smallbatch9

All things Tackle

Rate this topic

252 posts in this topic

i'm going to start this thread for a place to share what you might use for tackle... pliers hooks line knots reels.. anything you might wanna share...9/0 charlie brown circle vs 9/0 HD Charlie brown circle

post-22662-0-90062500-1481902131.jpg

I tried some Charlie Brown hooks some years back & didn't like them.  Can't remember why...but I ain't gonna fish 'em again.  I like the Gami Big Eye in 9/0 for drum...and another drum hook is the Mustad 39948NP-BN in 11/0.  These two hooks are the same size...and $$.  For stripers I like the Mustad 39954NP-BN or the 39951NP-BN, both in 10/0.  I do NOT like the Gami Octopus circles in 8/0...too many dropped fish. 

I tried some Charlie Brown hooks some years back & didn't like them.  Can't remember why...but I ain't gonna fish 'em again.  I like the Gami Big Eye in 9/0 for drum...and another drum hook is the Mustad 39948NP-BN in 11/0.  These two hooks are the same size...and $$.  For stripers I like the Mustad 39954NP-BN or the 39951NP-BN, both in 10/0.  I do NOT like the Gami Octopus circles in 8/0...too many dropped fish.

Ah...your Charlie Brown hooks are still hanging up in my garage..lol

Edited by Possum

I got a couple of them hooks, erik made me a rig with them, with mine I use dropper loops though you can still get the floats on them an a bead , if you buy the rite size bead, the nice thing about them is you can get 4 or 5 fleas on them an a strip of FB, they also work well with chunks an heads, mine are usely 08 to 10, both reds an stripers, now the ball sack rig is a horse of a different  color , I got a pic of it ,but the freakin camra won't up load to the puter ( could be windows  98) I did loose 2 pups this past fall , an I think it was cause of the big hook, lost in the wash, or it could have been cause I didn't let them munch on it enough, before reeling in, I think one of the handiest tools is fishing pliers, you can crimp with them, cut line, bend hooks, an remove hooks , now if its a shark , I carry long handle channel locks , I think WVAllen had the longest  dee hooking tool that I ever saw , lime green or light green floats seemed to work well on reds this year . lol from what I could see from those that caught , that stopped by to chatt( I always look at others rigs an set ups) :howdy:  :)

Great idea for a thread, thanks Smallbatch!  Be neat to see others ideas and opinions.  Especially since the business end of our gear is all made from individual components that we have to assemble into our own unique rigs.

For hooks, I'm partial to the Daiichi, Owner, and, Mustad hooks.  Can't remember the models numbers, but I know the hooks when I see them.  Basically, I look for the widest gap, deepest belly, and, the thinnest wire.  Plug had a thread/post once about the thickness of the hook's wire; and, how a hook with thinner wire took less force to penetrate than a hook with thicker wire.  I try to remember that bit of wisdom.

Tried the Charlie Browns, and, from a looks alone standpoint, thought they were close to perfect.  After a day or so of fishing them, started to notice the tip of the hooks were dull.  Rounded off and blunted.  :huh:  Maybe from being drug through the sand on retrieval, or, could have been a bad batch from the from the manufacturer.  Just knew that they started off sharp and pointy, and ended up dull, pretty quick.

I make my own really simple top and bottom rigs, but in a special way.  Easier to post a pic than describe them.  Too lazy to go out to the garage to get one and post pics so that'll hafta wait.

i've been told this line is the same as the old sufix gold ... seems to be very close but i haven't fished it yet... cost is the same as most quality line at .014 cents a yard and is made and sold to the international markets

post-22662-0-60736900-1481983357.jpg

post-22662-0-60399700-1481983372.jpg

Edited by smallbatch9

I like the Pro Spec...and not the Chrome version.  16# for stripers (.038mm) and 20# for drum (.040mm).  Actually any decent line of approx those diameters will work fine.  I do like the Big Game 50#, 80#, and 150# for leaders, though.  I use Jinkai 150# for drum hooks. 

i like the strength of the jinkai but not the stiffness ... i still use it and the big game..good stuff ... the orange chrome i liked until last year when i was fishing in the sandlot .. never had a mono line shread that bad..... spooled the last of it on one of dans hugemongus grinders and its all gone

Edited by smallbatch9

dans hugemongus grinders

Dunno why the boy keeps fishin' those things.  He does have (and can use) real reels.

Edited by SteveZ

ahhhh heck an I thought this was going to be an informative thread, but there ya go with this grinder stuff :worms: them backward rods an that tumb on the line might not be his thing, but I do have to ask do youins use that tunb protector if you have braid on them backward rods, I know allen S uses a finger protector on his real reels with braid. there ya go jeff ya just can't leave it alone , but then again it is your thread. i'm thinking for the main prize for the earl awards this yr be a  :worms:  chia pet trump :eek:  :dismay: do I here any of this :clap:  I think they should have one like this :th:  :help:  :clown:  :kook:

No rubbers for me..... i think dan fishes the odds .. give him another rod and reel he'd just set out another spike... tho i do like watching him do the 200 yard dash from time to time... last may his end rod went down and he was already grinding one in... drove my truck down the beach to get it for him .... he still owes me a 1/4 tank of gas.... needs binoculars to watch them somedays !!!

Edited by smallbatch9