MAGA

7" Bomber Magnum Long A 1.5oz.

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

. Less is more with Bombers.

Bombers up until the a-salt came out were always poor casters but not that bad.

With these plugs you have to use more finesse when casting if you want greater distance... casting hard will make them tumble. They do produce. The he jointed are great too and cast worse! Lol

So after this thread I told myself I'd make a concerted effort to utilize the bomber this upcoming season. Got my first two bass on bombers today, one during the day (schoolbus) one at night (blurple). Also got one on an SP minnow, but the bomber by far drew more strikes. The offshore winds helped with the cast and I believe the lack of current today made the bomber a more appealing choice than the SP. And as many above have stated, the slower it was fished, the better the results were. 

Cheers. 

Casts like crap! Took the hardware off and binned this one - you've been warned!

You are severely misinformed.  Proven big fish plug time and time again. And will pull fish at times when nothing else will... for decades... Maybe put the hooks back on and give it more than a couple casts.

Well I wouldn't bother. They certainly won't fit your casting parameters. 

:laugh:  Thanks! I'm only interested in the best tools

outstanding. I feel like this has some real potential if moved to the right forum.

So after this thread I told myself I'd make a concerted effort to utilize the bomber this upcoming season. Got my first two bass on bombers today, one during the day (schoolbus) one at night (blurple). Also got one on an SP minnow, but the bomber by far drew more strikes. The offshore winds helped with the cast and I believe the lack of current today made the bomber a more appealing choice than the SP. And as many above have stated, the slower it was fished, the better the results were.

Cheers.

For some reason I'm reminded of the Yogism, "baseball is 90% mental and half physical."

I believe John Skinner has a video on his YouTube page, where he talks all about loading plugs for better casting. He might even show a demonstration if I'm correct? Definitely good information there, check it out!

I have used all three of these lures discussed in this thread and like anything else have had mixed results with all of them. Most lures have a nich or a time and place for success, as has been discussed here. They are all great catchers of fish, but my favorite and one that I use often, to a fault at times, is the Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow. Sometimes when I see it coming in on the retrieve I want to dive in and hit it myself!

On 12/18/2016 at 0:11 PM, bunker86 said:

When casting to impress, which the thread sounds like, may I suggest a Hopkins.

Yup. Kastmaster is even better

I know the guys in NY say they won't leave home w/ out a darter...I won't leave home w/out my sp. I'll carry a variety of plugs at night but 90% of the time Im throwing an sp. If I need to I'll put on a Redfin but usually won't fish water that shallow. 

4 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Everyone forgot about the lowly mag darter?

I haven't. A proven producer in both the small and large sizes.

That said, my PB striper was on a 3 oz crippled herring of all things. Not something I pull out of the bag very often.

-bd