flyangler

Anyone use ALPS reel seats on surf rod builds?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

OK, I was "wrong", I did not like the ALPS Waveform as much as the ergonomic Fuji. For those of you who said so, I  :howdy:

Some days you just have to touch something with your own two hands to understand what it is that everyone else is telling you. So GetBit sent me the ALPS and Fuji DNPS size 20 seats and I have to admit, I like the Fuji better in the hand. The ALPS looks better in a blingish sort of way but the Fuji just feels better, has a lower profile, is lighter, etc. Yes, most of you said exactly that but I had to prove it to myself. I don't care about the cold, but these other factors were decisive. 

@Billy 40 - Bob is sending me that that matte black he said is called sharkskin. Thanks again for the referral. 

Photos of the two seats on a extra blank butt along with a 10K 'gosa

IMG_3578.jpeg.081c2462362b9eb8216536d48b732060.jpeg

IMG_3579.jpeg.08f6ef14c1f87cf1362028b78901c80c.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg.3f5bb58987b13d3c1bff4edbc14903cf.jpeg

IMG_3581.jpeg.ee1e861f19c4344e24520821b1977f77.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg.8094ae149e6e78c5098801d88771678f.jpeg

IMG_3582.jpeg.99dce2ca37f89f2ad27e093048df90b3.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

That Sharkskin is not for everyone, but surf guys seem to love it since it gives extra grip. I didnt' like it at first, but I put it on a rod which I'll fish this summer on teh party boats and see how it actually feels and how it holds up.

I will not build a rod with any aluminum seat - the few times I did I made the guy convince me that is what he really wanted. One of them came back and told me they hated it and if there was somethign I could do. "Two things I could do: not use it in the first place, or build a new rod with the right seat in the first place". 90% of the builders I deal with in real life feel the same way about the aluminum seats

On 3/11/2021 at 9:31 PM, Billy 40 said:

I never used one and never had a problem, and hundreds of thousands of rods never had a problem. SOme people say the seats losen up, I haven't had that happen. Bob knows his stuff inside and out, and put a lot of time into stocking the right components for the rods he builds.

That's surprising. Maybe its the way I hold the reel or fight a fish, but I won't get anything built anymore without a lock nut to ensure I don't have issues with the DPS. Used to be a common problem for me

53 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Maybe its the way I hold the reel or fight a fish,

THat's why they came out with the lock nut. It does have to do with how the seat is installed and how you hold it, it's not hard to figure out. If you hold the rod with your right hand or your left and it is on teh nut, depending if it's up or down it can loosen. I never had it happen to me but I build every rod the same way. NEver had any customers come back and tell me they had a problem either

26 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

THat's why they came out with the lock nut. It does have to do with how the seat is installed and how you hold it, it's not hard to figure out. If you hold the rod with your right hand or your left and it is on teh nut, depending if it's up or down it can loosen. I never had it happen to me but I build every rod the same way. NEver had any customers come back and tell me they had a problem either

Was just surprised that no customers ever had issues. Standard uplocking with clockwise tightening and when I'm torquing against it lifting the rod it naturally wants to loosen unless you tighten the chit out of it. Same with nps. Started using matagi lock nuts with Ray before fuji came out with them and haven't had any issues. Never tried downlocking on spinning because I don't want my hand on seat threads, and prefer a flat transition to the grip or get cramping because I extend my index with certain lure presentations. 

MOVING MY FOLLOW UP QUESTION ON THAT CRAZY COLOR REEL SEAT TO A NEW THREAD IN THE ROD BUILDING FORUM

Edited by flyangler