All things Tackle

Rate this topic

smallbatch9

I give the spinfishers a C. I've gone through 5 of them in the last 1.5 years. Everything from teeth of gears sheering off, to bearings seizing up completely, to parts not installed from the factory making the reel inoperable. The good things is they are easy to work on and parts are cheap. I have 1 as a backup. These were all 3500s and 4500s.

I've had a 4500 for about 1.5 years too and I'm not completely sold on it. It was as smooth as can be when I bought it, but now I can feel the metal teeth on the gears when I crank it in. I've opened it up a few times and can't figure it out?  As much as it pains me, I might have to pay somebody to look at it. I'm afraid if I keep using it the way it is, the teeth will sheer like you experienced. Did you notice 'gears grinding' in yours?

I've had a 4500 for about 1.5 years too and I'm not completely sold on it. It was as smooth as can be when I bought it, but now I can feel the metal teeth on the gears when I crank it in. I've opened it up a few times and can't figure it out? As much as it pains me, I might have to pay somebody to look at it. I'm afraid if I keep using it the way it is, the teeth will sheer like you experienced. Did you notice 'gears grinding' in yours?

You could feel it binding. It went from binding to sheared off being able to freely turn in 10 minutes. Pull the gears out and look at them from the side. I got mine from Scott's for like $20 shipped. Also check out the bearing that's in the body housing for the handle on the right side of the reel. Those always seize up on me and give me issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have questions.  Abu-related questions.

I got a new Abu 7000 BY for christmas.  Of course, I've walked around with it and played with it like it was a stuffed animal.  Something has me concerned though.  I've set the spool for LOTS of side-to-side play, turned the mag brake all the way down to 1, but when I spin the spool on freespool it only travels a couple rotations and then stops.  My older Abu 6500's will spin forever.  I will remove and either clean or replace the bearings, but what gives?  This is a new real.  Are they overmagged?  Anyone have any experience with these things?

Next question.  I have a 6500 chrome rocket that I LOVE.  It's been my farthest casting reel for years.  Now, it blows up with every cast.  No matter how tight I set the spool tension once in freespool it will spin forever.  I know Marcus had problems with one of these and changed the spool and it worked, but that doesn't explain why this real was once a champ and is now untamable.  Again, I have cleaned and re-lubed the bearings with no change in performance.  Any ideas from anyone?

I like Abus, but at this stage in my life I don't have the time to perform the maintenance they require. That outta  :worms:

What's up bro!  I'd like to start thinking fishing again but coaching wrassling has kept me quite busy.  I gave ya a bit of input on that Chinese-made BY7000 below:

Ok, I have questions.  Abu-related questions.

I got a new Abu 7000 BY for christmas.  Of course, I've walked around with it and played with it like it was a stuffed animal.  Something has me concerned though.  I've set the spool for LOTS of side-to-side play, turned the mag brake all the way down to 1, but when I spin the spool on freespool it only travels a couple rotations and then stops.  My older Abu 6500's will spin forever.  I will remove and either clean or replace the bearings, but what gives?  This is a new real.  Are they overmagged?  Anyone have any experience with these things?

:worms:

- The best thing to do on the 7000 is to polish both the inside of the brass pinion and also the spool shaft that goes through it.  On my Chinese-made 7000/7500 I've done the same and have been able to pickup alot more spool speed.  Out of the box my reels have been slow as molasses.  To polish I start with a 800 grit wet sand paper and work my way down to 2000. A small drillbit or even a cut off Q-tip will fit inside the pinion, allowing you to polish it when you wrap the sandpaper around it.   I'll apply a light oil to the polished spool shaft/pinion and viola the speed is much better.  Of course service the bearings as well.  I've found that with the 7000 reels that the spool shaft has alot of friction against the pinion until you polish both. 

The only caveat is mine do not have the mag brake, just centrifugal.

Hopes this helps ya bud :)

so what im hearing is your getting too old to cast? :cool:

have you gotten new bearings?  i like the hybrid ceramic 5's, not because they are faster but more consistent over different temps / time / oil.

I did have one spool that seemed to 'blow' up more than the others, not sure if it was better balanced, and faster or out of balance making it harder to control.... and i only swapped the spool, same bearings, etc.

the new 7000BY, is it a new model made in china?  EDIT.... nevermind minh got it

Edited by luckyOC

What's up bro!  I'd like to start thinking fishing again but coaching wrassling has kept me quite busy.  I gave ya a bit of input on that Chinese-made BY7000 below:

- The best thing to do on the 7000 is to polish both the inside of the brass pinion and also the spool shaft that goes through it.  On my Chinese-made 7000/7500 I've done the same and have been able to pickup alot more spool speed.  Out of the box my reels have been slow as molasses.  To polish I start with a 800 grit wet sand paper and work my way down to 2000. A small drillbit or even a cut off Q-tip will fit inside the pinion, allowing you to polish it when you wrap the sandpaper around it.   I'll apply a light oil to the polished spool shaft/pinion and viola the speed is much better.  Of course service the bearings as well.  I've found that with the 7000 reels that the spool shaft has alot of friction against the pinion until you polish both. 

I guess it wouldn't be an abu if it didn't require a crap ton of TLC.  Ok, I'll give that a try.  Winter is here so it's a great time to do things like this.

BTW, I hope the family is well.  How is Colin doing?  Is he ready for Nolf yet?  :)

You guys still on for Feb 12?

have you gotten new bearings?  i like the hybrid ceramic 5's, not because they are faster but more consistent over different temps / time / oil.

I did have one spool that seemed to 'blow' up more than the others, not sure if it was better balanced, and faster or out of balance making it harder to control.... and i only swapped the spool, same bearings, etc.

the new 7000BY, is it a new model made in china?  EDIT.... nevermind minh got it

Yeah, changing the bearings is next, but the spool tensioner should slow the spool speed independent of the bearings, no?  That's what really has me confused...

I had the same issue with my Akios 666.  No matter what I did to that thing I could not stop it from backlashing, even on full on mags and heavy oil.  I finally swapped the bearings and it solved the issue......Until I dropped it and broke the posts that hold the brake sideplate on :cry:  

Got alot of spare parts if needed :D:dismay:

BTW, I hope the family is well.  How is Colin doing?  Is he ready for Nolf yet?   :)

You guys still on for Feb 12?

Real well!  Hope the same for you guys.

He's doing well.  Still rides too high but we're working on it.  Focusing on getting him to transition back and forth from nearside breakdowns to spiral rides :)

I think the 12th looks good still.  Excited to watch so I hope nothing comes up.