waterproof, have a red lens feature and they will stand behind their warranty. I have given up on them. I now use an energizer light w a button for white and one for red. $10 each and if they fail I toss em out

I had this problem too although it took a year or so. I solved this problem by simply cutting a small pieces of aluminum foil and inserting between the bottom of the battery and the connection point.

My main light is the Princeton Tec AMP 1L. Water proof for 100 meter and cost $9.99. When I will join the air traffic controllers I will thing about spending over $100 on headlight to light up the runway in case the power runs out..

Edited by levari

Really loving the Thrunite TH10. Except I wear it around my neck which is more secure and comfortable. Just cut out the top band. Has a moonlight setting that's bright enough to tie a knot on the darkest night yet enough lumens when needed. Add a red filter and it's perfect. Plus it can be positioned to light in any vertical position. Sometimes I point it up to track my line without illuminating the water. Been using for a couple of seasons and no issues. Gets soaked hard every outing. Just rinse in the morning.

thanks for the suggestions.... I'll check them out. 

still would like to find one that clips onto the brim of a hat that doesn't suck though....

Black Diamond Storm headlamp has done me well.  I wear it around my neck, upside down (switch down).  It allows me to use the adjustment on it to point as I wish from that location.

It's IP67 rated for saltwater use and lasts a good long time with 4 AAA batteries.

It has red light, concentrated beam, spread beams, and emergency strobe. 

It's worked well for a few years now for about $50.  Ptechs I've had typically fail within a year.

Cheap, waterproof, red light,

I have three of them that are over 10 years old, have taken a savage beating, lots of Montauk underwater time, and are still running strong except one (and it only died because i stepped on it with my boots and korkers

Best part is that they are bright enough, yet not so bright that everyone around you wants to toss you in the water

Those super bright lights = googan lights

post-2147-0-21860700-1482898989.gif

Edited by Sudsy

Coast....it's really bright .....has a second button for red light ....so you don't spook the fish...it's water proof....battery pack a in the back of head.... $20 Walmart ...or home depot........life time warranty

thanks for the suggestions.... I'll check them out. 

still would like to find one that clips onto the brim of a hat that doesn't suck though....

I don't think that type of light exist. Most guys prefer a light that hangs around their neck easy to use and it's hard to lose it when it's around ones neck. Spend your money on something that is gonna hold up to water. The pelican light is great, inexpensive, and will hold up. Not very bright but it works, just color the lense red I'm you prefer and get some surgical tube. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass when you really need that light and it doesn't work or better yet when your hat blows off your head. Good luck with your choice sorry if I sound harsh it wasn't my intention just experience and that of others.

Mark