flyangler

Anyone use ALPS reel seats on surf rod builds?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

In the coming weeks, I WILL order a Century S2 1326, just trying to decide whether to buy the generic build available from dealers or have a custom rod built. While I tied my own rods 35+ years ago, my rod building days are behind me, at least for now.

I have plenty of rods with Fuji seats and they all work, but they are boring aesthetically. I have found some of the most recent having a sharp edge in the hood guide-groove that I have had to take down with a file. Works great after but they are still plain Jane.

Thus, my interests are split between functionality, comfort over hours of casting and looks.

So who has used ALPS spinning reel seats? Which ones? How did they work out? Did you use matching winding checks or other trim or butt cap/plates?

Gloss black is first choice but liking the brushed/matte metal colors as well. This rod will be paired with a Saragosa so the "bright" or "gunsmoke" colors might work.

I have ALPS triangle seats on my custom jigging rods that are a bright silver/chrome which worked with the silver winding trim but that is not the color scheme I want on this surf stick. The triangle works well with a jigging style but not sure about surf rod.

Thanks.

Edited by tomkaz

I had both triangle and round alps in gold. Both surf rods. I would recommend the round. I felt like the rods were a little more sensitive than the others I had with tape arbor and Fuji seats.

Planning a rod and it will definatly have an alps seat. I think the Fuji seats look cheap and like crap. I never understood plain boring surf rods that guys have built.

I used a black alps on a century build a few seasons ago, looks nice

Had some issues with sand getting in the threads and almost not being able to remove the reel and the locking nuts getting stuck

Besides that I liked it, added a nice touch

I use Alps on all of my newer build ... triangle if large enough and round if I have to. I found they hold the VS reel foot better than Fuji on blanks that have a large butt section. That is why I started using them and now they are all I use. Caution if you are fishing extremely cold weather because you will feel the cold due to the aluminum.

just did 3 century surf machine with alps seats 

came out awesome.

have used them on a few rods.

keep clean and washed, just like offshore tuna rods

Edited by paul708

message dennysnook he has one with alps seat on a custom fiberstar composites rod.

been use in surf and sebastian inlet 368 days out of 365 a year.

Edited by HellRaY

Looks are definitely not everything. Alloy seats on a surf rod are just purgatory in cold weather and also if the water is cold to.

Late fall on the East coast you will hate them.

Beauty turns ugly very fast when your digits are blue.

Some of us think the Fuji seats are nice to look at to.

You could also consider a taped on real for the ultimate in fit and comfort.

I will bet you still go with the alloy seat though.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I don't think you can beat a fuji seat for function and durability. If it's purely looks that you want you can get fuji seat painted from matagi. Pretty much any color and I think on any seat fuji makes. Billy40 has them. I've used the Matagi seats on a bunch of conventional rods and been very happy. I do not use seats on my surf builds tho.

ps - here's a stock internet pic of the matagi seats, other styles are available. I do have some alps seats on boat rods. They do get cold, I've had issues with them being difficult to get the reels off despite a sight amount of grease on the threads. It seemed that any small amount of salt causes some issues.

post-3481-0-44033800-1481805340.jpg

Edited by Drew C.

My builder in Portsmouth RI (Ted Zack) put an ALPS Wave (triangle) on my GSB120. I wanted a "Stealth" black build...the black blank...and the gloss black ALPS is great.

Edited by blackdogfish

This is what I keep in stock from Matagi, they are painted Fuji seats from Japan. I just ordered 40 more in a wide variety of colors, in addition to teh 45 seats I have in stock here. I put an order in ever couple of months, and have been using ans selling these since 2004

post-697-0-55272600-1481806344.jpg

post-697-0-54848400-1481806356.jpg

post-697-0-06905700-1481806382.jpg

post-697-0-80464000-1481806394.jpg

post-697-0-04178900-1481806403.jpg

post-697-0-04709200-1481806414.jpg

I had an S1 built with an ALPS triangle seat and had it removed a year later.  Replaced it with a Fuji.  Felt it made the rod too butt heavy.  Also didn't like using it in Nov/Dec; got way too cold for me.