Poor casting distance

Rate this topic

brady12

I went out to a local field today to see how far I could cast since it's pretty hard to tell when I'm fishing and was pretty disappointed with my results.  I am using a 8' Shakespeare contender combo with 20lb. mono and was throwing a 1 1/9 oz sp minnow and could only throw it about 60 yards.  I know it's not the best setup, but that's what I have. 

I recently purchased a 9' penn fierce ii combo and plan to use braided line to get some extra distance, but does anyone have any tips for getting a little more distance with my current setup (technique wise)?  I can't buy anything else at this time, just looking for ways to improve what I'm doing.  I usually from a rocky cliff or off boulders, so the footing isn't the best.   Is there a casting technique that's easier, that I could lookup online? 

thanks

60yd on 1oz sounds pretty good actually. 

Distance is limited by sinker weight because heavier sinker can get tossed further.

To toss a heavy sinker in the first place you need a stiff long rod. There should be markings on your rod mentioning its rating in oz. Try with the max rating, which is probably 1 or 2 oz. If you can toss 1oz 60 yd on a 8ft rod, an 11 foot heavy action rod would let you toss 4 oz past 100 yards with pretty much the same form/effort. I emphasize "would", no guarantee.

Check out British long distance casters on youtube. Those who get 300yd do so on 8oz with 15 feet rods and bail-less reels. 

That being said an 8ft medium action rod is more fun to use 90% of the time than a 15ft heavy action rod.

I wasn't sure, but looked on here yesterday and saw guys talking about 100 yards.  I guess I wasn't factoring in the lighter lure I was using.   I'm really trying to get another 15 yards to reach a spot where I fish.   Maybe the longer rod and braid will get me a little more with the SP, but probably not that much.  I'll have to try throwing something heavier.

I wasn't sure, but looked on here yesterday and saw guys talking about 100 yards.  I guess I wasn't factoring in the lighter lure I was using.   I'm really trying to get another 15 yards to reach a spot where I fish.   Maybe the longer rod and braid will get me a little more with the SP, but probably not that much.  I'll have to try throwing something heavier.

Just use a slightly heavier sinker. It's a simpler change than respooling with lighter braid.

fishen offrocks stick to mono.Try 15 or 17lb test. Don't tell anyone but if you take a piece of plumbers soilder and wrap it around the tail hook of you lure you will make up that extra yards.

AS far as casting look up John Holden on U.K. YOU TUBES.  good luck

Solder. Genius. Love it.

Edited by nw_caster

• 3 weeks later...

To measure distance: I cast, then put a Berkley line counter on the rod, reset it and retrieve. It will run backwards, so just subtract the number on the device from 1000 and you'll will get your distance.

Edited by Trainman327

"The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing"
Assyrian proverb

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
Henry David Thoreau

Fishing is only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Drop to 12# mono or go with 20# braid remember most fish are caught in the surf zone 60yards is plenty

Funny, I said almost the same thing on another thread about casting distance. Too often surf casters over cast.

"The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing"
Assyrian proverb

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
Henry David Thoreau

Fishing is only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• 2 months later...

If you are a righty, pull with left hand, don't push with right to load rod. Look at spot you are casting too. Good legwork helps. Last on your list should be equipment.

Work on developing good casting habits. There are some great instructional books, Ron Arra wrote a good one. 

I want to fish as much as I can before I go extinct.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call an 8' shakespeare contender a "distance casting rod". You'd get better distance on an actual surf rod. And a longer rod wouldn't hurt either.

But that's a pretty light lure...finding a surf rod rated for that weight might be difficult. I have a 10' that's rated 1-4oz but it won't go with less than 2. 3 is better.

Anyway, if you're hucking a 1.whatever sp minnow 60 yards on that rod I'd say you're doing pretty good.